Calculating Work Required to Submerge Gas at Constant Temperature and Pressure

• Thread starter [imagine]
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving transporting a sample of air to a certain depth while keeping its temperature, volume, and pressure constant. The problem can be approached by considering forces, specifically the buoyant force and gravitational force, and the work required can be calculated by multiplying the net unbalanced force by the distance moved. The conversation also addresses the issue of the buoyant force varying with depth and discusses a proposed solution involving integration, resulting in a calculated work of approximately 49612 Joules.
[imagine]
Hi, I have a physics problem that I am not sure how I should be approaching:

Consider a sample consisting of 10.0L of air at absolute pressure 2.00 atm, with density 2.40 kg/m^3. Find the work required to transport it to a depth of 10.3m with its temperature, volume, and pressure remaining constant.

What should I be looking for in this question? My intuition tells me I should be looking for the change in energy as it changes depth. How should I be thinking about this question?

Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think in terms of forces. Work done is force x distance moved. How much force do you have to exert on the sample to move it to that depth. Also the problem suggests that you will have to do work against the pressure change. (pressure= force/area).

Since there is no area mentioned, I am assuming I won't have to deal with pressures.

So, if I calculate the net unbalanced force (Buoyant force - Gravitational = Force Needed to Submerge) and multiply it by the depth, I should get the work required. However, the buoyant force is different at every depth, so how will I overcome this problem?

Here is how I attempt to solve it:

B=buoyant force, r(w) = density of water, r(a) = density of air, V=volume of gas, h=depth

Fnet = B - Fg = r(w)gh - r(a)gV = 1000*9.81*h - 2.40*9.81*10 = 981h - 235.44

and.. since the forces vary with depth,

W = integral of (981h -235.44) from 0 to 10.3m,
which gives a resulting work of ~49612 Joules.

Is this correct?

What is the concept of "Work Required to Submerge"?

The "Work Required to Submerge" refers to the amount of energy or force needed to completely submerge an object or substance in a fluid, such as water. It is a measure of the resistance an object experiences when being pushed into a fluid.

How is the "Work Required to Submerge" calculated?

The "Work Required to Submerge" is calculated by multiplying the weight of the object by the distance it needs to be submerged. This is known as the buoyant force, which is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. The work required can also be calculated by integrating the force of the fluid over the distance of submergence.

What factors affect the "Work Required to Submerge"?

The "Work Required to Submerge" is affected by the density and volume of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid it is being submerged in. The depth and shape of the object also play a role in determining the amount of work required.

Is the "Work Required to Submerge" the same for all objects?

No, the "Work Required to Submerge" will vary depending on the properties of the object and the fluid it is being submerged in. Objects with greater surface area or lower density will require more work to submerge, while objects with smaller surface area or higher density will require less work.

How is the "Work Required to Submerge" related to Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This means that the "Work Required to Submerge" is directly related to the buoyant force, and therefore, to Archimedes' Principle. The more weight the object displaces, the more work is required to submerge it.