C is only a component of light speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of light as an electromagnetic wave and the misconception that the photons themselves oscillate up and down. The expert explains that it is the electric field carried by the photons that oscillates, not the photons themselves. The conversation also mentions how high school physics books often do not clarify this concept.
Quadratic
I'm just thinking that since light is an electromagnetic wave, it must move sinusoidally. So, wouldn't it just be going forward at the speed of "c", while the wave itself would be going up and down as well? And if that's the case, wouldn't the actual speed of the photons be much faster if the wave was more stretched out? I'll try to draw what I mean:
Code:
          c -->
  ___              ___
 /    \           /     \    
/      \         /       \    
        \       /         \    
         \___/           \
I may be completely wrong on this, but if so, why?

Science news on Phys.org
Quadratic said:
I'm just thinking that since light is an electromagnetic wave, it must move sinusoidally. So, wouldn't it just be going forward at the speed of "c", while the wave itself would be going up and down as well? And if that's the case, wouldn't the actual speed of the photons be much faster if the wave was more stretched out? I'll try to draw what I mean:
Code:
c -->
___              ___
/    \           /     \    
/      \         /       \    
\       /         \    
\___/           \
I may be completely wrong on this, but if so, why?

You probably do not realize that what is "oscillating" is not photons, but rather the electric field that is being carried by each of these photons. The photons themselves do not wiggle up and down in space.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You probably do not realize that what is "oscillating" is not photons, but rather the electric field that is being carried by each of these photons. The photons themselves do not wiggle up and down in space.

Zz.
Ahh. Well then... I guess I learned something. Thanks.

It took me until I entered College physics for the first time to actually figure that out. High School physics books are really bad at showing you that, they show you this little picture of light traveling sinusoidally, never actually tell you that the y dimension in that graph is not a distance, but the intensity of the electric (or magnetic) field as the photon travels in the x direction.

~Lyuokdea

I think you mean amplitude, not intensity.

1. How does C being a component of light speed affect our understanding of the universe?

C being a component of light speed means that it is a crucial factor in determining the speed of light. This has implications for theories such as relativity and our understanding of the laws of physics.

2. Is C the same as the speed of light?

Yes, C refers to the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is often used as a constant in equations related to light and other electromagnetic radiation.

3. How does C being a component of light speed relate to the concept of spacetime?

C being a component of light speed is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. This is crucial in understanding the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by objects in motion.

4. Can anything travel faster than C?

No, according to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because an object's mass would become infinite as it approaches the speed of light, making it impossible for it to go any faster.

5. How is C calculated and measured?

C is calculated using the equation c = 1/√(μ0ε0), where μ0 is the permeability of free space and ε0 is the permittivity of free space. It is measured using various methods, including using the speed of light in a vacuum as a reference point and measuring the time it takes for light to travel a certain distance.