Musical Instruments, do you play one? I play Keyboard

In summary, the conversation revolves around various individuals sharing their experiences and preferences in playing musical instruments. They discuss their backgrounds and the instruments they have played, as well as their favorite genres and songs to play. They also offer advice and suggestions for learning and playing music, with a focus on expressing emotion through playing. The conversation ends with a mention of a favorite composer, Chopin.
timejim
January of 2002 I started taking lessons. I play using the new Casio WK 3000. Really a professional board, fabulous sounds. I read music quite well. Just do it as a hobby from 1 to 3 hours per day. What about you all? Oh yes, I play all types of music. I especially like Elton John "I guess that's why they call it the Blues". I play as much Beatles and BG's as I can find as well as oldies. Relaxes me.

Science news on Phys.org
Yeah, like many Asian-Canadians I was 'forced' to play an instrument.

Piano, for close to 10 years. It was horrible for me. I didn't even know how I got started, all I knew was that I was forced to do it. It was fun towards the end, but a drudgery in the middle of that time.

Then I played Alto Saxophone during Middle school/Jr. High.

I use to have a Casio keyboard. They are pretty well made. My parents gave it away, but if I were to purchase another keyboard it would probably be another Casio, Roland or Yamaha.

Clarinet for six years.

I have taken piano lessons but decided to quit early on.

i learned piano until my tutor died, but I am going to buy a bass guitar soon!

I play the Piano, Clarinet, and alto Sax. I enjoy the Piano the most. One of my favorite songs to play on the piano is Moonlight Sonata 1st movement. I enjoy listening to the 3rd movement of Moonlight, but I don't think I could ever play something that goes that fast.

I play the piano, I stick to classical. I love blues and some jazz but for whatever reason it's classical that I really feel. I haven't taken lessons in years and don't have a piano avaibile for me to play these days, but I will always stick with it.

What I find so amazing about music is when you play and completely feel the music, it seems like it opens your soul and you express completely your raw emotion through the music.

Anyway I just got a guitar and am just working on getting down as many chords as I can right now. Anyone have any suggestions for songs to start with? If so Thanks

Originally posted by null

What I find so amazing about music is when you play and completely feel the music, it seems like it opens your soul and you express completely your raw emotion through the music.

Anyway I just got a guitar and am just working on getting down as many chords as I can right now. Anyone have any suggestions for songs to start with? If so Thanks

Play what you enjoy. I think you will find the guitar a very expressive instrument, judging by your post. Your piano background should help you learn quickly.

As for myself, I played field drum and concert snare in High school. I bought a house several years ago and the previous owner left a very cheap electric guitar. I started playing that, then I bought a better one that I found at a yard sale. I also play violin, bass, piano, drum kat (an electronic set of drum pads).

I don't consider myself much of an entertainer. I am better at song writing, which is why I learned the piano. I play well enough to show other people who play better how my songs should sound, then they improve on them.

I play the piano, I stick to classical. I love blues and some jazz but for whatever reason it's classical that I really feel. I haven't taken lessons in years and don't have a piano avaibile for me to play these days, but I will always stick with it.

Sit down and learn to play any Pink Floyd album, especiallt The Wall, and you will be well on your way, simply because those albums cover a lot of musical styles and techniques.

Originally posted by Zero
Sit down and learn to play any Pink Floyd album, especiallt The Wall, and you will be well on your way, simply because those albums cover a lot of musical styles and techniques.

Good advice. I love David Gilmore's guitar work. There is a lot of feeling in his playing, which should apeal to Null.

Originally posted by Artman
Good advice. I love David Gilmore's guitar work. There is a lot of feeling in his playing, which should apeal to Null.
Oh yeah, and there are even some piano and keyboard parts for Null to mess around with...I learned to play guitar from David Gilmour, and even though my style has moved on, you can still hear his influence in my playing.

Originally posted by Miles
I play the Piano, Clarinet, and alto Sax. I enjoy the Piano the most. One of my favorite songs to play on the piano is Moonlight Sonata 1st movement. I enjoy listening to the 3rd movement of Moonlight, but I don't think I could ever play something that goes that fast.

