Every feild has a subset isomorphic to rational numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement made in the book "Linear Algebra" by Georgi Shilov that every field has a subset isomorphic to rational numbers. There is some disagreement about the statement, with one person saying it only applies to fields of characteristic zero and another providing a possible proof for this statement.
Tyler314
I am reading linear algebra by Georgi Shilov. It is my first encounter with linear algebra. After defining what a field is and what isomorphism means he says that it follows that every field has a subset isomorphic to rational numbers. I don't see the connection.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyler314 said:
I am reading linear algebra by Georgi Shilov. It is my first encounter with linear algebra. After defining what a field is and what isomorphism means he says that it follows that every field has a subset isomorphic to rational numbers. I don't see the connection.

Either you're misinterpreting the statement or it's very wrong. I can't see how a field with a finite number of elements could be isomorphic to Q. Could directly quote the section?

That is a good book. As a recall that statement does not apply to the most general field, there is some qualification. With a qualification (perhaps the field must be of characteristic 0 so that Ʃ1=0 only when the sum is empty) it is obviously true a/b is just a 1's divided by b 1's.

What is true is that every field has a subfield which is isomorphic to either ##Q## or to the field ##Z_p## (integers modulo ##p##) for some prime ##p##.

I've got a copy of Shilov in front of me, and on page 2 while defining a field (or number field, as he calls it) he writes

"The numbers 1, 1+1=2, 2+1=3, etc. are said to be natural; it is assumed that none of these numbers is zero."

That is, he is only working with fields of characteristic zero. In this case, it is immediate that every such field contains a subfield isomorphic to the field of rational numbers, i.e. the rationals can be isomorphically embedded in any field of characteristic zero.

I wouldn't say that it's "immediate", but it's fairly easy to prove. Denote the field by ##\mathbb F##. For each positive integer n, define n1=1+...+1, where 1 is the multiplicative identity of ##\mathbb F##, and there are n copies of 1 on the right. Also define (-n)1=(-1)+...+(-1), and 01=0, where the 0 on the left is the additive identity in the field of integers, and the 0 on the right is the additive identity of ##\mathbb F##.

Now you can define a function ##f:\mathbb Q\to\mathbb F## by
$$f\left(\frac p q\right)=(p1)(q1)^{-1}.$$ This only makes sense if we can prove that the right-hand side depends only on the quotient p/q, so you would have to do that. Then you would of course also have to prove that this f is a field isomorphism.

1. What does it mean for a field to have a subset isomorphic to rational numbers?

In mathematics, a field is a set of elements with operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division defined on it. A subset of a field is isomorphic to rational numbers if there exists a bijective function between the two sets that preserves the algebraic structure and operations.

2. Why is it important for a field to have a subset isomorphic to rational numbers?

Having a subset isomorphic to rational numbers allows us to apply the concepts and properties of rational numbers to the larger field. This can help simplify and generalize mathematical concepts, making them easier to understand and apply in various contexts.

3. Can every field have a subset isomorphic to rational numbers?

Yes, every field has a subset isomorphic to rational numbers. This is because rational numbers form a fundamental building block in mathematics, and any field can be constructed using rational numbers as a starting point.

4. Are there any other subsets that a field can be isomorphic to?

Yes, a field can also have subsets that are isomorphic to other number systems, such as integers, real numbers, or complex numbers. The choice of which subset to use depends on the context and the specific properties and operations being considered.

5. How is the isomorphism between a field and a subset of rational numbers established?

The isomorphism between a field and a subset of rational numbers is established by finding a bijective function between the two sets that preserves the algebraic operations. This function must be one-to-one and onto, meaning that each element in the field must map to a unique element in the subset, and vice versa.