Solve Mechanics Problem: Find Magnitude of Force at t=2s

• Thread starter HMPARTICLE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the problem involves a 3 kg object moving in a plane with x and y coordinates given by x = 5t^2 - 1 and y = 3t^3 + 2, with t in seconds. The goal is to find the magnitude of the force acting on the object at t= 2s. The solution involves finding a vector expression for acceleration, which can be found by differentiating the expressions for x and y. The net force is the product of mass and acceleration.
HMPARTICLE
1. The problem

A 3 kg object is moving in a plane with its x and y coordinates given by x = 5t^2 -1 and y = 3t^3 +2 where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Find the magnitude of the new force acting on this object at t= 2s

2. My attempt.

So my first attempt is to find a vector expression for acceleration. I integrated the expressions for x and y to give

V subx = 5/3 t^3 -t +c

To find the constant on integration I found the position of the particle at t=0 and t=2. Therefore calculating the velocity at 2 seconds. Thus the constant of integration for this expression is -4/3

The velocity at 2s being 10i+12j ms^-1

I have done the exact same process for velocity in the y direction and reached an expression for Vsuby .

My problem is I'm not sure how to get a valid expression for acceleration, and this seems like a really long winded way of answering this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have an expression ##\mathbf{r}(t) = (x(t), y(t))## for position, wouldn't velocity be ##\dot{ \mathbf{r}}## and acceleration ##\ddot {\mathbf{r}}##?

HMPARTICLE said:
1. The problem

A 3 kg object is moving in a plane with its x and y coordinates given by x = 5t^2 -1 and y = 3t^3 +2 where x and y are in meters and t is in seconds. Find the magnitude of the new force acting on this object at t= 2s

2. My attempt.

So my first attempt is to find a vector expression for acceleration. I integrated the expressions for x and y to give

V subx = 5/3 t^3 -t +c

To find the constant on integration I found the position of the particle at t=0 and t=2. Therefore calculating the velocity at 2 seconds. Thus the constant of integration for this expression is -4/3

The velocity at 2s being 10i+12j ms^-1

I have done the exact same process for velocity in the y direction and reached an expression for Vsuby .

My problem is I'm not sure how to get a valid expression for acceleration, and this seems like a really long winded way of answering this question.

Why are you integrating? How are force and acceleration related? Define acceleration!

The net force on the object is the product of mass and acceleration. However I am being asked for the magnitude of the force on the object. I'm struggling to see how I can work with the expression for its displacement to get an expression for its acceleration so I can multiply its mass to get an expression for the net force

How is the position related to velocity? How is velocity related to acceleration?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1406907739.713390.jpg

Got it! God I'm such a simpleton at times! I was inter grating when I should have been differentiating :(

1. What is a mechanics problem?

A mechanics problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion and forces acting on objects. It often requires the use of equations and principles from classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to solve.

2. How do you solve a mechanics problem?

To solve a mechanics problem, you first need to identify and understand the given information, such as the initial conditions and forces acting on the object. Then, you can use equations and principles from classical mechanics to analyze the motion and solve for the desired quantity, such as the magnitude of force at a specific time.

3. What is the magnitude of force at t=2s?

The magnitude of force at t=2s refers to the size or strength of the force acting on an object at a specific time, in this case, t=2 seconds. It can be calculated using equations such as Newton's second law (F=ma) or by analyzing the forces acting on the object.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a mechanics problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a mechanics problem include using incorrect units, not considering all the forces acting on the object, and making calculation errors. It is essential to double-check your work and make sure all equations and principles are applied correctly.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in mechanics?

You can improve your problem-solving skills in mechanics by practicing and familiarizing yourself with different types of problems. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles of classical mechanics and to work on breaking down and organizing the given information in a problem. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.