Digital Cameras: Recording Progress on Drawing in One Day

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drawing
In summary: and then it's gone for a while. I think it has a lot to do with how I process my images: I work extremely fast, and I don't always take the time to clean up my lines.
hypatia said:
Hmmm, when I looked at the FloweryThing I got a brief wiff of Patchouli.
Hmmm...am I getting a brief whiff of syaesthesia?

A few months ago I met a woman who said the colored pencil drawings made her hear beautiful music. She said she could play it for me on her keyboard sometime. We never got around to it, but I wish we had when I think about it. I'm very curious to know what my drawings sound like.
Just a beautiful use of color and form!
Just for that, I'm going to title it "Detail Of A Hypatia In Bloom".

("FlowerThingy" isn't a title: just something to call it since it had no title.)
coffee na lang dear said:
i envy how you could make things so very beautiful...i also wish i can see and draw things the way you did. :cool:
Just for that, I'll name one after you, too. (What does your name mean, anyway?)

Science news on Phys.org
Zooby, I love them! The colors are beautiful, the way the lines flow is so soothing. I would love to have these in my house.

:smile: Lovely, zooby.

Evo said:
I would love to have these in my house.
How much could you sell them for? Like upwards of $2,000? Just slap "Van Gogh" on the back and that gets you extra at ANY yard sale !

zoobyshoe said:
Just for that, I'll name one after you, too. (What does your name mean, anyway?)

'coffee na lang dear' means 'just coffee dear' and i really do love coffee and that's my sweet way of asking a cup of coffee:smile: by the way my name's Pam...:wink:

they don't look like van gogh... he was a painter... with big wide brush strokes... like, his art is really obviously his... you'd have a bout as much luck calling zooby's work picasso's.

Evo said:
Zooby, I love them! The colors are beautiful, the way the lines flow is so soothing. I would love to have these in my house.
Thanks, Evo. That's really nice to hear. I have a few of them framed and hung, and they really add a lot of zing to the walls of the zoobie brush shelter.
fi said:
:smile: Lovely, zooby.
Thanks, Fi!
'coffee na lang dear' means 'just coffee dear' and i really do love coffee and that's my sweet way of asking a cup of coffee:smile: by the way my name's Pam...:wink:
Hm...I'll cogitate on how to turn that into a title. I always draw them first, then think up something to call them when they're done. Sometimes I figure it out quickly, with others I never seem to hit on a good idea.

Mk said:
How much could you sell them for? Like upwards of $2,000? Just slap "Van Gogh" on the back and that gets you extra at ANY yard sale !
I'm really kinda attached to them.
Gale said:
they don't look like van gogh... he was a painter... with big wide brush strokes... like, his art is really obviously his... you'd have a bout as much luck calling zooby's work picasso's.
I guess they are pretty individual, although I didn't think so until I tried to show several people how to work in this style. I used to take all my pencils with me to this particular cafe and draw there. When people stopped and complimented me on the drawings I would invite them to sit down and draw with me. Quite a few of them took me up on it, but they usually said "I don't know what to draw." So, I would tell them just to doodle. Put anything down, and then search for a color that went particularly well with the first one. Alot of them asked for lessons in doodling the way I did, and so I'd show them step by step. NO ONE could get the hang of it. I can't really understand why, because the way I lay the lines down seems obvious and natural to me. I guess it underscores how everyone's physiology is different.

Evo Evening

EvoEvening640.jpg

Last edited:
Gale #17

Gale17640-.jpg

Last edited:
The Hypnagogue's Guide To Terra Incognita

TheHgoguesGuideToTIncognita--.jpg

Last edited:
Evo said:
:!) :!) :!) I LOVE IT!
Ah, good. I was debating between "An Evening With Evo" and "Evo Evening". I still may think of something better.

They were all supposed to be the same size as Hypnangogue's. I resized them at photobucket, but screwed something up, or they're not working right. Gale's is too big, and I can't seem to shrink it.

Edit: I think I got them all more the size I originally wanted them now.

Last edited:
The Coffee Cantata

TheCoffeeCantata640-.jpg

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
Hmmm...am I getting a brief whiff of syaesthesia?
A few months ago I met a woman who said the colored pencil drawings made her hear beautiful music. She said she could play it for me on her keyboard sometime. We never got around to it, but I wish we had when I think about it. I'm very curious to know what my drawings sound like.
Just for that, I'm going to title it "Detail Of A Hypatia In Bloom".
("FlowerThingy" isn't a title: just something to call it since it had no title.)

Now that is quite a honor, thank you!
For more info on Hypatia look here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia

hey, thanks for the piece zoob! Your art is really beautiful and fluid-- I can't believe you complained to me a while ago that you had a hard time getting your lines to flow (or something along those lines). No matter how you went about it, the end results on the abstract pieces is really elegant.

