Given 2 Integrals, How to solve other Integrals?

• Thread starter jeckel7234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, to find the values of the integrals ∫(5-5) f(x)dx, ∫(5-4) f(x)dx, and ∫(2-4) f(x)dx, you can use the given values of ∫(2-5) f(x)dx = 5 and ∫(4-5) f(x)dx = ∏. To find ∫(5-5) f(x)dx, the answer is 0. To find ∫(5-4) f(x)dx, the answer is -∏. And to find ∫(2-4) f(x)dx,
jeckel7234
given
∫(2-5) f(x)dx=5 and ∫(4-5) f(x)dx=∏ , find

a)
∫(5-5) f(x)dx =

b)
∫(5-4) f(x)dx =

c)
∫(2-4 f(x)dx =

Im going over old tests of mine to get ready for my final, and I can't find anywhere in my notes how I solved this, I originally got (a. 0 b. ∏ c. 5-∏). Can someone just explain the process of how to solve this. I understand b) by changing the sign and swapping the limits equals one of the given integrals, I just can't understand how I got A and C?

Thanks and Hi everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
jeckel7234 said:
given
∫(2-5) f(x)dx=5 and ∫(4-5) f(x)dx=∏ , finda)
∫(5-5) f(x)dx =

b)
∫(5-4) f(x)dx =

c)
∫(2-4 f(x)dx =Im going over old tests of mine to get ready for my final, and I can't find anywhere in my notes how I solved this, I originally got (a. 0 b. ∏ c. 5-∏). Can someone just explain the process of how to solve this. I understand b) by changing the sign and swapping the limits equals one of the given integrals, I just can't understand how I got A and C?

Thanks and Hi everyone

Well, I think (a) should be rather obvious... Take another look. =P

As for (c), it is just a linear combination of the first two integrals you were given. See if you can figure out in what way you can add/subtract the integrals to get (c).

Also, are there given limits of integration? You haven't listed them here, and without them it's not obvious that you need to swap them to get the result for (b) - without the limits of integration the answer could just as well be ##-\pi##.

Mute said:
Well, I think (a) should be rather obvious... Take another look. =P

As for (c), it is just a linear combination of the first two integrals you were given. See if you can figure out in what way you can add/subtract the integrals to get (c).

Also, are there given limits of integration? You haven't listed them here, and without them it's not obvious that you need to swap them to get the result for (b) - without the limits of integration the answer could just as well be ##-\pi##.

lol yep a was that easy, its kinda of sad I needed someone to say look again and don't be in idiot about it. Thanks for that

b) That was a typo on my behalf, I had -∏ down

c) ∫(2-5) - ∫(4-5)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is a fundamental concept in calculus.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You also need to have a good understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. What are the steps to solve an integral?

The steps to solve an integral depend on the type of integral and the integration technique used. Generally, the steps involve simplifying the integrand, applying the chosen integration technique, and evaluating the resulting expression.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, there are certain calculators and software programs that can help you solve integrals. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the concept and techniques involved in solving integrals.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals?

Some tips for solving integrals include: recognizing patterns in the integrand, choosing the appropriate integration technique, and checking your answer by differentiating it. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of integrals to improve your skills.