Vegetarian Meals: Tasty & Affordable for Vegans

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I don't think meat substitutes can ever really compare to the real thing. If you're considering going vegetarian, be sure to do your research first and make sure you're getting all the nutrients your body needs.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can they be as tasty as meat? How much do you have to spend to make a
good vegy meal? Any vegans here ?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Can they be as tasty as meat? How much do you have to spend to make a
good vegy meal? Any vegans here ?

I turned into a vegetarian when I read that book called "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. I consider meat to be flesh, and eating flesh doesn't seem appetizing to me anymore, even though some of my family members are non-vegetarians. However, I feel sort of good being a vegetarian like a feeling of cleanliness. That's just how I feel.

I was thinking of the cost of being a vegy, and the availability of ingredients,
I doubt i could buy all from my local village shop, but then i do not know what
is needed for a healthy vegy diet.

Please tell me you are not considering veganism?

My mum has been a vegetarian on and off for most of her life, she has been steadfastly vegetarian for around 5/6 years now and is very near to being vegan.

On a light handed note: if you have a veggie to dinner and they requested a special meal (ie vegetarian) and then offer you an invite to dinner is it ok to request a special meal (ie meat)?

ughhhhh you also need to add vitamin supplements, and need to be sure you are getting enough protein, your calcium intake is also reduced and the body often runs short on viatmin D

I eat meals with meat, and vegetarian meals as well. Personally, I would feel very ill if I ate vegetarian all the time as I have been borderline anemic for awhile. Beans don't cut it for me either, I need to have some meat now and again, especially since I am currently pregnant.

One of my favorite vegetarian meals however has lentils, okra, stewed tomatoes, corn, cumin all served over rice. I love to eat fresh salads and pasta bakes with zucchini, peppers, tomato sauce and cheese too. I would say a majority of my meat eating though consists of shell fish and poultry--tempura fried oysters are my biggest weakness currently.

*Kia* said:
Please tell me you are not considering veganism?

My mum has been a vegetarian on and off for most of her life, she has been steadfastly vegetarian for around 5/6 years now and is very near to being vegan.

I am considering substituting some meat for vegy meal, i do not eat that much meat any way, but the vegy meal would have to come close in tastiness.

There are degrees of vegetarianism, and the meals are great. What happens is that meat eaters tend to focus on the meat dish, and treat all the rest as a "side dish". Vegetarians tend to focus on the whole meal and the food value found in all parts of it. Complimentary proteins make whole proteins if taken within the same 24 hour period. So, whole grain bread, and nuts on fruit with yogurt makes a fine breakfast, and pasta with vegetables and cheese if you want, or whole grain pasta with tofu chunks and marinara is good for a complete noon meal, a large salad with nuts and sprouts, cheeses and peppers, with whole grain bread, or a soup with beans and wild rice makes a great dinner. There are a lot of inexpensive vegetarian meals that are easy to prepare.

The other part of this is the head game, if you convert from omnivorous to vegetarian, and feel that life without meat is unhealthy, remember that we take in far too much fat and protein in the US and it shows. The other thing is to eat to live, rather than living to eat. It is way easier to be mostly vegetarian, then your home is full of fiber rich foods, and organic produce, whole grain breads and so forth. Then eating at the relatives once in a while is less of a problem, and eating out with friends is less of a discussion piece, though most cuisines have vegetarian entrees, let me make a list of some.

Pizza with everything but meat, on whole grain crust
Cheese Ravioli in marinara, Minestrone soup, Four Cheese Lasagna, Eggplant Parmesan,
Tofu Stir Fry dishes at Vietnamese or Chinese restaurants
(Almond Chicken, with tofu subbed for chicken.)
Cheese rellenos, nachos without meat, bean burritos, bean and cheese burritos, vegetarian tamales, cheese enchiladas,
enmolatas, egg and potato breakfast burritos,
Breakfast out, if you eat eggs, the egg, toast and potato plate, or yogurt granola and toast, or french toast, Crepes

Veganism is also a good way to eat, but requires some careful planning, and understanding of the nutritional values of things.

