Infinite Dimensional Infinitesimal

In summary: Therefore by the above process, it can be concluded that an infinite dimensional universe is a single point. In summary, any smooth connected 1 dimensional manifold is diffeomorphic either to the circle, or to some interval of real numbers. By taking a line segment of length 1 and rotating it into higher dimensions, each leg can be divided into smaller and smaller intervals as the number of dimensions increases. This process can be continued infinitely, leading to the conclusion that an infinite dimensional universe is a single point.
Russell E. Rierson
Any smooth connected 1 dimensional manifold is diffeomorphic either to the circle, or to some interval of real numbers.

Take a line segment of length 1. It is one dimensional.

A-------B

Find the midpoint of the line segment and rotate it into 2 dimensions

A
|
|
|------B

Each leg is 1/2

Rotate into 3 dimensions, and each leg is 1/3

A
|
|
|------C
|
|
B

rotate into N dimensions and each leg is 1/N

Continue this process as a limit

N---->oo

By the above process, an infinite dimensional universe is a point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Russell E. Rierson
Any smooth connected 1 dimensional manifold is diffeomorphic either to the circle, or to some interval of real numbers.

Take a line segment of length 1. It is one dimensional.

A-------B

Find the midpoint of the line segment and rotate it into 2 dimensions

A
|
|
|------B

Each leg is 1/2

Rotate into 3 dimensions, and each leg is 1/3

A
|
|
|------C
|
|
B

rotate into N dimensions and each leg is 1/N

Continue this process as a limit

N---->oo

By the above process, an infinite dimensional universe is a point.

A
I
I
I
D------I------B
I
I
I
I
C

So this is four-dimenisional?..how do you account for the fact there is only 26 letters in the alphabet?

The problem is that a Four dimensional space has inner products made from A+B..A Rotation does not constitute a added Dimension?

What is an "Infinite Dimensional Infinitesimal"?

An infinite dimensional infinitesimal is a mathematical concept that describes a quantity that is infinitely small, yet still has infinitely many components. It is often used in fields such as calculus and functional analysis to describe the behavior of functions and equations in infinite-dimensional spaces.

How is an "Infinite Dimensional Infinitesimal" different from a regular infinitesimal?

An infinitesimal refers to a quantity that is extremely small, but still greater than zero. An infinite dimensional infinitesimal, on the other hand, refers to a quantity that is infinitely small, and has infinitely many components. In other words, while a regular infinitesimal can be thought of as approaching zero, an infinite dimensional infinitesimal is already at zero.

What is the significance of "Infinite Dimensional Infinitesimal" in mathematics?

Infinite dimensional infinitesimals are essential in many areas of mathematics, particularly in the study of infinite-dimensional spaces and functions. They allow for a more precise and rigorous understanding of these concepts, and are crucial in proofs and calculations involving these objects.

Can "Infinite Dimensional Infinitesimal" be visualized or represented graphically?

No, it is not possible to visualize or graphically represent an infinite dimensional infinitesimal, as it involves infinitely many components that are infinitely small. This makes it a purely abstract concept in mathematics.

Are there real-life applications of "Infinite Dimensional Infinitesimal"?

While infinite dimensional infinitesimals are primarily used in theoretical mathematics, they do have applications in fields such as physics and engineering. For example, they are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in an infinite-dimensional Hilbert space.