First PCB Design: Critique Before Sending to Print

In summary, PCB made using CIRCAD '98 had errors. C5 was not on schematic and there was one on the board. R8 was hooked to Q2 but not on the board. There was no power supply bypass capacitor ANYWHERE on the schematic or the board. More important than obeying 'guidelines' when it comes to PCB layout, Eagle by cadsoft was recommended as a powerful free PCB layout program.
Zlex
Alright, so I made my first PCB using CIRCAD '98. I went through it a couple times, found a couple overlapping traces, but I always miss something.

I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind taking a look at it before I send it off to be printed.

PCB:
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5700/pcb5tr.jpg

CCT:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4251/amp1te.jpg

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never used CIRCAD, but any PCB layout program worth its salt will do automatic Design Rules Checking, which will find problems like overlapping traces. Does CIRCAD?

- Warren

Doesn't look like it. I went through the menu and help. Considering the last update for this program was moving from DOS to Windows I don't think it has many functions at all.

It certainly wasn't my choice to use this program, from talking to other Engineers I've heard Eagle come up a few times. However, profs insisted that the PCB layout be constructed using this dinosaur program. Probably for the very reason that it doesn't have automatic error chcecking and other such functionalities.

not trying to insult you but the layout is very sloppy. the fat trace comming off the collector of q1 to close to that border trace (that serves no purpose) and might not etch right, q2 is shorted. and their are design rules about when to use angles and one trace is leading off to nowhere. i'd find a book on pcb design and buy a tape mask kit and etch a few boards for practice.

i can't find any good tutorials just this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCB_layout_guidelines

btw that board should be 1/3 of the size it is.

mugsby,

Thanks, I just fixed those problems

And no offense taken, actually that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm really not too concerned with design etiquette, I'm sure I've followed none of it, I simply need it to work. Although, I think I will take you up on your advice, I would like to be able to create a professional looking PCB. I know this first one certainly won't be the last.

Aha; at least the size isn't my fault, profs set the board size!

i'd just like to add some more points, when you design a pcb you have to be aware of how thick the board should be to support the weight of the components and if it will be double sided or multilayered, have a ground plane and thru hole plating. the different types of celuliod and fiberglass types. the ounces of copper per side as it dictates the width needed for high current and minimum space for proper etching. the space between traces as it relates to arcing for high voltage and crosstalk. the length of traces as it relates to things like propagation delay for digital and inductance with rf designs.

also ic's should be all facing in the same direction, same with signal transistor , all small signal parts. the exception would be things that dissapate heat or need heatsinks.

lots of things to consider.

The most popular packages in industry are Protel, Pads, and OrCAD Layout.

The http://www.geda.seul.org/ project has a free PCB layout tool, but I haven't used it.

- Warren

Shoot. I use to lay them out 2 to 1 on mylar using Bishop Graphics products. Only double sided however.

There is no C5 on the schematic and there is one on the board. Q2 and Q3 do not agree between the board and the schematic; on the schematic R8 is hooked to Q2 but on the board it is not. There is no power supply bypass capacitor ANYWHERE on the schematic or the board. More important than obeying 'guidelines' when it comes to PCB layout. The opamp should have bypass capacitor right close to it on the board.

If you are looking for a powerful free PCB layout program, I recommend Eagle by cadsoft. It is very powerful and not that hard to learn. The first PCB I ever made with it turned out really nice and I was impressed with the results. It also has many design rules that you can implement and doing things like a copper pour is very easy. As an example I'll attach the PCB I made. I had no experience with PCB's prior to this, and during a 2 weeks period of learning I came up with this. My technique was to route some of the more important traces and some power traces manually and then use the autorouter for the rest. After the traces were routed, I would turn and move components to prevent "spaghetti" traces and make the runs as short as possible. I also tried to make as neat as I could within my constaints, but personally functionally is more impostant than looks. It may not be up to the standards of some of the engineers on here, but I think half the battle is in the software you choose.

http://webrocket.ca/pcb_final.jpg

triden said:
If you are looking for a powerful free PCB layout program, I recommend Eagle by cadsoft. It is very powerful and not that hard to learn. The first PCB I ever made with it turned out really nice and I was impressed with the results. It also has many design rules that you can implement and doing things like a copper pour is very easy. As an example I'll attach the PCB I made. I had no experience with PCB's prior to this, and during a 2 weeks period of learning I came up with this. My technique was to route some of the more important traces and some power traces manually and then use the autorouter for the rest. After the traces were routed, I would turn and move components to prevent "spaghetti" traces and make the runs as short as possible. I also tried to make as neat as I could within my constaints, but personally functionally is more impostant than looks. It may not be up to the standards of some of the engineers on here, but I think half the battle is in the software you choose.

http://webrocket.ca/pcb_final.jpg

Indeed, I would have much preferred to have used Eagle; I have been messing around with it recently--building my own amplifier for fun, it's going to be huge. Unfortunatly, this was for a class and I had very little freedom.

Anyway, thanks for you help everyone, the PCB worked out fine.

1. What is the purpose of a PCB design?

The purpose of a PCB design is to create a physical layout of electronic components and their connections in order to allow for the proper functioning of a circuit. This design acts as a blueprint for the actual production of the circuit board.

2. How do I know if my PCB design is ready to be sent for printing?

Before sending your PCB design for printing, it's important to thoroughly check for any errors or issues. This can include checking for correct component placement, proper connections, and ensuring that all necessary design rules are met. It's also recommended to have your design reviewed by an experienced engineer.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing a PCB?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing a PCB include not considering the size and spacing of components, not following design rules and restrictions, and not properly labeling or documenting the design. It's important to carefully plan and review your design to avoid these and other potential mistakes.

4. How can I optimize my PCB design for efficiency?

To optimize your PCB design for efficiency, you can consider factors such as component placement, trace length, and power delivery. It's important to carefully consider the requirements of your circuit and make design choices that will result in the most efficient and effective operation.

5. What should I do if I encounter problems with my PCB design after printing?

If you encounter problems with your PCB design after printing, it's important to carefully troubleshoot and identify the source of the issue. This may involve checking for errors in the design, faulty components, or other issues. It may also be helpful to consult with an experienced engineer or PCB manufacturer for assistance.