People eat better as vegetarians when they throw out trying to have foods that are like traditional meat meals, and just go for a more international cuisine and find the vegetarian dishes from everywhere. Often these dishes are the food of peoples that can't afford to eat high on the food chain, but yet live well.

It is understood that a diet rich in fiber, brightly colored vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and lower in fat in general, especially saturated fats and cholesterol; will help us to be healthier, and more vibrant, longer.

Kerrie said:
I eat meals with meat, and vegetarian meals as well. Personally, I would feel very ill if I ate vegetarian all the time as I have been borderline anemic for awhile. Beans don't cut it for me either, I need to have some meat now and again, especially since I am currently pregnant.

One of my favorite vegetarian meals however has lentils, okra, stewed tomatoes, corn, cumin all served over rice. I love to eat fresh salads and pasta bakes with zucchini, peppers, tomato sauce and cheese too. I would say a majority of my meat eating though consists of shell fish and poultry--tempura fried oysters are my biggest weakness currently.

Congratulations.

I am not sure if that meal is tasty, it sounds a bit bland, do use herbs and
spices to pep it up.

Dayle,

I will have to start googling, i do not recognize most of these.

Tofu Stir Fry dishes at Vietnamese or Chinese restaurants
(Almond Chicken, with tofu subbed for chicken.)
Cheese rellenos, nachos without meat, bean burritos, bean and cheese burritos, vegetarian tamales, cheese enchiladas,
enmolatas, egg and potato breakfast burritos,

One thing that I do is keep a variety of beans, organic stewed tomatoes, pasta, and canned corn around. I have on hand soy sauce, yoshida sauce, hot sauce, ginger, garlic, onions. I keep fresh fruit, fresh vegetables in season, and frozen items in the freezer, such as salmon patties, shrimp, seafood mix, organic eggs, organic yogurt, and granola. The fat I use for everything is light olive oil, which has no flavor, but is a monounsaturated fat. This works for baking, sauteeing, or salads.

I will make a sudden soup of one can of basil stewed tomatoes, one can of black beans, one can of corn, and whatever vegetables I have on hand thrown in. This soup is a complete protein, and will last for three or four servings for one person, at roughly a cost of three dollars. This soup requires a can opener, a pan, a knife to cut vegetables. I add a little soy sauce as a base, and garlic and onions.

Another item that is great to have on hand is salsa, and green enchilada sauce, or salsa verde as it is called. Green enchilada sauce turns rolled up tortillas into something really tasty, regardless of what you stuff them with.

Vegetarian meals are easily as good (or better) as meat-based meals. Meat-based meals primarily taste good because of their high calorie concentration (blunt taste), while vegan meals utilize subtle flavors. Many vegetarian meals have a lot of cheese or eggs, utilizing high calorie concentration to taste good.

Vegetarian meals tend to cost more than meat-based meals due to low availability. The difference isn't too much if you find good sources.

I'm vegan. I cook totally vegan pizzas, enchiladas, and stews often. My meat-loving older brother constantly asks me to make enchiladas. I'm not very good at making crusts, however. Know any good recipes/techniques?

As for supplements, you need them if you don't watch what you eat. Protein isn't a problem if you eat cheese, eggs, tofu, or nuts (peanut butter is good and some types are complete proteins). Protein combining is considered unnecessary by most vegans.

Vitamin D is gotten from sunlight and some plants. If you can't get 15 minutes a day of sun or eat the proper foods, then you'll want supplements. Calcium usually isn't a problem, either. Milk, while rich in calcium, decreases calcium absorbtion. Vegans need get B12 fortified foods or supplements due to modern agricultural practices.

Falafel is one of my favorit foods! You use canned chick peas if you want..its about the same end results.

This Middle Eastern dish is also known as ta’amia.

