Cleaning a Telescope's Mirror: Tips and Techniques

In summary, if the coating is visibly degraded, the mirror needs to be recoated. Cleaning is normally done with distilled water and isopropyl alcohol, but if the coating is degraded enough it needs to be recoated.
BOAS
Hello,

I have access to a pretty big telescope, at least when compared to others I've played with. I'm itching to set it up but the mirror is not in great shape. It has been in storage for a long time and there looks to be some corrosion.

I was wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of before I try to clean it, or if anyone has any tips?

It's 300mm in diameter and the telescope was built in Stockholm in 1997 according to a brass plaque on its mount.

I have attached a picture of the corrosion. It's a little hard to tell what you're looking at since it's a mirror but you can see it contrasted on the white background (off white, but center image) of a support strut. There are a few such marks.

It's not really mine (a friend of the family's, but he is aware of it's condition and has given permission for us to use it in exchange for storing it :) ), so I don't want to go doing anything that's going to cause damage.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1406731705911.jpg
    1406731705911.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
If the coating is degraded enough to be visually noticeable, the mirror needs recoated. I'm guessing it still has the original coating, making it about 17 years old. That's about as much life as you can expect from a coating. The 'good news' is it only costs a couple hundred to recoat a mirror of that size. Cleaning is normally done using distilled water and isopropyl alcohol. It's not a task to be taken lightly. The risk of damaging the mirror/coating far outweighs any improvement you are likely to realize. It takes a rather shocking amount of dirt to noticeably affect performance.

Chronos said:
If the coating is degraded enough to be visually noticeable, the mirror needs recoated. I'm guessing it still has the original coating, making it about 17 years old. That's about as much life as you can expect from a coating. The 'good news' is it only costs a couple hundred to recoat a mirror of that size. Cleaning is normally done using distilled water and isopropyl alcohol. It's not a task to be taken lightly. The risk of damaging the mirror/coating far outweighs any improvement you are likely to realize. It takes a rather shocking amount of dirt to noticeably affect performance.

Thank you for your advice - i'd hate to do it any unnecessary damage by hastily cleaning it.

I think i'll put it all together and see how it performs before I go spending that kind of money. I'm still very much a beginner and I think it might be more telescope than I can handle at this point anyway.

Between the three of us at home that are interested, getting it fixed is affordable though.

How I used to do it:
dismount the mirror and hold it under running water to dislodge dust. Let most of the water drop off, and then "chase" the rest of the drops with one of those camera lens blower things - the kind where you squeeze a rubber bulb to make it blow air.
Never touch the mirror with a solid object (like a rag or something), unless you want zillions of tiny scratches all over it.
I let a particular mirror sit for about 10-15 years and this method no longer worked - the gunk became kind of cemented and would not dislodge. Never did get it clean.

1. How often should I clean my telescope's mirror?

The frequency of cleaning a telescope's mirror depends on how often you use it and the environmental conditions in which it is stored. Typically, it is recommended to clean the mirror every 6-12 months. However, if you notice a significant decrease in image quality, you may need to clean it more frequently.

2. Can I use regular household cleaners to clean my telescope's mirror?

No, regular household cleaners are not suitable for cleaning telescope mirrors. They often contain harsh chemicals that can damage the delicate coatings on the mirror. It is best to use specialized telescope mirror cleaning solutions or isopropyl alcohol and distilled water mixture.

3. How do I know if my telescope mirror needs cleaning?

If you notice a significant decrease in image quality or see dust, fingerprints, or smudges on the mirror, it is time to clean it. You can also perform a "star test" by focusing on a bright star. If the star appears fuzzy or has a halo around it, it may indicate a dirty mirror.

4. Do I need to remove the mirror from the telescope to clean it?

It is not necessary to remove the mirror from the telescope to clean it, but it is recommended for larger mirrors. If you are not comfortable removing the mirror, you can clean it while it is still in the telescope. Just make sure to take extra care not to damage any other components of the telescope.

5. How should I dry the mirror after cleaning?

After cleaning the mirror, you should use a lint-free cloth or compressed air to gently dry the surface. Avoid using regular towels or paper towels as they can leave scratches on the mirror. It is crucial to ensure that the mirror is completely dry before using it again to avoid water spots.