Question about your art-making binges-- what's it like? I used to get similar urges when I was younger. Then when I went through some hard late teenage years it sort of morphed into a situation where I'd get those kinds of urges when I had lots of negative emotion pent up and drawing and writing served as a kind of cathartic act (remarkably effective actually). Since I've settled down though I've found that for the most part I no longer get those urges at all.

hypnagogue said:
hey, thanks for the piece zoob! Your art is really beautiful and fluid-- I can't believe you complained to me a while ago that you had a hard time getting your lines to flow (or something along those lines). No matter how you went about it, the end results on the abstract pieces is really elegant.
Wow, thanks! That's really nice to hear.
The thing about the lines is this: if you're doing, say, a human figure, the edge of an arm, say, can be drawn as one continuous line from shoulder to hand with all the curves corresponding to the proper muscles and features of that arm. I've met artists who can pretty much do that really nicely in one shot. I can't at all. I have to make that edge up of many joined line segments working on each curve separately, correcting each curve several times. Your drawings looked more like the former to me, where the lines looked to be smooth and continuous in one shot.
There's a certain range of lines that I can do that look smooth and flowing if I stick to the limits of what comes out naturally . In the colored pencil drawings I limit myself to that range. I couldn't go to a life drawing class and do a whole figure with nice, smooth lines: there are too many that are out of my range.
When I looked at your drawings, and also Gale's, I could see that, although they're not as finished as mine, the basic elements you both did demonstrate, were already better than mine. There were other people, too, who had strengths they could exploit if they wanted to, and probably be very good artists.
Question about your art-making binges-- what's it like?
It's like that "I'm really motivated" circuit from the thread in Mind & Brain has kicked in. I feel exited and motivated. I don't think I experience it as a catharsis. (That is more likely to be the case with writing.)

Those are beautiful zoob. It must be very satisfying to see your work come together in front of you. What's that like? Do you think it is any different for an artist as it would be for say, an engineer building a bridge?

Many years ago I was taking an architectural engineering class at Wentworth University. I was expecting we would start with simple floorplans and use lots of straight edges and measuring devices. Instead we began by drawing simple shapes and learning how to "see" a picture. Some of the tasks we did were drawing a picture from memory with our eyes closed when we put the pencil to the paper. Another was drawing a picture that was presented to us right side up, up side down. I found that a lot of the things that I see I take for granted.

I wasn't very good at it, but I was impressed with some of the things I drew considering I had never done it before. I still have my work from that class kicking around here somewhere. If you like I'll take some pictures and post them sometime. May be a while because of my move, but I'll get around to it eventually if you want to see some of them.

Again, you draw beautifully.

zoobyshoe said:
TheCoffeeCantata640-.jpg
hey zoob..:smile: not sure to comment...errr...you do this for me? If yes, thanks a lot and feel honored though...If not, I do appreaciate the work not only this but ALL.

You're really a genius zooby:smile: ...when is the exhibit? :biggrin:

i don't know about my work personally. Seeing all yours made me go back and look at a few of my doodles and sketches. I really love the colored ones and I'm thinking maybe of trying out some color. But i should probably do a regular drawing like I'm used to first.

The things with my drawings is that i feel like i can't get any depth. maybe because they're abstract? i wish i could take a drawing class or something. the more i think about it, i could never draw portraits like those. everything i do also looks a bit cartoony. i don't know how to break that.

also, thanks for the piece named for me! course now I'm 18... so is there a Gale #18 coming?!? hehe.

Huckleberry said:
Those are beautiful zoob. It must be very satisfying to see your work come together in front of you. What's that like?
Thanks, Huck. It's nice to hear you like them.

Some parts of some drawings are very satisfying to work on. Others are frustrating. Like I said earlier, about every third one I start ends up in the trash, even after several hours of work. I also do a lot of erasing. (You can erase colored pencil if your paper is tough enough, down to a faint pastel stain, and it'll be OK if you draw over that section with rich enough colors.) So, I'd call the whole thing more of a problem solving or trial and error challenge than a monocoque satisfying experience. I enjoy looking at them when they're done.
Do you think it is any different for an artist as it would be for say, an engineer building a bridge?
Engineering has got to be much, much tougher because the engineer has to worry about so many more things than visual appeal.
Some of the tasks we did were drawing a picture from memory with our eyes closed when we put the pencil to the paper. Another was drawing a picture that was presented to us right side up, up side down. I found that a lot of the things that I see I take for granted.
It sounds like you had good instructors. Those are tough excercizes. Yeah, you might start a thread sometime, explain the assignment, show your results, and challenge people here to try it too.

hey zoob..:smile: not sure to comment...errr...you do this for me? If yes, thanks a lot and feel honored though...If not, I do appreaciate the work not only this but ALL.
You're really a genius zooby:smile: ...when is the exhibit? :biggrin:
Well, I drew it a while ago, but never had any title for it, so I named it after you because I appreciate your enthusiasm. Alot of my drawings don't have titles yet, so this is a good opportunity to think some up. The Coffee Cantata becomes a fairly clever title, since you like coffee enough to name yourself "Just coffee, dear." Check this out:
http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=18769

Last edited by a moderator:
Zoob I must say that all your drawings where very excellent and great to look at, thank you.

