Matrix Transformation ugly problem

In summary, the projection of X onto the plane U is the matrix having the vectors <1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, and <0, 0, 1> as its columns.
kingwinner
1) Let U be a plane through the origin in R^3 with a nonzero normal vector n=[a b c]^T. Find the projection matrix of X=[x1 x2 x3]^T onto U.

I got this question from my linear algebra test today and I am dying on it.

I tried something out but ended up with a terribly ugly result in which I have no confidence of it being right.

My method:
Since (projection of X onto n) gives the perpendicular (closeest) distance from X to the plane U, I have the following inequality: (in orthongonal complement of U)
(projection of X onto n) = X - (projection of X onto U) (<-is this right?)
and then solve for (projection of X onto U) for which I can obtain the induced matrix by factoring the matrix [x1 x2 x3]^T out
and this ends up with some ugly calculations (this question only worth 5 marks, how can I take that long?)

Is there a flaw in this thinking? Is it right?

I seriously think I have missed something...Is there a very easy method to do this question? Can someone teach me? I can't sleep without it.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anyone good in linear algebra who can help me? thanks

Last edited:
kingwinner said:
1) Let U be a plane through the origin in R^3 with a nonzero normal vector n=[a b c]^T. Find the projection matrix of X=[x1 x2 x3]^T onto U.

I got this question from my linear algebra test today and I am dying on it.

I tried something out but ended up with a terribly ugly result in which I have no confidence of it being right.

My method:
Since (projection of X onto n) gives the perpendicular (closeest) distance from X to the plane U, I have the following inequality: (in orthongonal complement of U)
(projection of X onto n) = X - (projection of X onto U) (<-is this right?)
and then solve for (projection of X onto U) for which I can obtain the induced matrix by factoring the matrix [x1 x2 x3]^T out
and this ends up with some ugly calculations (this question only worth 5 marks, how can I take that long?)

Is there a flaw in this thinking? Is it right?

I seriously think I have missed something...Is there a very easy method to do this question? Can someone teach me? I can't sleep without it.

Thanks a lot!

With the normal vector given as just the general <a, b, c>, I don't see any really quick way to do it. It's easy to see that a unit vector normal to the plane is <a/L, b/L, c/L> where L is the length of <a, b, c>: [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2+ c^2}[/itex]. The projection of the basis vector <1, 0, 0> onto that line is [itex]<a^2/L^2, b/L^2, c/L^2>[/itex] and so its projection onto the plane is [itex]<(b^2+ c^2)/L^2, -b/L^2, -c/L^2>. Similarly, the projection of <0, 1, 0> onto the plane is [itex]<-a/L^2, (a^2+ c^2)/L^2,-c/L^2) and the projection of <0, 0, 1> onto the plane is [itex]<-a/L^2, -b/L^2, (a^2+ b^2)/L^2>. The matrix representation of the projection is the matrix having those vectors as columns.

1. How can I solve a matrix transformation problem?

To solve a matrix transformation problem, you can follow these steps:

1. Identify the given matrix and its dimensions.

2. Determine the type of transformation needed (e.g. translation, rotation, scaling).

3. Multiply the given matrix by the appropriate transformation matrix.

4. Perform any necessary operations (e.g. addition, subtraction) on the resulting matrix.

5. Check your answer by applying the transformation to a point or shape on a graph.

2. What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a special type of matrix used to describe a transformation (such as translation, rotation, or scaling) in a coordinate plane.

It contains values that determine the amount and direction of the transformation for each dimension (x and y).

3. Why do matrix transformations sometimes result in ugly problems?

Matrix transformations can result in ugly problems because they involve complex mathematical calculations and can be difficult to visualize. Additionally, small errors in calculations or understanding of the transformation can lead to incorrect results.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve matrix transformation problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve matrix transformation problems. Many scientific and graphing calculators have built-in functions for performing matrix operations.

However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving a matrix transformation problem, as using a calculator may not always be an option.

5. Are there any tips for making matrix transformation problems easier to solve?

Here are a few tips for making matrix transformation problems easier to solve:

1. Familiarize yourself with the different types of transformations and their corresponding transformation matrices.

2. Practice solving simple matrix transformation problems before tackling more complex ones.

3. Use graph paper or a graphing calculator to visualize the transformation and check your answer.

4. Double check your calculations and make sure you understand the problem before attempting to solve it.