Boolean logic expansion issue (POS -> CPOS)

In summary, to convert f=(x'+y)(x+z)(y+z) from product of sums form to the canonical product of sums, you can use the distribution rule to expand (x'+y) into (x' + y + z)(x' + y + z'). This simplifies the expression and makes it easier to work with. It's important to remember the rules of boolean logic, such as the distribution rule, in order to solve these types of problems efficiently.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Convert f=(x'+y)(x+z)(y+z) from product of sums form, into the canonical product of sums.

Homework Equations

boolean logic, et al.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is boolean logic (so + is "or" and * is "and" etc..)

There has to be some stupidly simple thing I am overlooking here. I chose to break it down and work each Maxterm by itself.

So the first thing to expand is:
(x'+y)
and so:
(x'+y) = x' + y + zz' since zz' = 0 this is okay.

Now here is the part I am not following.

I know that x' + y + zz' = (x' + y + z)(x' + y + z')

but I don't know how this expansion is happening.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just the distribution rule: ##A \cup (B \cap C) = (A \cup B) \cap (A \cup C)##.

PS. Learn the rules by heart, there aren't too many of them.

oh god your right.

Thanks.

I should have just wrote it out without all the + and * nonsense and I would have seen that.

What is Boolean logic expansion?

Boolean logic expansion is a process used in digital circuit design to simplify complex Boolean expressions. It involves breaking down a Boolean expression into smaller parts and applying logical operators to create a more concise and efficient expression.

What is the difference between POS and CPOS?

POS (Product of Sums) and CPOS (Canonical Product of Sums) are two different forms of Boolean expressions. POS is a sum of products expression, where the inputs are combined using OR gates and the outputs are combined using AND gates. CPOS is a more simplified form of POS, where the input terms are written in their most basic form and the output terms are combined using OR gates.

Why is Boolean logic expansion important?

Boolean logic expansion is important because it allows for the simplification and optimization of complex Boolean expressions. This can result in more efficient digital circuits, with fewer components and shorter delay times.

What are the steps involved in Boolean logic expansion?

The steps involved in Boolean logic expansion are as follows:

1. Convert the expression into its canonical form.
  2. Apply De Morgan's laws to the expression.
  3. Use distribution and absorption laws to simplify the expression.
  4. Combine terms using Boolean algebra rules.
  5. Check for common factors and simplify further if possible.

What are some common challenges in Boolean logic expansion?

Some common challenges in Boolean logic expansion include identifying the most efficient way to simplify the expression, dealing with expressions that have many terms or variables, and ensuring that the final expression is equivalent to the original expression.