Gale said:
i don't know about my work personally. Seeing all yours made me go back and look at a few of my doodles and sketches. I really love the colored ones and I'm thinking maybe of trying out some color. But i should probably do a regular drawing like I'm used to first.
You ought to try doodling with the colored pencils along with practise with the regular pencils. You have to get real art colored pencils, though. Sanford Prismacolors are the best. Every art store has them. They're expensive and worth every penny. Crayola and other kids colored pencils are crap.
The things with my drawings is that i feel like i can't get any depth. maybe because they're abstract? i wish i could take a drawing class or something. the more i think about it, i could never draw portraits like those. everything i do also looks a bit cartoony. i don't know how to break that.
The strengths you have are that you have a good sense of form and proportion, good lines, and you're not shy. When I was a teenager all my drawings were way too light and sketchy. I was pretty much afraid to commit myself, and they didn't have any depth either. Drawing classes can be really good. I've seen people come out of them with tremendous improvement in their skill. In the meantime a good book is Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain by Betty Edwards. Most libraries have it.
also, thanks for the piece named for me! course now I'm 18... so is there a Gale #18 coming?!? hehe.
Well, I can tweak that title some more, remove the number, and still have the name "Gale" in it since the drawing looks rather like a gale blowing things around. I'll cogitate on it.

Zoobyshoe: do you hang out here at all?

http://www.deviantart.com

Nice Online community of Artists... I like it especially the graphic design stuff

JCCol said:
Zoob I must say that all your drawings where very excellent and great to look at, thank you.
Well, I'm very happy you like them. I appreciate your saying so.

Anttech said:
Zoobyshoe: do you hang out here at all?

http://www.deviantart.com

Nice Online community of Artists... I like it especially the graphic design stuff
No, never heard of it. I'll look the site over. (That first page looks a little too anime and goth, though.)

zoobyshoe said:
Well, I drew it a while ago, but never had any title for it, so I named it after you because I appreciate your enthusiasm. Alot of my drawings don't have titles yet, so this is a good opportunity to think some up. The Coffee Cantata becomes a fairly clever title, since you like coffee enough to name yourself "Just coffee, dear." Check this out:
http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=18769

hahahah...:rofl: there's just one 'little' comparison between me and Betty though. Betty insists to have her little demitasse of coffee three times a day and I average 7 to 10 cups a day and you can say I'm one hell of a coffeeholic :rofl:...but i am :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Two For Math Is Hard:

Jessifission:

jessifission.jpg

Jessifusion:

Jessifusion640.jpg

They are beautiful and I am deeply honored!

Zooby, HOLY SH*7 . I used to draw all the time when I was younger with my best friend. You are F***in AMAZING! Kudos, you have my highest respect, seriously. That is beyond impressive. That takes tallent you can't get with time. Either you have it or you dont, and you do. I should buy one from you, how much you want?

I have set the young Einstein as my background on my computer. I would like to buy it from you, how much you want for it? Actually, if you could make it large, so that I could frame it, say 2'x3' or somewhere around that size, that would be nice. I will put it in my study.

Last edited:
Wow, how did I miss this thread?
All of them look great, zooby!:smile:
( I like the colorful 1s more!)

Math Is Hard said:
They are beautiful and I am deeply honored!
And you honor me with your gracious acceptance of the titles.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Zooby, HOLY SH*7 . I used to draw all the time when I was younger with my best friend. You are F***in AMAZING! Kudos, you have my highest respect, seriously. That is beyond impressive. That takes tallent you can't get with time. Either you have it or you dont, and you do. I should buy one from you, how much you want?

I have set the young Einstein as my background on my computer. I would like to buy it from you, how much you want for it? Actually, if you could make it large, so that I could frame it, say 2'x3' or somewhere around that size, that would be nice. I will put it in my study.
Your enthusiasm is much appreciated, cyrus. Glad you like the Einstein! (Lemme cogitate on your offer and get back to you by PM. I want to get a couple more things up that Math told me I should post.)

Math said I should post some pictures she's seen of my old scultpures:

"Giant Mystery Skull"

giantmysteryskullimp.jpg

"Framework"

framwk.jpg

Two more coming, I'm having trouble with the image size.

"Japan Ascending"

jpNaS.jpg

Portrait of Beethoven:

beetburnbetterwcontrast.jpg