How is integration order determined for the I-V relation of capacitors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the I-V relation for a capacitor and the process of deriving it. The mistake in the derivation is identified and it is explained that the mistake lies in the second line, where the chain rule is not applied correctly. The correct order of integration is also clarified.
iScience
I'm having a brain fart so this is just another silly question but...

when deriving the I-V relation for the capacitor:

$$C=\frac{dq}{dV}$$

$$\frac{d}{dt}C=\frac{d}{dt} (\frac{dq}{dV})=\frac{d}{dt}C=\frac{di}{dV}$$

from here, normally we're supposed to do the following

$$\int\frac{dC}{dt}dV=i$$

$$C\frac{d}{dt}V=i$$

$$C\frac{dV}{dt}=i$$

but even before integrating, where i have quantity: $$\frac{dC}{dt}$$ isn't this just zero?
in which case, if we integrate both sides with V i just get 0 on the LHS so i know it's not valid..
but why is it not valid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your initial equation is wrong. C isn't the derivative of charge with respect to voltage. C is the charge divided by voltage (Q = CV). Big difference.

Remember that current is defined as charge per unit time and you'll get it right.

]C isn't the derivative of charge with respect to voltage. C is the charge divided by voltage (Q = CV). Big difference.

the quantity:

$$\frac{q}{V}$$

is a density. but all densities can be expressed in terms of differentials no?

qualitatively, all i have done was reduce "the total amount of charge per the given amount of voltage"
to..
"the unit charge per unit voltage"

why is doing this invalid? we do this in physics all the time! we take bulk quantities and reduce them down to their "fundamental" unts. and because capacitance is a density (a ratio), the value should be the same, why shouldn't it be?

C=dq/dV holds if C is constant. Because q(t)=CV(t) hence differentiating wrt time and because C is constant in time we get dq/dt=CdV/dt or dq=CdV. However the mistake is in the 2nd line because using the chain rule of differentiation we get
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dq}{dV})=\frac{d^2q}{dV^2}\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{d^2q}{dV}\frac{1}{dt}[/tex]

...Well i have to say you ve blocked my mind as well. But somewhere along the 2nd line is the mistake cause we know dC/dt=0 while dI/dV isn't zero

Update:

Well something very strange , if we take the definition of [tex]d^2q[/tex] as second order differential we get two different things:

1) if we consider [tex]q(V)=CV[/tex] then [tex]d^2q=q''(V)dV^2=0 [/tex] since C is constant
2) if we consider [tex]I(t)=\frac{dq}{dt}[/tex] then [tex]\frac{dI}{dt}=\frac{d^2q}{dt^2}, d^2q=I'(t)dt^2[/tex] which obviously isn't identical zero...

Last edited:
aha! got it

indeed it was silly..

order of integration:

$$C=\frac{dq}{dV}$$

$$\int CdV=\int dq$$

$$\frac{d}{dt}CV=\frac{dq}{dt}$$

1. What is the I-V relation for capacitors?

The I-V relation for capacitors describes the relationship between the current (I) and voltage (V) across a capacitor. It states that the current through a capacitor is directly proportional to the rate of change of voltage across the capacitor.

2. How is the I-V relation for capacitors derived?

The I-V relation for capacitors is derived from the basic equation for capacitance, which is Q=CV (where Q is charge, C is capacitance, and V is voltage). Differentiating this equation with respect to time gives us the I-V relation.

3. What is the significance of the I-V relation for capacitors?

The I-V relation for capacitors is important because it helps us understand the behavior of capacitors in circuits. It allows us to calculate the current flowing through a capacitor at any given voltage, and vice versa.

4. How does the I-V relation for capacitors differ from that of resistors?

The I-V relation for capacitors differs from that of resistors in that it involves differentiation (rate of change) of voltage, while the I-V relation for resistors is a simple linear relationship (V=IR).

5. Can the I-V relation for capacitors be applied to all types of capacitors?

Yes, the I-V relation for capacitors is a fundamental principle that applies to all types of capacitors, regardless of their size, shape, or dielectric material. However, the values of capacitance, current, and voltage may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the capacitor.