I'm with you, Miles. I've been playing the piano for some time, and have actually attempted (not completely unsuccessfully) to play the 3rd movement of the Moonlight Sonata, but I prefer playing the 1st and listening to the 3rd.

My favorite composer to play is probably Chopin, though, since he wrote some excellent Nocturnes, and I like Nocturnes (particularly that Nocturne in C-sharp that Adrien Brody played in "The Pianist"...I finally found the music to it, and really enjoy playing it).

I play the piano and violin, but lately it's been primarily piano. I started playing by ear when I was about five when hearing my mother play Beethoven's Fur Elise, and I found it a profoundly moving instrument capable of producing profoundly moving music.

I too enjoy Beethoven's 14th, "Moonlight Sonata", but I too have some difficulty with the third movement. It's an interesting sonata simply for the fact that he inverted the "normal" progression of movements and started with the adagio to end with the presto. The first Beethoven piano sonata I learned to play was his 8th, "Pathetique", but the first movement is considerably more difficult than the other two. His 23rd, "Appassionata", is also great fun to play.

Chopin is difficult for one of two reasons, imo: physical and/or emotional expression. Many of his ostensibly simpler pieces are simply difficult to express emotionally, because relegating the repetitive chords to mere mechanics leaves the music devoid of feeling, and the quality greatly suffers. His Prelude in E Minor is a perfect example of this.

I thoroughly enjoy most any of Mozart's piano concertos, specifically: 20th, 21st, and 23rd. The second movement to his 23rd, and the 2nd movement to his 20th are my absolute favorites. I can play some of the pieces, but lacking an orchestra leaves me wanting. :)

There are of course an almost infinite number of notable pieces, but we can't discuss them all.

It's great to see people interested in classical music.

I wish I could play piano like that
An old lady, family friend, used to teach me.. but it didn't get much farther than simple songs, I tried to get my hand on some interesting pieces, but didn't know where to look..

I dìd play quatremain though, which was really cool :) I probably still know the piece by heart after 10 years not playing.. but ofcourse I'd need two more hands :)

I'm self taught on piano. My parents wouldn't let me take lessons because they paid for lessons for my older brother & he wasn't interested. I never understood the logic behind that. So I'm terrible, but I enjoy playing anyway. The first piece I slaughtered was Moonlight Sonata. It's still my favorite.

Originally posted by Zero

Will do Thanks!

Originally posted by Evo
I'm self taught on piano. My parents wouldn't let me take lessons because they paid for lessons for my older brother & he wasn't interested. I never understood the logic behind that. So I'm terrible, but I enjoy playing anyway. The first piece I slaughtered was Moonlight Sonata. It's still my favorite.

After you learn the notes, a great way to teach yourself piano is to learn the chord forms. Once you learn the major chords you just add the 7ths, 9ths, (etc) minors, augmented and then start to learn the inversions. Then you can play any thing with a melody line and chord symbols. That is how I taught myself piano. I am not overly good, but I can sit down and play or even write music. Beats the heck out of reading every note.:wink:

Will do Thanks!
Cool! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask...I can still play most of the Pink Floyd stuff from memory.

After you learn the notes, a great way to teach yourself piano is to learn the chord forms. Once you learn the major chords you just add the 7ths, 9ths, (etc) minors, augmented and then start to learn the inversions. Then you can play any thing with a melody line and chord symbols. That is how I taught myself piano. I am not overly good, but I can sit down and play or even write music. Beats the heck out of reading every note.:wink:
My Yamaha keyboard died in the last basement flood. But I am still very musically inclined. I sing and I am constantly making up songs.

Last edited:
I have a nice electronic keyboard. Back in July I was in the midst of using it to help me compose The Zoobie Cantata when I discovered the internet and got sucked into its inescapable gravity.

I play the stereo. My friend, who passed on twenty years ago, had a wall of 24 Large Advent speakers driven by two MacIntosh 2300 stereo amps (pushing out nearly 2400 RMS watts total from two 20A input house circuits) in his basement. As Alan would say - "Kick ass!"

I play the piano too and I adore Chopin's Nocturnes!

Does anyone here know how to play Fantaisie Impromptu? It's the FASTEST Chopin piano piece I've encountered!

Right now, I'm attempting Chopin's Ballade No. 1 in G minor. It's just so brilliantly played in 'The Pianist'.

