Geothermal heat pump or heat engine power requirements

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency and reversibility of a geothermal heating system that draws thermal energy from an underground reservoir. The system operates as a heat engine, with a theoretical efficiency of 15%, and requires 1180 W of power to distribute 1000 W of heat to the house. Based on this information, the heating system can be considered reversible within a 5% margin of error.
bkraabel

Homework Statement

In winter, you like to keep your house interior at 21.0 degrees C. Your geothermal
heating system, which was advertised as being reversible, draws thermal energy from an
underground reservoir at 347 K. In a cold winter, with the average outdoor temperature
being 0.0 degrees C, thermal energy escapes from the house at a rate of 1000 W +-5 percent.
Distributing the thermal energy supplied by the heating system throughout the house
requires 180 W (provided by the heating system). Is your heating system reversible
within your 5% margin of error, or was the advertisement false? Ignore any inefficiency
in converting electrical energy to mechanical energy

Homework Equations

For reversible heat pump, coefficient of performance is the maximum possible:
[itex]COP_{max} =\frac{T_{out}}{T_{out}-T_{in}}[/itex]
where [itex]T_{in}=273[/itex] K and [itex]T_{out}=294[/itex] K (I think).

For reversible heat engine (Carnot engine), maximum efficiency is
[itex]\eta_{max} =1-\frac{T_{out}}{T_{in}}[/itex]
where [itex]T_{in}=347[/itex] K and [itex]T_{out}=294[/itex] K (I think).

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how to relate these efficiencies (or anything else) to the power requirements of 1180 W. Also, I don't see how the outdoor temperature of 0 Celsius is relevant; it seems like we're just transferring heat from the ground to the house.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bkraabel said:

Homework Statement

In winter, you like to keep your house interior at 21.0 degrees C. Your geothermal
heating system, which was advertised as being reversible, draws thermal energy from an
underground reservoir at 347 K. In a cold winter, with the average outdoor temperature
being 0.0 degrees C, thermal energy escapes from the house at a rate of 1000 W +-5 percent.
Distributing the thermal energy supplied by the heating system throughout the house
requires 180 W (provided by the heating system). Is your heating system reversible
within your 5% margin of error, or was the advertisement false? Ignore any inefficiency
in converting electrical energy to mechanical energy

Homework Equations

For reversible heat pump, coefficient of performance is the maximum possible:
[itex]COP_{max} =\frac{T_{out}}{T_{out}-T_{in}}[/itex]
where [itex]T_{in}=273[/itex] K and [itex]T_{out}=294[/itex] K (I think).

For reversible heat engine (Carnot engine), maximum efficiency is
[itex]\eta_{max} =1-\frac{T_{out}}{T_{in}}[/itex]
where [itex]T_{in}=347[/itex] K and [itex]T_{out}=294[/itex] K (I think).

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how to relate these efficiencies (or anything else) to the power requirements of 1180 W. Also, I don't see how the outdoor temperature of 0 Celsius is relevant; it seems like we're just transferring heat from the ground to the house.
The problem is poorly drafted because this is not a heat pump. A heat pump causes heat flow from a cooler reservoir to a warmer reservoir. Mechancial work is needed to cause this heat flow. But in this case, the heat will flow without work. You just have to cause air to circulate through the hot reservoir and return to the house.You could run a heat engine between the geothermal reservoir and the house and heat the house that way. Reversing this would cause heat to flow from the house to the geothermal reservoir - that would be a heat pump.

AM

I agree with AM that a heat pump pumps heat, usually against the gradient. It could pump it with the gradient, it's true, but that is not useful. A reversible one can pump against the gradient in either direction, i.e. whichever way the gradient runs.
The description seems to be that of a heat engine, generating power (180W+) from the gradient. You know the source and sink temperatures and the heat flow, so you can calculate the theoretical power output. You can then compare that with the 180W. But what any of that has to do with 'is it reversible' I have no idea.

Likes 1 person
I agree with Haruspex that this does not appear to have anything to do with reversibility. The work output of the heat engine is not used to drive a thermodynamic process. It just facilitates natural heat flow. Furthermore, the heat is escaping from the 21° C house to a 0° C reservoir which is obviously not reversible. You don't need to do any calculation to see that even if you could save that output of the heat engine, there is no way to reverse the heat flow - more work would be needed due to the extra temperature difference.

AM

Likes 1 person
reversible heat engine

Ok, after further reflection, I think the device is working as a heat engine between the ground and the interior of the house. The "waste" heat is dumped into the house to keep it warm (1000 W) and the work (180 W) is used to distribute this heat. For a reversible (Carnot) engine, the efficiency is
[itex]\eta=1-\frac{T_{out}}{T_{in}}=15\%[/itex]
From the data given, we know that the heat engine draws 1180 W from the ground, so its real efficiency would be
[itex]\eta_{real}=W/Q_{in}=15\%[/itex]
which would suggest that this is, indeed, a reversible engine.

bkraabel said:
Ok, after further reflection, I think the device is working as a heat engine between the ground and the interior of the house. The "waste" heat is dumped into the house to keep it warm (1000 W) and the work (180 W) is used to distribute this heat. For a reversible (Carnot) engine, the efficiency is
From the data given, we know that the heat engine draws 1180 W from the ground, so its real efficiency would be
That looks right.

bkraabel said:
Does that make the heating system reversible? That was the question.

AM

I think it makes the engine a reversible engine because only a reversible engine can have the maximum theoretical Carnot efficiency.

Andrew Mason said:
Does that make the heating system reversible? That was the question.

If the original question has been quoted accurately, either it is a trick question or the questioner does not understand what is meant by a reversible heat pump. I would answer it with words like: The information provided gives no evidence either way on whether it is a reversible heat pump; it does however indicate that it is a reversible heat engine.

1. What is a geothermal heat pump?

A geothermal heat pump is a heating and cooling system that utilizes the natural heat of the earth to regulate the temperature of a building. It uses a series of underground pipes filled with water or refrigerant to transfer heat from the ground into the building during the winter, and to remove heat from the building and transfer it back to the ground during the summer.

2. How does a geothermal heat pump work?

A geothermal heat pump works by using a loop of pipes buried in the ground to transfer heat between the earth and a building. The pipes are filled with a fluid, either water or refrigerant, which absorbs heat from the ground and carries it into the building. In the summer, the process is reversed, with heat being removed from the building and transferred back into the ground.

3. What are the power requirements of a geothermal heat pump?

The power requirements of a geothermal heat pump vary depending on the size of the system, the climate, and the energy efficiency of the building. Generally, a geothermal heat pump requires less power than a traditional heating and cooling system, as it relies on the natural heat of the earth rather than burning fossil fuels. However, it does require electricity to power the pump and fan that circulate the fluid through the system.

4. How does a geothermal heat pump compare to other heating and cooling systems in terms of energy efficiency?

Geothermal heat pumps are among the most energy-efficient heating and cooling systems available. They can be up to 50% more efficient than traditional heating and cooling systems, as they do not rely on burning fossil fuels to create heat. This means that they can significantly reduce energy costs and carbon emissions.

5. What factors affect the power requirements of a geothermal heat pump?

The power requirements of a geothermal heat pump can be affected by a number of factors, including the size of the system, the climate, the energy efficiency of the building, and the type of loop system used (i.e. closed or open loop). It is important to have a professional assess your specific needs in order to determine the appropriate size and type of system for your building.