Calculate Rolling & Friction for Ball Motion in Plane w/ Force Field

In summary: PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Utah and is a research associate at the University of Utah's Space Dynamics Laboratory.
jaumzaum
I want to describe the motion of a ball that rolls without slipping in a plane where acts a force field not in the direction of the motion. To illustrate better, the ball is put on the origin, there is a field h in y direction, and a velocity v0 in the x direction. There is also a friction force parallel to the plane in a way that the balls always rolls without slipping in the plane. How can I calculate y in function of x?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/280x200q90/673/08e7ea.png

I've tried to solve this, but I'm having problems. I know the only torque acting on the particle is Ff.R (Ff = friction force, R is the radius of the ball). So Ff.R = I.γ (I is inertial momment of the ball, γ is the angular acceleration). If I substitute I by 2/5 MR² and γ by a/R I get Ff = 2/5 Ma. But the problem is there, can I do this substitution? Also, is the direction of the friction force opposite to the instantaneous velocity of the particle? Is the ball is rolling in a way that [itex]\vec{ω}[/itex] is always perpendicular to [itex]\vec{v}[/itex]? I don't know how to go on from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the side force, you could imagine that the ball is rolling initially horizontally on an inclined plane, with force perpendicular to the initial velocity = m g sin(θ), where θ is the angle of the plane (from a level planel). The force is only initially perpendicular to the path; as soon as the ball starts to roll downwards on the inclined plane, a component of the force is in the same direction as the path of the ball.

Complicating matters is the fact that the ball's axis of rotation is yawing (relative to the plane), and I'm not sure if some type of gyroscopic precession effect would be involved and/or if a twisting torque occurs at the point of contact (assuming zero slippage).

Last edited:
What sort of force field is h? Is it the gravitational field? if it isn't the gravitational field what is the formula for the force exerted by the h field to the ball? Do we also assume there is gravitational field in this problem (perpendicular to the x-y plane of the given figure)?

Well anyway seems to me that the condition imposed of "rolling without sliding" means that the velocity of the c.o.m is always equal and opposite of the linear velocity of the point of contact , hence the friction force is also in the opposite direction of the c.o.m velocity.

Delta² said:
Well anyway seems to me that the condition imposed of "rolling without sliding" means that the velocity of the c.o.m is always equal and opposite of the linear velocity of the point of contact , hence the friction force is also in the opposite direction of the c.o.m velocity.

Sorry I forgot to say
There is a gravitacional field perpendicular to the Sheet, otherwise there would be no friction

Force exerced on ball is m h

See my article " The polygon model of rolling friction" in the journal IJEERT

This is not so simple. Rolling balls have angular momentum that change in direction by external forces:
$$ \textbf{τ} = \frac{\partial\mathbf{L}}{\partial{t}} $$
and cyrcular radius varies.

As per Reynolds experiments the distance advanced by the wheel in on revolution is less than 2πR when the wheel is deformed at the contact area, which is in agreement with my model "Polygon Model of rolling Friction" The distance advanced by the wheel in one turn is only the perimeter of the polygon inscribed in a circle corresponds to the deformation.
Dr. Muhammed Arif M

1. How do I calculate the rolling and friction for ball motion in a plane with a force field?

To calculate the rolling and friction for ball motion in a plane with a force field, you will need to use the equations for rolling resistance and frictional force. The rolling resistance equation takes into account the weight of the ball, the force of gravity, and the coefficient of rolling friction. The frictional force equation considers the normal force, the coefficient of friction, and the angle of the plane. By plugging in these values and solving the equations, you can calculate the rolling and friction for ball motion in a plane with a force field.

2. What is the coefficient of rolling friction?

The coefficient of rolling friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the resistance to rolling motion between two surfaces in contact. It takes into account the nature of the surface materials, the roughness of the surface, and other factors that affect the friction between the surfaces. The coefficient of rolling friction can be experimentally determined or found in tables for different materials.

3. How does the angle of the plane affect the rolling and friction for ball motion?

The angle of the plane affects the rolling and friction for ball motion because it changes the normal force and the component of the weight of the ball that acts on the plane. As the angle of the plane increases, the normal force decreases, resulting in less friction. However, if the angle becomes too steep, the ball may slip or slide down the plane due to a decrease in the normal force.

4. Can the force of gravity affect the rolling and friction for ball motion?

Yes, the force of gravity can affect the rolling and friction for ball motion. It is a component in the rolling resistance equation and can also affect the normal force and the angle of the plane. A stronger force of gravity will result in a higher rolling resistance and potentially a greater normal force, depending on the surface and angle of the plane.

5. What is the difference between rolling and sliding friction?

Rolling friction occurs when an object, such as a ball, rolls over a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the object and the surface as they come into contact. Sliding friction, on the other hand, occurs when an object slides over a surface. It is caused by the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In terms of ball motion, rolling friction is typically lower than sliding friction, as the ball is not sliding but rather rolling over the surface.