Phase Change: What is actually going on?

In summary, water changes phase from liquid to gas by gaining energy which then manifests itself as an expansion of the liquid. Temperature during a phase change is not affected by the addition of energy.
brianparks
When water changes phase from liquid to gas, what is actually happening at a molecular level?

I have heard the general explanation that enough kinetic energy is imparted to the surface water molecules to allow them to "breaK" free from the dipole forces that hold them in the liquid. Sort of like they reach an escape velocity, maybe?

What I don't understand, however, is why phase changes occur at a constant temperature. If I add energy to the water, and some of its surface molecules start to break free and form gas, I would think that those molecules would have more kinetic energy (temperature) than they did before (thats what allowed them to break free, right?).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat is basically asynchonous vibration of molecules. If the magnitude of vibration is sufficient to break the weak bonding between molecules in the liquid state, the "VanDeWaals" bonding, then the material will assume the gaseous state.
At a critical temperature, which is nonuniform throughout the liquid, certain groups of molecules will have sufficient energy to break free of these weak bonding forces and become gaseous. These molecules have just as much kinetic energy as before, but nothing to bind them to adjoining molecules, as their high relative velocity does not allow sufficient time for new VanDeWaals bonds to form. Eventually, the temperature across the entire macro volume evens out, and all molecules assume the gaseous state.
Think of temperature as more of a local phenomena than a bulk measure.
R. Indech

Thanks for the reply, Rindech.

Prior to boiling, the surface water molecules do not have enough kinetic energy to overcome the vanderwaals forces in the liquid (as well as the external pressure on the liquid). Boiling starts to occur when the surface water molecules gain enough kinetic energy to overcome such forces. For this reason, I can't help but think that the kinetic energy, and thus the temperature, of the surface water molecules would have to be greater during boiling than immediately prior to.

Maybe my understanding of temperature during a phase change is incorrect. I add energy to a liquid at constant pressure. Its temperature increases. Eventually, it reaches the boiling temperature for that pressure and begins to change phase. My understanding is that during the actual phase change, despite the addition of energy, the temperature of the fluid does not increase as it did prior to boiling. Rather, the temperature stays constant and the energy addition manifests itself in the form of expansion of the fluid, which does work on the outside. Is this correct?

I might be able to understand how the average kinetic energy of the whole fluid stays constant, but wouldn't the kinetic energy of the specific water molecules that boil off have to increase during the phase change? Otherwise, what allows them to boil off when they weren't boiling off earlier?

Thanks again for your help.

1. What is phase change?

Phase change is the physical process in which matter transitions from one state to another, such as from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas. This process is caused by changes in temperature, pressure, or both.

2. What are the different phases of matter?

The three main phases of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. A solid has a fixed shape and volume, while a liquid has a fixed volume but takes the shape of its container. A gas has neither a fixed shape nor volume and can expand to fill its container.

3. What causes phase change?

Phase change is caused by the addition or removal of energy in the form of heat. When heat is added, the particles in a substance gain energy and move faster, causing a phase change. When heat is removed, the particles lose energy and slow down, resulting in a phase change.

4. How does phase change affect substances?

Phase change can significantly alter the properties of a substance. For example, when water changes from a liquid to a gas (vaporization), it becomes less dense and expands. This is why steam can be used to power engines and turbines. Phase change can also affect the appearance, texture, and other physical properties of substances.

5. Can phase change be reversed?

Yes, phase change can be reversed through a process called phase transition. When the conditions that caused the initial phase change are reversed, the substance will return to its original state. For example, when water vapor cools and loses energy, it will condense back into liquid form. However, certain substances may undergo irreversible phase changes, such as the transformation of liquid water into ice crystals during freezing.