Is the Sum of Two Elements in a Convex Compact Subset of R^2 Also in the Subset?

In summary, we are discussing whether or not a specific value, c, is a member of a given set X. The set X is defined as a compact and convex subset of \mathbb{R^2}, and we are given that a^1 and a^2 are also members of X. We are asked to determine if c is a member of X based on the given information.
almostsure
Let $X$ be a compact and convex subset of $\mathbb{R^2}$

Let $a^1, a^2 \in X$ such that $a^j = (a^j_1, a^j_2)$, $j=1,2$

Is $c= \sum_{i=1}^2 \mathbb{I}_{ i=j} a^j_i \in X \quad ?$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The '$' won't work as a tag to encapsulate LaTex on this forum. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

I don't understand all the symbolism in your question, but using the tags
Code:
 [itex]...[/itex]
instead of $, it comes out as:

Let [itex]X[/itex] be a compact and convex subset of [itex]\mathbb{R^2}[/itex]

Let [itex]a^1, a^2 \in X[/itex] such that [itex]a^j = (a^j_1, a^j_2)[/itex],[itex]j=1,2[/itex]

Is [itex]c= \sum_{i=1}^2 \mathbb{I}_{ i=j} a^j_i \in X \quad ?[/itex]

1. What is a convex compact subset of R^2?

A convex compact subset of R^2 is a non-empty subset of the Euclidean plane that is both convex and compact. In other words, it is a set of points that are all contained within a closed, bounded region and any line segment connecting two points in the set will also be contained within the set.

2. How is convexity defined in a subset of R^2?

Convexity in a subset of R^2 means that for any two points in the set, the line segment connecting them is also contained within the set. In other words, the set does not have any indentations or "dips" that would cause a line segment to leave the set.

3. What does it mean for a subset of R^2 to be compact?

A compact subset of R^2 means that the set is both closed and bounded. This means that the set contains all of its boundary points and that it is not infinitely large in any direction.

4. How does a convex compact subset of R^2 differ from a convex subset of R^2?

A convex compact subset of R^2 is a subset of the Euclidean plane that is both convex and compact, while a convex subset of R^2 is only required to be convex. This means that a convex compact subset of R^2 is also closed and bounded, while a convex subset of R^2 may not necessarily be.

5. What are some real-world applications of convex compact subsets of R^2?

Convex compact subsets of R^2 have many applications in fields such as optimization, geometry, and economics. For example, in optimization, they are used to find the best solution to a problem within a given set of constraints. In geometry, they are used to model the shape of objects and surfaces. In economics, they are used to represent budget constraints and production possibilities.