8 oz (225g) chick peas
1 onion, very finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 slice of white bread, soaked in a little water
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. coriander, ground
1 tsp. cumin, ground
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
salt, to taste
oil for frying

Soak the chick peas overnight.
Cover with plenty of fresh water and cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hours until tender.
Pound or blend the chick peas to a purée.
Squeeze out the bread and add to the chick peas together with the rest of the ingredients. Knead well for a few minutes.
Let the mixture rest for 1-2 hours, then roll between the palms into firm 1” balls. (Wetted hands make this easier).
Heat oil (at least 1 inch deep) in a pan to about 360° F, 180°C, and fry the balls, a few at a time, until nicely brown all over — about 2-3 minutes.
Drain and serve hot with lemon wedges.

Falafel with extra protein, and a bit faster to make.

2 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
4 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1 green onion, chopped
1 onion, cut into chunks
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon corn oil

In a food processor or blender puree chickpeas. To the chickpeas add garlic, peanut butter, green onion, onion, egg, coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper and soy sauce; process until well mixed. Shape into balls, using about 1 tablespoon for each.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Brown balls on all sides.

In addition, whale is yummy!

Here is an article regarding prostate and veganism. There are some foods that forestall serious health crises, if taken in moderate quantities over time.

Fiber from whole grains, and fruit, takes away the cholesterol that would be reabsorbed in your lower intestine. Many environmental toxins are stored in fatty tissues, and in the fats as they transit the digestive system. High fiber is good for reducing the toxin load, along with plenty of clean water.

Bright red, green and blue vegetables are full of anti oxidants, and the colored parts keep the macula in the eyes in good working order. These foods protect the eyes and skin, and help with the repair process. The antioxidant qualities of blue berries, cranberries, pomegranate, grape skins, pear skin, pecans, are highly protective against cancers, and toxin buildup in the body. A handful of nuts a day is protective against heart disease, especially when the diet is low in fat and cholesterol to begin with, and high in tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and the vegetables associated with the Mediterranean diet. Dairy products from range fed cattle are high in conjugated linoleic acid which is a fatty acid that helps with keeping a proper muscle to fat ratio, and the meat from range fed animals has a better sort of fat for us, than grain fed, or lot fed cattle. Monounsaturated vegetable fats are better than any other fat for human consumption. Anyway, low meat consumption and high fiber and fresh fruit and vegetable consumption is optimal for health. Beans are also a good source of this mysterious fiber, seeds, nuts, whole grains etc. There are a few easy switches that can be made, like using brown rice pasta, that has virtually no taste difference, but takes a little more time to cook.

Many outstanding books have been written on this subject, and medicine has only recently caught up with what whole food enthusiasts have been touting for decades.

The article, sorry.

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_2932193

Falafel, sounds good Hypatia, i will gather all the stuff together and give it a try

Arildno, i do not know where to buy whale meat, i doubt if it is sold in the UK,
and i like whales.

wolram said:
Arildno, i do not know where to buy whale meat, i doubt if it is sold in the UK,
and i like whales.
I'm sure you can get some on the Orkneys or Shetland Islands.
I like whale, too...

arildno said:
I'm sure you can get some on the Orkneys or Shetland Islands.
I like whale, too...

Just out of interest what does whale meat taste like? please do not say chicken.

wolram said:
Just out of interest what does whale meat taste like? please do not say chicken.
:rofl:
No, if I were to compare it to something, I'd say it tastes a bit like liver (ok, I know that isn't an animal, but it is the best I can do), but is a lot better.

Just had some black current summer pudding, yummy.

wolram said:
Just had some black current summer pudding, yummy.
I ate a lot of self-picked mushrooms yesterday (without the whale); also yummy.

arildno said:
:rofl:
No, if I were to compare it to something, I'd say it tastes a bit like liver (ok, I know that isn't an animal, but it is the best I can do), but is a lot better.

I know some people love offal, but it makes me feel ill just thinking about eating it, strange, i like bacon, but ham especially when it is being boiled has the same
effect :yuck:

I hear there are great Indian restaurants in the UK. A lot of their dishes are vegetarian and you sure won't be at a loss of flavor.

