Force necessary to support mass on Hydraulic Jack?

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary force to support a mass on a hydraulic jack, with one piston having a diameter of 1.31 cm and the other having a diameter of 7.91 cm. The equation F1*d1 = Fp*d2 is used to find the force required, with Fp representing the force exerted by the hand and F1 representing the force on the smaller piston. After some attempted solutions, the correct answer of 8858.92 N is found.
jumpingjack90
Force necessary to support mass on Hydraulic Jack?

Homework Statement

Piston 1 in the figure has a diameter of 1.31 cm. distance of 2 in
Piston 2 has a diameter of 7.91 cm. distance of 10 in
In the absence of friction, determine the force F, necessary to support an object with a mass of 904 kg placed on piston 2. (Neglect the height difference between the bottom of the two pistons, and assume that the pistons are massless).

Homework Equations

F1*d1 = Fp*d2, where d1 is the moment arm of F1, and d2 is
the moment arm of Fp.

The Attempt at a Solution

Fp = (F1*d1)/d2
(904)(9.81)/(pi)(0.003955)^2= F/(pi)(0.00655)^2
F=242.98 N which was incorrect.
anyone have an idea of what I should do and what equation to use? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

I think we'll need to see the figure before we can help you out.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7849/1808317ca439856447261f7.gif

this is the link for the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neglecting the height difference means the pressure should be the same, thus [tex]F_1 A_1 = F_2 A_2 [/tex]

This is would be the force exerted on the small piston.

You should know how to find the force needed by the hand from this.

jumpingjack90 said:

Homework Equations

F1*d1 = Fp*d2, where d1 is the moment arm of F1, and d2 is
the moment arm of Fp.

The Attempt at a Solution

Fp = (F1*d1)/d2
(904)(9.81)/(pi)(0.003955)^2= F/(pi)(0.00655)^2
F=242.98 N which was incorrect.
anyone have an idea of what I should do and what equation to use? Thanks!

You have correctly found F1, the force on the smaller piston. However, they are asking for Fp (labelled simply F in the figure), the force exerted by the hand.

You have the equation to find Fp given F1.

ok. I used the equation given and solved for Fp. I had (242.98)(pi*(0.03955)^2))/(pi)*(0.00655)^2=Fp=8858.92 N, which is also incorrect.
what am I doing wrong?

nvm. I solved it! thanks everyone for your input!

jumpingjack90 said:
nvm. I solved it! thanks everyone for your input!

how u solved it my friend?

1. How does the hydraulic jack work to support mass?

The hydraulic jack works on the principle of Pascal's law, which states that pressure applied to a fluid in a closed container will be transmitted equally in all directions. When force is applied to the small piston of the jack, it creates pressure in the fluid, which is then transmitted to the larger piston. This results in a larger force being generated at the larger piston, allowing it to lift heavy loads.

2. What is the relationship between the force applied and the mass being supported?

The force necessary to support a mass on a hydraulic jack is directly proportional to the mass being supported. This means that as the mass increases, the force required to support it also increases. It is important to ensure that the jack being used has a sufficient capacity to support the mass being lifted.

3. How is the force necessary to support a mass on a hydraulic jack calculated?

The force necessary to support a mass on a hydraulic jack can be calculated using the formula F = P x A, where F is the force in Newtons, P is the pressure in Pascals, and A is the area of the larger piston. This formula takes into account the principle of Pascal's law and allows for the determination of the force required to lift a specific mass.

4. Can the force necessary to support a mass on a hydraulic jack be increased?

Yes, the force necessary to support a mass on a hydraulic jack can be increased by increasing the pressure in the system. This can be achieved by either using a larger force to pump the fluid into the system or by increasing the size of the small piston. However, it is important to note that the force should not exceed the capacity of the jack, as this can lead to damage or failure of the equipment.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a hydraulic jack?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a hydraulic jack. It is important to ensure that the jack is placed on a stable and level surface, and that the load being lifted is evenly distributed on the jack. The jack should also be regularly inspected for any signs of wear or damage, and the load should never exceed the jack's capacity. Additionally, it is important to use appropriate personal protective equipment and to follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe operation.