Can any1 explain vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad?

• Thread starter zedjay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad is derived from the general equations for position and velocity under constant acceleration. By making the appropriate substitutions and solving the equations, we can arrive at the final formula. Understanding the derivation of the equation can be more helpful than simply memorizing it.
zedjay
Hi

can anyone explain the logistics of vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad to me? i mean its one thing to simply remember the equation but, to understand how they came about it is way more helpful.

thx a lot :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the proof:
1) [tex] X = \frac{V_{f} + V_{i}} {2} \Delta t
[/tex]
you can prove this with an integral. (constant acceleration)
2) [tex] a = \frac{V_{f} - V_{i}}{ \Delta t }
[/tex]
3)[tex] \Delta t = \frac{V_{f} - V_{i}}{ a }
[/tex]
4) [tex] X = \frac{V_{f} + V_{i}} {2} \cdot \frac{V_{f} - V_{i}}{ a }
[/tex]

5) [tex] X = \frac{V_{f}^2 - V_{i}^2} {2 a}
[/tex]

6) [tex] V_{f}^2 = V_{i}^2 + 2 a X
[/tex]
:smile:

Last edited:
Here's another way. Start with the general equations for position and velocity under constant acceleration:
[tex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]
[tex]v = v_0 + a t[/tex]
Make the following substitutions: [itex]x_0 = 0[/itex], [itex]x = d[/itex], [itex]v_0 = v_i[/itex] and [itex]v = v_f[/itex].
Solve the two equations together to eliminate [itex]t[/itex], then rearrange to solve for [itex]v_f^2[/itex].

Thx alot

ohhhh now i c,
why didnt i see that?
thanks a lot :biggrin:

1. What is vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad?

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad is a physics equation that represents the relationship between an object's final velocity (vf), initial velocity (vi), acceleration (a), and displacement (d).

2. How is vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad derived?

This equation is derived from the kinematic equations of motion, specifically the equation vf = vi + at. By squaring both sides and substituting for displacement (d = vit + 1/2at^2), the equation vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad is obtained.

3. Why is vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad important?

This equation is important because it allows us to calculate the final velocity of an object when we know its initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement. It is also used to analyze the motion of objects in both one and two dimensions.

4. What are the units for vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad?

The units for this equation depend on the units used for velocity (m/s), acceleration (m/s^2), and displacement (m). The units for the final and initial velocity will be in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

5. Can vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad be used for all types of motion?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration remains constant. However, if the acceleration is not constant, this equation will not accurately represent the motion of an object.