What is the electrostatic force between two atoms?

• Thread starter hello1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the conversation is about how gravity is similar to electrostatic force. Every atom in one object has negative and positive charges, and the gravitational force is associated with mass not charge.
hello1
We put ball A and ball B by distance R, every atom in ball A has some positive charges and some negative charges, same as atoms in ball B.

Now suppose every positive charge in ball A attracts every negative charge and repells every positive charge in ball B, and verse visa.

Now we have all the single force add up, we find it equals to f=gxm1xm2/rxr

I once did some calculation, it sounds looked right, but now I forgot the details.

So, I believe, gravity is the shadow of electrostatic force.

An easier way to see this is to put two atoms apart and calculate the forces between all positive and negative charges.

You may find I was right. If not, please let me know why, be appreciate.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello1 said:
We put ball A and ball B by distance R, every atom in ball A has some positive charges and some negative charges, same as atoms in ball B.
OK, but realize that the net charge on each ball is zero.
Now suppose every positive charge in ball A attracts every negative charge and repells every positive charge in ball B, and verse visa.
That's exactly what happens.
Now we have all the single force add up, we find it equals to f=gxm1xm2/rxr
Nope. The electrostatic force is zero. On the other hand, the gravitational force, which is associated with mass not charge, is given by Newton's law of gravity.

hello1 said:
I once did some calculation, it sounds looked right, but now I forgot the details.

sounds looked like a crank turning to me.

Why is an atom attracts another atom? They are both zero net charged.

My point is even in every atom the net charge is zero, but the distance between positive charge and negative change between two atoms will smaller than same charges.

The net force end up a mighty small percentage of the electrcostatic attration force. This is what we called gravity.

And the point of everyone who has answered is that you are wrong. Very delicate have been done to determine precisely the force given by the difference in distances you are talking about- they do not give anything like the gravitational force. It is also well known that "neutron stars"- which have NO positive or negative charges at all- have strong gravitational fields.

hello1 said:
My point is even in every atom the net charge is zero, but the distance between positive charge and negative change between two atoms will smaller than same charges.
The net force end up a mighty small percentage of the electrcostatic attration force. This is what we called gravity.
Do you mean that oppisite charges will be pulled together?
That also won't cause an attraction, cause an equal amount of + and - charges will be pulled from each atom, so for example, a + charge in mass1 pulls a - charge from mass2 closer to it, but at the same time a + from mass2 is being pulled by a - in mass 1...

hello1 said:

Where EXACTLY does another attom "attracts" another atom? In molecules? In solids? Have you studied what happens there? Have you heard of orbital HYBRIDIZATION? Have you looked at what KINDS of atoms that can form such a thing? Have you studied orbital bonding and why certain atoms can form such bonds while others can't?

No?

Well you SHOULD, at least BEFORE you put forward such outlandish speculation. You may also want to re-read the PF Guildlines on speculative posting before you proceed any further.

Zz.

hello1 said:
Well... because your idea is wrong. It isn't magnetism, it's gravity.
Nope. Still wrong. An object that has all it's magnetic poles aligned in such a way as to not have a balanced (note: unbalanced doesn't mean it isn't still zero) charge is a magnet. Magnets don't behave anywhere near the way objects in gravity behave.

Why is gravity has the same nature as electical force? Is any other force has the form of f=c m1m2/rr?

hello1 said:
Why is gravity has the same nature as electical force? Is any other force has the form of f=c m1m2/rr?

That isn't a good enough reason! There are MANY instances in physics where the mathematical forms are similar. Doesn't mean they are all the same phenomena sharing the same mechanism! If this is your only argument for your "theory", you have a lot of holes to plug.

Furthermore, electric fields are not the result of ANY "shielding" of anything. Yet, this is how you are modelling your gravitational interaction. So in your model, gravity and electric field are of a DIFFERENT nature. So it is YOU who has to account for why they have the same dependence on distance!

I'm guessing you realize why your argument on why neutral atoms "attract" one another is no longer valid.

Zz.

Let's see this way. Calculate the force between one atom in ball A and another in ball B.

Suppose the sample atom has p3 and e1, e2, e3 chagres, it is nutraul. The distance between the center of the two atoms is r, it is much larger than the dr which is the radin of the atom, then we have F=fp3e1+fp3e2+fp3e3+fp3e1+fp3e2+fp3e3-fp3p3-fe1e1-fe1e2-fe1e3-fe2e1-fe2e2-fe2e3-fe3e1-fe3e2-fe3e3.

It end up an attraction force, it increases with the mass (total charge) and decreases with distance square.

Last edited:
Dear PF member,

The thread has been locked because it contains opinions that are contrary to those currently held by the scientific community. This is against the Posting Guidelines of Physics Forums.

If you would like to discuss your ideas, we invite you to submit a post to the Independent Research Forum, subject to the applicable guidelines, found https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82301.

We appreciate your cooperation, and hope you enjoy the Forums.

The Staff of Physics Forums

hello1 said:
Let's see this way. Calculate the force between one atom in ball A and another in ball B.
Suppose the sample atom has p3 and e1, e2, e3 chagres, it is nutraul. The distance between the center of the two atoms is r, it is much larger than the dr which is the radin of the atom, then we have F=fp3e1+fp3e2+fp3e3+fp3e1+fp3e2+fp3e3-fp3p3-fe1e1-fe1e2-fe1e3-fe2e1-fe2e2-fe2e3-fe3e1-fe3e2-fe3e3.

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all matter with mass is brought towards each other. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun, and the moon around the Earth. It is also responsible for objects falling towards the ground when dropped.

How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting mass. The more massive an object is, the more gravity it has, and the more it can pull other objects towards it. This is why larger objects like planets have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects like rocks.

What is the relationship between gravity and mass?

The relationship between gravity and mass is directly proportional. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull will be. This is why larger objects with more mass, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects.

What is the role of gravity in the universe?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the universe. It is responsible for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. It also keeps these celestial bodies in their orbits and maintains the balance in the universe. Without gravity, the universe would not function as we know it.

Can gravity be explained by any laws or equations?

Yes, gravity can be explained by Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is expressed as F = G(m1m2)/d^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.