Debunk me, please #2 (lasers/masers)

• Thread starter RunDMC
  • Start date
In summary: Sorry if it's not appropriate.In summary, the shorter the wavelength of the laser used to create the maser/laser the more it spreads out. This is relevant to the question of whether or not you could make a laser/maser the size of a house or planet by the time it traveled such long distances. However, the paper suggests that you could focus a narrow beam for (theoretically) 100s of L.Y. and maintain or 'focus' a narrow beam.
RunDMC
Hi to all, another debunking request, if I may.

I've heard it said that the shorter the wave used to create a maser/laser the more it spreads out (from high school: 'blue is bent, and brief'). Is that true?

What I'm trying to work out is: could you make a really, really straight laser that would get no bigger in diameter than, say 15 metres over a distance of 10-25 light years? I don't have the maths/physics to work out if a laser/maser would be the size of a house or a planet by the time it traveled such long distances.

[I'm trying to settle a bet about whether those scorched patterns which appear on the side of our planet from time to time could be 'etched' on using a laser/maser from a VERY long way away. Extra brownie points if you can name the scorched patterns I'm thinking of.]

Thanks! :smile:

Science news on Phys.org
Hi RunDMC. This and your previous question are appropriate for the regular engineering or physics forums. The Skepticism and Debunking is for fringe subjects - evidence and observations. :smile:

Patterns etched on the side of the planet? Hydro electric systems with no dam? Seems fairly fringe to me -- feel free to send me back to skepticism as this thread progresses!

Although I suppose I am asking for real physics knowledge and advice on maser/lasers and (in the other question) angular momentum. Thanks! :smile:

RunDMC said:
Hi to all, another debunking request, if I may.
I've heard it said that the shorter the wave used to create a maser/laser the more it spreads out (from high school: 'blue is bent, and brief'). Is that true?
What I'm trying to work out is: could you make a really, really straight laser that would get no bigger in diameter than, say 15 metres over a distance of 10-25 light years? I don't have the maths/physics to work out if a laser/maser would be the size of a house or a planet by the time it traveled such long distances.
[I'm trying to settle a bet about whether those scorched patterns which appear on the side of our planet from time to time could be 'etched' on using a laser/maser from a VERY long way away. Extra brownie points if you can name the scorched patterns I'm thinking of.]

You have it backwards - shorter wavelengths will diffract less.

For detailed calculations, you might want to look at

http://www.coseti.org/radobs14.htm

For a fully-illuminated 10 meter diameter telescope system, operating at a
wavelength of 656 nm at a range of 10 light years (632,420 A.U.), for which
THETA3 = 0.0138":

D = 0.0381 A.U.

To get to 15 meters, you'd have to increase the telescope size proportionately, or decresae the wavelength.

.0381 Astronomical Units = 5 699 683 800 meters

So you need a *lot* of improvement to get 15 meters at 10 light years

This is using the "FWHM" (full width half maximum) beamwidth, other definitions of beamwidth may give slightly different figures.

Thanks for the link

Thanks for the link. The paper seems to suggest you could focus a narrow beam for (theoretically) 100s of L.Y. and maintain or 'focus' a narrow beam.

Darn, my bet had been that a beam would spread far too wide to etch a pattern with features less than 15m in detail from 10-25 LY (based on some pop science I recalled of how big a laser pointer beam would be on the moon). :smile:

RunDMC said:
Thanks for the link. The paper seems to suggest you could focus a narrow beam for (theoretically) 100s of L.Y. and maintain or 'focus' a narrow beam.

Darn, my bet had been that a beam would spread far too wide to etch a pattern with features less than 15m in detail from 10-25 LY (based on some pop science I recalled of how big a laser pointer beam would be on the moon). :smile:

And so it will be, unless you have a VERY large lens. Even Robert Forward's proposal of using a Jupiter sized (200,000 km) fresnel focusing lens will give you a beam width that's much larger than 15 m at 10 lightyears at optical frequencies.

RunDMC said:
Extra brownie points if you can name the scorched patterns I'm thinking of.]
The Nazca lines in Peru!

Last edited:
Or the Crop circles..lol!

As for that part, that's not fringe, that's nuts! :biggrin:

This was a essentially a physics question but I did cringe bit when I moved it.

What are lasers and masers?

Lasers and masers are devices that emit intense beams of light or microwave radiation, respectively. They work by stimulating atoms or molecules to emit radiation in the form of photons, which are then amplified and directed in a specific direction.

Can lasers and masers be used interchangeably?

No, lasers and masers have different properties and are used for different purposes. Lasers are typically used in optics and telecommunications, while masers are used in scientific research and communication systems.

Are lasers and masers dangerous?

Lasers and masers can be dangerous if not used properly. The high intensity of their beams can cause eye and skin damage, and certain types of lasers and masers can also cause fires. It is important to follow safety protocols when working with these devices.

Can lasers and masers travel through space?

Yes, lasers and masers can travel through space. They are often used in satellite communications and are being explored as a potential means of interstellar communication.

Are there any other applications of lasers and masers?

Yes, lasers and masers have a wide range of applications, including cutting and welding materials, medical treatments, and scientific research. They are also used in barcode scanners, DVD players, and other consumer electronics.