Large scale field sonication

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for literature on the application of large scale sonication, specifically using ultrasound through the ground. They were unable to find any information and are requesting suggestions. Another person suggests looking into Infrasound and Seismo-acoustic sensing, and provides links to relevant articles. The original person expresses gratitude for the suggestions and finds them useful.
lupok2001
Dear all,

I am looking for literature describing the application of large scale sonication. Something like sending ultrasound through the ground. I know it has been done, but I was unable to find anything about it. Can anybody provide some suggestion?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lupok2001 said:
Dear all,

I am looking for literature describing the application of large scale sonication. Something like sending ultrasound through the ground. I know it has been done, but I was unable to find anything about it. Can anybody provide some suggestion?

Many thanks
Maybe your interested in Infrasound and Seismo-acoustic sensing?

http://www.geology.smu.edu/~seismic/infrasound/

http://www.anchar.ru/files/textedit/g048_.pdf

http://balticgas.au.dk/fileadmin/balticgas/2011_02_04_NAWIGATOR-Cruise_FINAL.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Astronuc,

Many thanks for the articles, I found some useful informations

1. What is large scale field sonication?

Large scale field sonication is a process that uses ultrasonic waves to break down particles in a liquid or solid sample. It is typically used in industrial or research settings to homogenize, mix, or extract materials.

2. How does large scale field sonication work?

Sonication involves the use of high frequency sound waves, usually in the range of 20 kHz to 100 kHz, to create cavitation bubbles in a liquid. These bubbles rapidly expand and collapse, creating intense pressure and high temperatures that can break down particles in the sample.

3. What are the benefits of using large scale field sonication?

Large scale field sonication can be used for a variety of purposes, including sample preparation, particle size reduction, and material extraction. It is a fast and efficient process, requiring minimal equipment and producing consistent results. It can also be used for non-destructive testing and cleaning of surfaces.

4. What types of samples can be processed using large scale field sonication?

Large scale field sonication can be used on a wide range of samples, including liquids, solids, and even biological materials such as cells or tissues. It is commonly used in the food, pharmaceutical, and chemical industries, as well as in research laboratories.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using large scale field sonication?

Yes, there are some safety considerations to keep in mind when using large scale field sonication. The intense pressure and heat generated during the process can be hazardous, so proper training and protective equipment should be used. It is also important to carefully select the appropriate sonication parameters for the sample being processed to avoid damage or contamination.