Find ε1: EMF Homework on Infinite Straight Wire & Conductor Loop

• Thread starter fredrogers3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf
In summary, a current carrying wire with a varying current is placed at a distance from a conducting loop. The wire's current increases from 0 to a maximum value, remains constant, then decreases linearly to a negative value, passing through 0 at a certain time. The loop has dimensions W = 30 cm and L = 61 cm, and is at a distance of d = 46 cm from the wire. The question asks for the induced emf at t = 7 s, which is determined to be negative, resulting in a counterclockwise current in the loop. This is due to the flux of the wire increasing downwards through the loop, requiring the magnetic field of the loop to be directed upwards in order to
fredrogers3

Homework Statement

An infinite straight wire carries a current I that varies with time as shown above. It increases from 0 at t = 0 to a maximum value I1 = 3.7 A at t = t1 = 14 s, remains constant at this value until t = t2 when it decreases linearly to a value I4 = -3.7 A at t = t4 = 30 s, passing through zero at t = t3 = 24.5 s. A conducting loop with sides W = 30 cm and L = 61 cm is fixed in the x-y plane at a distance d = 46 cm from the wire as shown.

What is ε1, the induced emf in the loop at time t = 7 s? Define the emf to be positive if the induced current in the loop is clockwise and negative if the current is counter-clockwise.

Image: http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7218/h17bfromwire.png

Homework Equations

See Below

The Attempt at a Solution

My question on the problem concerns the direction of the induced EMF. The key says it should be negative and thus a current going counterclockwise. I'm a bit confused by this. At time t= 7s, the flux is increasing because the current is increasing. Therefore, by Lenz' law, wouldn't there be an induced magnetic field into the page to offset this positive change in flux. If so, by the right hand rule, doesn't this mean that the current must flow clockwise in the loop. That's my rationale, I can't see where I'm going wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The flux of the wire is increasing downwards through the loop. That is according to the right-hand rule it is coming from the top downwards through the loop. This means that the magnetic field of the loop need to be directed upwards to decrease the flux so that the current in it will be counterclockwise.

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force. It is a physical phenomenon that describes the force exerted by electric and magnetic fields on charged particles.

2. What is an infinite straight wire?

An infinite straight wire is an idealized model used in physics to represent a long, thin wire with no end points. It is assumed to have uniform current flowing through it and it produces a magnetic field around it.

3. What is a conductor loop?

A conductor loop is a closed circuit made of a conductive material, such as a metal wire, that allows the flow of electrical current. It can be in the shape of a circle, square, or any other closed shape.

4. How do you calculate EMF for an infinite straight wire?

The EMF for an infinite straight wire can be calculated using the formula E = (μ0 * I) / (2 * π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire. The direction of the EMF is given by the right-hand rule.

5. How do you find the EMF for a conductor loop?

To find the EMF for a conductor loop, you can use the formula E = -dΦ/dt, where Φ is the magnetic flux through the loop and t is time. This formula is derived from Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced EMF in a closed loop is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.