I tried being vegetarian for a while (couldn't properly maintain it while at college). If anyone thinks that vegetarian is like eating a bowl of blanched vegetables, then I can understand why it would seem sickening. The standard "western" diet many times centers around meat so cutting out the meat would seem like cutting out most of the meal. This isn't necessarily so with food of other cultures. Definitely experiment with tofu. Make sure to use a lot of flavoring and cut it into small pieces (the firm kind) if you're not too familiar with the taste. Although I'm use to the flavor of tofu, I would say that its value is more in its texture, flavor absorption, and fillingness. Of course, you can't go wrong with beans. As for flavoring, I highly suggest trying Indian food and following some of their recipes.

Good luck!

arildno said:
I ate a lot of self-picked mushrooms yesterday (without the whale); also yummy.

Horse mushrooms cooked with garlic butter, Agree yummy.

wolram said:
Horse mushrooms cooked with garlic butter, Agree yummy.
When I looked at the picture of the horse mushroom, I suddenly realized that it was probably edible (and tasty) toadstools I picked, rather than mushrooms (I've never understood that distinction).

Jelfish said:
I hear there are great Indian restaurants in the UK. A lot of their dishes are vegetarian and you sure won't be at a loss of flavor.

I tried being vegetarian for a while (couldn't properly maintain it while at college). If anyone thinks that vegetarian is like eating a bowl of blanched vegetables, then I can understand why it would seem sickening. The standard "western" diet many times centers around meat so cutting out the meat would seem like cutting out most of the meal. This isn't necessarily so with food of other cultures. Definitely experiment with tofu. Make sure to use a lot of flavoring and cut it into small pieces (the firm kind) if you're not too familiar with the taste. Although I'm use to the flavor of tofu, I would say that its value is more in its texture, flavor absorption, and fillingness. Of course, you can't go wrong with beans. As for flavoring, I highly suggest trying Indian food and following some of their recipes.

Good luck!

Indian restruants have had some bad press around here, but i am sure the
food is good, what should a beginner look for?

Well they shot them selves in the foot.

On the other hand, even if these whales were threatened with extinction - so what? Species have come and gone since the beginning of time, both with and without human help. Ever seen a Brontosaurus in the flesh? No. Nature's way is the survival of the fittest - and right now, the fittest is us. Getting rid of the whales would simply leave more fish for us - but this is not really an issue, there are plenty of small ugly whales that no sensible person cares about, just waiting to be served up with chips and ketchup.

wolram said:
Well they shot them selves in the foot.

On the other hand, even if these whales were threatened with extinction - so what? Species have come and gone since the beginning of time, both with and without human help. Ever seen a Brontosaurus in the flesh? No. Nature's way is the survival of the fittest - and right now, the fittest is us. Getting rid of the whales would simply leave more fish for us - but this is not really an issue, there are plenty of small ugly whales that no sensible person cares about, just waiting to be served up with chips and ketchup.
I'm sorry; I didn't bother to read the dumb views there; I merely saw it contained a few recipes.. :redface:

It is, however true, that the "bay whale" (vågehval) is very common, and under no danger of extinction.

Last edited:
Arildno, what, "toadstools", have you been eating, are you sure they are safe?

wolram said:
Arildno, what, "toadstools", have you been eating, are you sure they are safe?
This is one of them:
http://www.wormnes.no/soppsiden/soppene/seks_sikre/matriske.htm
It sure doesn't look nice, but it is completely safe and very tasty!

I don't know whether you would classify it as a "toadstool" or "mushroom", though..(I think toadstool)

This is one of the others I picked: http://fuv.hivolda.no/prosjekt/espelra/soppstein.htm
I believe this would be classified as "mushroom"

Last edited by a moderator:
I think mushroom, for edible fungi, i do not remember a cook book that mentions
toadstools, may be there is a distinction.