Played trombone for 6 years. Still kind of know how to play, but haven't for like 2 years.

-cpbs-

Originally posted by Monique
I wish I could play piano like that
Me too, I really want to learn how to play the piano. I can play very very very simple songs using both hands and play the melody of more complicated songs using my right hand though. My friends teach me sometimes when I go to their houses. Sometimes I really envy those who know how to play musical instruments.

Originally posted by evo
I'm self taught on piano. My parents wouldn't let me take lessons because they paid for lessons for my older brother & he wasn't interested.
My parents couldn't afford paying piano lessons fee. If they could, probably they'd give the chance to my brother first.

Hopefully I can buy myself a guitar in the coming summer holiday and teach myself playing by reading books. :wink: I always believe that I'm pretty good at learning music.

Cello for 13 years... and I'm 17

I'm still pants. [b(]

I have this image of a 4 year old disppearing behind the cello he's playing - even a miniatur one!

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
I have this image of a 4 year old disppearing behind the cello he's playing - even a miniatur one!

Yeah, all you can see is one hand holding a bow and one hand grasping the neck. Occasionally the cello spins around like a jazz player's standup bass and we can glimpse the 4 year old player.

Yeah, all you can see is one hand holding a bow and one hand grasping the neck. Occasionally the cello spins around like a jazz player's standup bass and we can glimpse the 4 year old player.

Sounds cool, I've always been interested in low stringed instruments (like string bass) for jazz and the walking bass parts.

I'd say play whatever you like. When I started playing guitar, all I was into was simple pop-rock like Nirvana and Green day, just kind of simple punk and metal influenced stuff. Playing all that didn't really help me as a musician, I didn't learn any theory from it and all I could really do was power chords (root, 5th, octave of the root) and simple little riffs, but it kept me interested in playing my instrument.

Playing punk influenced stuff kept my interest up, but eventually I began to crave stuff that was more challenging and interesting to play and listen to.

Some stuff that helped me make the jump from powerchords to playing solos and composing my own stuff was Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, etc. I actaully learned to play the blues from listening to and playing Black Sabbath

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/ [Broken]

That site has been immesurably useful to me in learning music theory and helping me compose my own guitar music. Of course, lessons help a lot too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put together a guitar instruction page that covers basic theory, finger picking, alternate/open tunings, solos & scales over chord progressions and various tablatures.

http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/melody/73/tab.html [Broken]

Originaly posted by wasteofo2
[/B] I'd say play whatever you like. When I started playing guitar, all I was into was simple pop-rock like Nirvana and Green day, just kind of simple punk and metal influenced stuff. Playing all that didn't really help me as a musician, I didn't learn any theory from it and all I could really do was power chords (root, 5th, octave of the root) and simple little riffs, but it kept me interested in playing my instrument.
That site has been immesurably useful to me in learning music theory and helping me compose my own guitar music
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/ [Broken]
Of course, lessons help a lot too.[/B]
Yah for now I'm just looking for simple, catchy songs that I will recognize to get started, like the ones you suggested. I've taken a lot of music theory before so for now I just want to fool around with some songs and get a feel for my guitar. I checked out that website it's going to be extremely helpfull -Thanks man for all your help
I've been thinking about lessons maybe later...
Originally posted by fish
I put together a guitar instruction page that covers basic theory, finger picking, alternate/open tunings, solos & scales over chord progressions and various tablatures.
Nice site fish, good links, I'm sure this will be very helpfull too Thanks

Man who knew there were so many intelligent and talented guys out there. Sweet :wink:

Originally posted by recon
I play the piano too and I adore Chopin's Nocturnes!

Does anyone here know how to play Fantaisie Impromptu? It's the FASTEST Chopin piano piece I've encountered!

Right now, I'm attempting Chopin's Ballade No. 1 in G minor. It's just so brilliantly played in 'The Pianist'.

I've seen the Fantaisie Impromptu once...I didn't even try (and that's not typical of me...I've attempted the Flight of the Bumblebee numerous times, inspite of the constant failure).

I really like that Ballade, but I prefer the way Jean-Yves Thibaudet played it, on the C.D. called The Chopin I Love. You should check that out sometime, if you can find it.

Cool site Fish!

