Connect Multiple Devices with One Switch: An Electronics Question

In summary: Id=28187&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=5090&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&top_category=%28select_cat%29
Jelfish
I'm not very experienced with electronics so this might be a simple question:

I have a tool that outputs signal information through a serial cable. I have two devices that connect with it, so I physically pull the plug and switch connections when needed. However, I would like to create a box with all three things connected and switch between the destinations with one switch. However, since there are several pins in use, I'm not sure how to do this without actually using a switch for each pin. Is there an easy way to do this? I would prefer to not have to power this switch also.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The answer depends on a number of things. Can you post more info (datasheets?) about the signal source and the two devices that monitor the signal?

Like, if the source and destinations are all 50 Ohms, then you can use a 50 Ohms splitter with a known loss to split the signals, and then just adjust your gain at the two receiving ends to account for the constant loss.

Is the data flow all one way, with no return information? Is the signal digital or analog? What is the bandwidth?

You have lots of options, we just need more info in order to be of help.

Thanks berkeman.

It turns out that I don't need this anymore. However, what I was looking for was something like a rotary switch, specifically a 6-pole 2-position.

Thanks anyway :)

Jelfish said:
Thanks berkeman.

It turns out that I don't need this anymore. However, what I was looking for was something like a rotary switch, specifically a 6-pole 2-position.

Thanks anyway :)
You can get a box all made up with connectors and and appropriate switching for almosts any I/O port for a few dollars.

NoTime said:
You can get a box all made up with connectors and and appropriate switching for almosts any I/O port for a few dollars.
Really? Are you referring to a particular store or somewhere online? This may be useful in the future. Perhaps I should ask the local electronics shop.

1. How many devices can be connected with one switch?

The number of devices that can be connected to one switch depends on the type and specifications of the switch. Some switches can handle up to 24 devices, while others can handle more than 100 devices.

2. Can any type of device be connected to one switch?

Yes, as long as the device has the appropriate connections and is compatible with the switch, it can be connected. This includes computers, printers, routers, and other electronics.

3. How do I connect multiple devices to one switch?

The specific steps for connecting multiple devices to one switch may vary depending on the type of switch and devices, but generally, you will need to connect each device to the switch using Ethernet cables. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper installation.

4. Can I connect devices wirelessly to one switch?

Some switches may have the capability to connect devices wirelessly, but most switches require a physical connection via Ethernet cables. However, you can use a wireless router in conjunction with a switch to connect devices wirelessly.

5. What are the advantages of connecting multiple devices with one switch?

The main advantage of connecting multiple devices to one switch is convenience and organization. It allows for easier management of all connected devices and eliminates the need for multiple switches. It also helps to reduce clutter and improve the overall efficiency of the network.