How to safely create static electricity from AC current

In summary, there are two main types of electrostatic generators: friction machines and influence machines. The most popular one for experiments is the Kelvin Water Dropper, which uses falling water to generate electricity. It is recommended to use Bill Beaty's website as a guide for building a Kelvin Water Dropper.
bluedog101
Is there a simple way to "make" static electricity from an AC outlet? Looking for a way to make my hair stand (what is left of it) on its end for an experiment. Thanks for your comments in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I guess I need a portable Van de Graaff generator - is that the only way?

bluedog101 said:
Is there a simple way to "make" static electricity from an AC outlet? Looking for a way to make my hair stand (what is left of it) on its end for an experiment. Thanks for your comments in advance.

bluedog101 said:
I guess I need a portable Van de Graaff generator - is that the only way?

Welcome to the PF.

Rub your hair with a balloon?

besides that

Electrostatic generators can be divided into two categories depending on how the charge is generated:

1. Friction machines use the triboelectric effect (electricity generated by contact or friction)

2. Influence machines use electrostatic induction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_generator

The favorite electrostatic generator at our Museum of Arts and Sciences is the “Kelvin Water Dropper”. All of our visitors love it. It does not need AC power; only falling water powers it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_water_dropper

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
BobbyWhy - thanks I have never heard of the KWD! -- Seems like it would be cool to build on a down spout where it rains a lot...

Windadct, If you intend to build a Kelvin Water Drop Electrostatic Generator, I highly recommend using Bill Beaty's website for you guide. See:

http://amasci.com/emotor/kelvin.html

1. How can I safely create static electricity from AC current?

To safely create static electricity from AC current, you will need to use a device called an electrostatic generator. This device converts the AC current into high voltage DC current, which can then be used to create static electricity. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when using an electrostatic generator to avoid any potential hazards.

2. What materials do I need to create static electricity from AC current?

Aside from an electrostatic generator, you will also need a conductive material, such as metal or aluminum foil, and an insulating material, such as plastic or rubber. These materials are necessary to generate and store static electricity.

3. Is it dangerous to create static electricity from AC current?

As with any electrical experiment, there is a potential for danger if proper safety precautions are not followed. It is important to always use an electrostatic generator as directed and to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling the materials. It is also recommended to perform this experiment in a well-ventilated area to avoid any potential buildup of ozone gas.

4. Can I create static electricity from AC current without an electrostatic generator?

It is not recommended to try and create static electricity from AC current without an electrostatic generator. The high voltage DC current produced by an electrostatic generator is necessary to generate static electricity safely and effectively. Attempting to create static electricity without the proper equipment can result in electric shocks or damage to the electrical circuit.

5. What are some practical uses for static electricity created from AC current?

Static electricity can be used in various industries, such as in printing and painting processes, as well as in air purification systems. It can also be used in experiments and demonstrations to showcase the properties of electricity. However, it is important to always handle static electricity with caution and to never use it for harmful purposes.