I like the scales area and I plan to spend some time there checking them out. I usually use just some forms of the blues scales.

I once made a slide rule type moveable scale so I could find the forms in any key. I used it a lot when I was starting out, but I don't rely on it much anymore.

Really nice site.

Hey man, awesome site, I'd actually stumbled across that a few days ago looking for the Johnny B Goode tab.

<edit>Oh man, I'm loving those brent mason clips that you've transcribed. I've been wanting to learn some chickin' pickin' for a looooong time and this may very well be what puts me on that path, thanks a lot man!</edit>

Glad you folks found the site useful. :smile:

Cool site Fish!

I like the scales area and I plan to spend some time there checking them out. I usually use just some forms of the blues scales.

I once made a slide rule type moveable scale so I could find the forms in any key. I used it a lot when I was starting out, but I don't rely on it much anymore.

Really nice site.
I take a simplistic approach to that. What's nice about the guitar fretboard layout, is scales (and chords) just follow the same patterns over and over, so to change key, just move the whole pattern up or down one fret at a time. (not minding any open strings) Capos come in handy here too.

Originally posted by wasteofo2
Hey man, awesome site, I'd actually stumbled across that a few days ago looking for the Johnny B Goode tab.

<edit>Oh man, I'm loving those brent mason clips that you've transcribed. I've been wanting to learn some chickin' pickin' for a looooong time and this may very well be what puts me on that path, thanks a lot man!</edit>
It's a really fun style to play with all the double stops and harmony notes.

Mason's discography list is amazing. check this out:http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=R102557#APPEAR
He even does guitar fills on the "Friends" sitcom soundtrack.

I take a simplistic approach to that. What's nice about the guitar fretboard layout, is scales (and chords) just follow the same patterns over and over, so to change key, just move the whole pattern up or down one fret at a time. (not minding any open strings) Capos come in handy here too.

That is how my slide scale worked. It helped me to visualize the pattern at the different locations on the fretboard. I finally got to where I don't need it.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of musical instruments?</h2><p>Musical instruments are used to create and produce sounds and music. They are essential tools for musicians and composers to express themselves creatively and convey emotions through music.</p><h2>2. How many types of musical instruments are there?</h2><p>There are countless types of musical instruments, with new ones being invented all the time. However, they can be broadly categorized into four main groups: string, wind, percussion, and keyboard instruments.</p><h2>3. What is the difference between acoustic and electric instruments?</h2><p>Acoustic instruments produce sound through natural vibrations, while electric instruments use electronic amplification to produce sound. Acoustic instruments have been around for centuries, while electric instruments are a relatively recent invention.</p><h2>4. Can playing a musical instrument improve cognitive abilities?</h2><p>Yes, studies have shown that playing a musical instrument can improve cognitive abilities such as memory, problem-solving skills, and spatial reasoning. It also helps with hand-eye coordination and can have a positive impact on overall brain development.</p><h2>5. Is it necessary to have formal training to play a musical instrument?</h2><p>While formal training can be beneficial, it is not necessary to play a musical instrument. Many musicians are self-taught or have learned through online resources and practice. However, formal training can help improve technique and musical understanding.</p>

1. What is the purpose of musical instruments?

Musical instruments are used to create and produce sounds and music. They are essential tools for musicians and composers to express themselves creatively and convey emotions through music.

2. How many types of musical instruments are there?

There are countless types of musical instruments, with new ones being invented all the time. However, they can be broadly categorized into four main groups: string, wind, percussion, and keyboard instruments.

3. What is the difference between acoustic and electric instruments?

Acoustic instruments produce sound through natural vibrations, while electric instruments use electronic amplification to produce sound. Acoustic instruments have been around for centuries, while electric instruments are a relatively recent invention.

4. Can playing a musical instrument improve cognitive abilities?

Yes, studies have shown that playing a musical instrument can improve cognitive abilities such as memory, problem-solving skills, and spatial reasoning. It also helps with hand-eye coordination and can have a positive impact on overall brain development.

5. Is it necessary to have formal training to play a musical instrument?

While formal training can be beneficial, it is not necessary to play a musical instrument. Many musicians are self-taught or have learned through online resources and practice. However, formal training can help improve technique and musical understanding.