New to Solidworks? Free Documentation & Tips for Cutting Angled Pipes"

• Thread starter physicsCU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solidworks
In summary, you can use the same techniques for cutting angled sections in pipes in Solidworks as you would in Pro/E. First, you need to establish a sketch datum and orientation. Then, you need to dimension the triangle to give you the angle you want. Finally, you need to extrude the cut in both directions. Easy-peesy!
physicsCU
I am new to SW. Is there a good book that i can use (free documentation preferred).

Also, more to the point, i have a pipe, but i need to cut off an angled section on one end in order to have an angled end.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am sure it would be the same in Pro/E as it is in solidworks. You simply need to extrude a cut to eliminate the material you want to get rid of.

I am sure you have to have a datum plane running down the longitudinal axis of the pipe...right? Use that as your sketch plane. You should be looking at the pipe from the side view so it looks like a rectangle. Now, draw a triangle at one end that will represent the angled section you want to remove. Simply orient the triangle so that the angled surface is in the orientation you want. You can draw the triangle much larger than the pipe if you want. It just can't be smaller. Next, dimension your triangle to give you the angle you want, where you want it in reference to the pipe. Then, simply extrude that cut in both directions over a distance equal to the diameter of the pipe.

Easy-peesy.

Let me know if you need more help on this.

I think i am having issues with the triangle part. I am not getting the sketch to work for the triangle.

Here is what I am doing. I can draw the triangle, but I know the angle I want to cut at, but how do I get this into the triangle sketch? I guess I am unclear on the dimensioning part.

If I got you right about the problem you need to 'associate' the geometry of your extrusion cut with that of the pipe. The 'associate' meaning that you use the other end point of the pipe in your datum plane (at the pipe circumference) as the sharp-tip of the triangle (using it as a reference point, or as a reference vertex when you're sketching the triangle). The other dimensions of the triangle can exceed those of the pipe (and usually the cut operation works better if they do).

physicsCU said:
I think i am having issues with the triangle part. I am not getting the sketch to work for the triangle.
Here is what I am doing. I can draw the triangle, but I know the angle I want to cut at, but how do I get this into the triangle sketch? I guess I am unclear on the dimensioning part.
Again, a Pro/E answer for you that may help...

So just be sure, you're not having any problems establishing your sketch datum and orientation?

After we complete the lines for a particular part of a sketch, the Intent Manager automatically assigns the resultant dimensions to those line entities. So in this case, once I drew the three lines of the triangle, three dimensions would automatically appear. At that point, I can double click on them to change them to fit my needs, or add others. If this isn't happening, can you check to see if you have a dimensioning tool? If so, add the dimensions manually and then change them to match your needs. I'll see if anyone around here has Solidworks experience.

No issues with the datum or orientation.

I have the dimensioning tool, but i can't see anywhere to angle this thing. Maybe I am looking at it wrong though.

Thanks for your help so far!

I've sent you a private message with my email addy.

deckart,

i just sent you the part. Thanks for looking at that.

sorry for the slow reply, i had a full day today.

What is Solidworks and what can it be used for?

Solidworks is a computer-aided design (CAD) software that is commonly used in the engineering and manufacturing industries. It allows users to create 3D models of objects and assemblies, perform simulations and analyses, and create technical drawings.

How can I get help with Solidworks?

There are a few ways to get help with Solidworks. You can refer to the software's user manual and online tutorials, join online forums and communities, or seek assistance from a certified Solidworks instructor or consultant.

What are some common issues encountered when using Solidworks?

Some common issues with Solidworks include difficulties with installation and system requirements, crashes or freezes, compatibility issues with other software, and errors or issues with specific commands or features. It is important to regularly update the software and seek assistance from official support channels if needed.

Is Solidworks suitable for beginners?

Solidworks can be used by beginners, but it does have a steep learning curve. It requires some technical knowledge and experience with CAD software. However, there are many resources available for beginners to learn the basics and improve their skills with the software.

Can Solidworks be used for 2D designs?

Although Solidworks is primarily a 3D modeling software, it does have 2D drawing capabilities. Users can create 2D sketches and drawings within the software, but it may not have the same level of detail and precision as dedicated 2D design software.