Frequency Vibration: Exploring Its Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of frequency and its relationship with various phenomena such as vibration, cyclic behavior, and electromagnetic waves. It is explained that frequency can be used to describe anything that occurs at a regular interval and that it applies to both vibratory and non-vibratory phenomena. The example of a birthday occurring once a year is given to illustrate this. The concept of cyclic behavior and regular intervals is further discussed, using the example of kilometre markers on a motorway and their relation to speed. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of imagining what vibrates in the case of electromagnetic waves and quantum phenomena, and suggests thinking of it in terms of linked electric and magnetic fields that vary in intensity at regular intervals. In summary
Googl
When presented with different phenomenons it can be hard to imagine the relationship between each other. Although I am able to work out different problems involving it and sometimes provide good arguments around it I haven't yet gained enough confidence on how to imagine frequency.

Is frequency vibration? Considering it in many different applications such as radio/electromagnetic frequency, de Broglie's wavelength, wave particle duality etc.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frequency can be used to describe anything that happens at a regular interval.

Is frequency vibration

Yes and no. As Russ said frequency applies to a wider range of phenomena that are not vibratory, but it also applies to vibratory phenomena.

So for example

If I hold one end of my ruler down on the desk and twang the other end the ruler executes vibration up and down at a regular frequency.

However I have a birthday ( I will say where to send presents) that has a frequency of once a year!

:rofl:

Phenomena that occur with a regular frequency are referred to as cyclic. The term is often associated with rotation. So a shaft can rotate at a frequency of 100 rpm, but most engineers would try to avoid any vibration.

Does this help?

Studiot said:
Yes and no. As Russ said frequency applies to a wider range of phenomena that are not vibratory, but it also applies to vibratory phenomena.

So for example

If I hold one end of my ruler down on the desk and twang the other end the ruler executes vibration up and down at a regular frequency.

However I have a birthday ( I will say where to send presents) that has a frequency of once a year!

:rofl:

Phenomena that occur with a regular frequency are referred to as cyclic. The term is often associated with rotation. So a shaft can rotate at a frequency of 100 rpm, but most engineers would try to avoid any vibration.

Does this help?

Yes it does. Thanks.

So what cyclic behaviour would electromagnetic frequency exhibit. I don't think it would be clever to imagine the photon moving up and down. And how would you imagine the frequency of a moving object such as a ball. Is it the small change of displacement along its path (vibration)? If that is the case then the ball may be vibrating in lots of different directions.

It has been helpful by using cyclic above, because it has given me a general view of frequency. But when you use the idea in connection with different phenomena it does tend to raise other ideas. In most phenomena they relate frequency with other variables such as mass, wavelength, momentum etc.

Is it the small change of displacement along its path

How is this cyclic or occurring at regular intervals?

The phenomenon has to occur several (many?) times and the interval (usually time) between each occurrence has to be the same, ie regular.

The kilometre markers on a motorway are spaced at regular spatial intervals (of 1 kilometre) or a spatial frequency of 1 kilometre.

If you drive at a constant speed you will pass them at a temporal frequency of 1/speed.

Studiot said:
How is this cyclic or occurring at regular intervals?

The phenomenon has to occur several (many?) times and the interval (usually time) between each occurrence has to be the same, ie regular.

The kilometre markers on a motorway are spaced at regular spatial intervals (of 1 kilometre) or a spatial frequency of 1 kilometre.

If you drive at a constant speed you will pass them at a temporal frequency of 1/speed.

YES! I understand now. That was a good example. I understand that well now (ie: frequency is per application being characterised in it is not entire restricted).

So in terms of electromagnetic waves and de Broglie's wavelength formula (Quantum phenomena). What characteristic cyclic change are they referring to when they use frequency.

The question of what is vibrating for electromagnetic waves such as X rays, light etc is difficult.
The simplest way to look at it is to say that there are linked electric and magnetic fields that vary in intensity a regular manner (like the kilometre posts) in both space and time.
So a frequency defining this regular variation can be defined by the interval between repetitions of the variation.

I try to think of a pattern that repeats every so many microseconds or nanoseconds.

That way you avoid the thorny question of vibration and therefore what vibrates.

The question of quantum vibration is even more abstract and requires the acceptance of some pretty abstract ideas.

Googl said:
So what cyclic behaviour would electromagnetic frequency exhibit.

When an electromagnetic wave passes a charged particle, the particle experiences an electric force that oscillates in a cyclic fashion: first upwards, then downwards, then upwards, etc. Loosely speaking, this is how radio-receiving antennas work: the oscillating electric fields in the radio (electromagnetic) waves cause electrons in the antenna to oscillate.

1. What is frequency vibration?

Frequency vibration refers to the rapid back and forth movement of an object or particle, usually measured in cycles per second or Hertz. It is a physical phenomenon that can be observed in many natural and man-made systems, such as sound waves, electromagnetic radiation, and mechanical devices.

2. How is frequency vibration used in science and technology?

Frequency vibration has a wide range of applications in science and technology. It is used in fields such as acoustics, optics, electronics, and engineering to study and manipulate different types of waves and particles. Some common uses include sound production and analysis, medical imaging, communication systems, and material testing.

3. What are some examples of frequency vibration in everyday life?

We encounter frequency vibration in our daily lives more often than we realize. Some examples include the sound waves produced by musical instruments, the light waves emitted by electronic devices, and the vibrations of a cell phone or car engine. We also use frequency vibration in household appliances like refrigerators, washing machines, and blenders.

4. How do scientists measure frequency vibration?

Scientists use different methods to measure frequency vibration depending on the type of wave or particle being studied. For sound waves, they use a device called a microphone to detect and convert vibrations into electrical signals, which can then be analyzed using specialized software. For electromagnetic radiation, instruments such as spectrometers or oscilloscopes are used to measure the frequency of light waves. Mechanical vibrations can be measured using accelerometers or seismometers.

5. What are the potential future applications of frequency vibration?

Frequency vibration continues to be an important area of research and development, with potential applications in various fields. In medicine, it is being explored for non-invasive methods of drug delivery and tissue regeneration. In engineering, it is being used to improve the efficiency of machines and structures. In the future, we may also see advancements in areas such as quantum computing and energy harvesting through the use of frequency vibration.