What is the Origin of the Mole Abbreviation in Chemistry?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter woosh9013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mole
In summary, this conversation does not provide much clarification as to where or when this abbreviation for mole originated.
woosh9013
In high school, I remember one of my chemistry teachers abbreviating mole by drawing a line over an m. I haven't seen anyone else do that. I've seen mol. many many times in books and from most other teachers/professors. Is the m with the line some older method for symbolizing mole? Does anyone know where she came up with that method of abbreviation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Never seen that, and I was young many moons ago.

The abbreviation, if you want to call it that, for mole is . . . 'mol'.

About as helpful as the abbreviation for dyne. ('dyn')

Whee! one less letter. :D

Are you sure your teacher wasn't talking about molar mass? That would be something like g/mol -- you know, as in the molar mass of water is about 18.0 g/mol.

And even then, for molar mass, [tex]\tilde{m}[/tex] is the symbol for the variable, not the unit itself. (That's supposed to be a bold m with a tilde over it, but I'm apparently having a bad Tex day.)

I've seen mol abbreviated at m before, but never m with a bar over it. You could be integrating something possibly?

There was no integrating going on. It was extremely basic high school chemistry, and none of us knew any calculus at the time.

I'm positive she wasn't talking about molar mass. She used the abbreviation throughout the entire year, probably hundreds of times. She even told us that we could use the m with the line or mol., but not the m alone since that generally signifies meters.

I thought somebody would have seen that notation before. That's really weird. I guess I should stop using it.

Then there is the unfortunate possibility that your teacher was the one with the wires crossed. It happens. Even Einstein accidentally wrote E = MC hammer before he got it right.

Well, no, but you get the point.

Joskoplas said:
Even Einstein accidentally wrote E = MC hammer before he got it right.

Oh so thats how he does it! And I thought it took a genius

No I have never seen this abbreviation either. I'm sure you won't cramp your hand writing down an extra stroke for mol.

1. What is the abbreviation for the mole?

The abbreviation for the mole is "mol".

2. Why is the mole abbreviated as "mol"?

The abbreviation "mol" comes from the word "mole", which is the unit of measurement for amount of substance in the International System of Units (SI).

3. How is the abbreviation "mol" used in scientific calculations?

The abbreviation "mol" is used to represent the numerical value of Avogadro's constant, which is approximately 6.022 x 10^23. This constant is used in equations to convert between the mass and number of particles in a substance.

4. Is there a difference between "mol" and "mole"?

No, "mol" and "mole" are just different ways of representing the same unit of measurement. The abbreviation "mol" is commonly used in scientific calculations and written work, while "mole" is the full word and may be used in spoken language or informal writing.

5. Are there any other abbreviations for the mole?

Yes, some other common abbreviations for the mole include "mol." (with a period) and "moles". However, "mol" is the most widely accepted and commonly used abbreviation for the mole.