Final Exam Review: Motion of an Airplane

In summary: As long as you stay in 2 dimensions, the position and the angle are interchangeable.In summary, the question discusses the motion of an airplane leaving from Miami using a Cartesian coordinate system. The position vector of the airplane is described as a function of time with constants a, B, and y. The units of these constants are found to be m/s, m/s, and m/s^3, respectively. The time when the motion is due NE is found to be t = [(a - B)/3y]^1/2, and the plane's position at this time is given by theta = tan^-1([Bt - yt^3]/at). The conversation ends with a request for confirmation on the understanding of the
Metamorphose
This is a question from an old test that I took this semester. My grader did not input anything, so I am left to trying to figure out by myself if my answers are correct or not.

Question:

The motion of an airplane leaving from miami can be described using a cartesian coordinate system with due East coincendet with the positive x-direction and due Noth with the positrive y-direction. The position vector r of the airplane as a function of time from take-off can then be written as:

vector r = at(i) + (Bt - yt^3)(j)

[a.] What are the units of the three constants?

This one was relatively simple. I found that the units were: a = m/s. B = m/s. and y = m/s^3.

[b.] Find the time(s) when the motion of the airplane is due NE.

By motion I am guessing they mean velocity,

So Vx = a and Vy = B - 3yt^2.

Because it is exactly NE, these two components should be equal to one another, giving Vx = Vy

∴ a = B - 3yt^2,

t = [(a - B)/3y]^1/2.

The negative answer for t can be discarded.

[c.] Find the plane's position when the motion is due NE.

Position means the angle.

So theta = tan^-1(ry/rx)

Which is tan^-1([Bt - yt^3]/at)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help me confirm whether I am wrong or right as my final is on Monday and I need to do extremely well in order to pass this course

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Metamorphose said:
[c.] Find the plane's position when the motion is due NE.
Position means the angle.

I would have thought position meant position in 2 dimensions, probably in Cartesian co-ordinates.

1. What is the motion of an airplane?

The motion of an airplane refers to the movement of the aircraft through the air. This includes changes in speed, direction, and altitude.

2. What factors affect the motion of an airplane?

The motion of an airplane is affected by various factors, such as air resistance, gravity, weight of the airplane, thrust from the engines, and lift generated by the wings.

3. How is the motion of an airplane measured?

The motion of an airplane can be measured using instruments such as altimeters, airspeed indicators, and attitude indicators. These instruments provide information about the altitude, speed, and orientation of the airplane.

4. How does an airplane take off and land?

An airplane takes off by using its engines to generate thrust, which allows it to gain speed and lift off the ground. To land, the airplane reduces its speed and angle of descent, using flaps and air brakes to control its motion before touching down on the runway.

5. What are the different types of motion an airplane can have?

An airplane can have three types of motion: translational motion, rotational motion, and vibrational motion. Translational motion refers to the movement of the airplane as a whole, while rotational motion refers to the movement of the airplane around its axis. Vibrational motion is caused by turbulence or other external forces affecting the airplane's motion.