Integral(F(x) Homework: Solving for Constants L, p, q, r

• Thread starter Hypercase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, L,p,q,r are constants. The function F(x) can be expressed as p + qx + rx^2. When x = L, F(x) equals 0. Additionally, when x = 0, F(x) can be represented as (1.5/L) * Integral(F(x), from 0 to L). After several attempts, it has been determined that p = -qL - rL^2 and p = -1.5qL - rL^2. Further steps to proceed are uncertain.
Hypercase
L,p,q,r are constants

F(x) = p + qx + rx^2
F(L) = 0
F(0) = (1.5/L) * Integral(F(x), from 0 to L)

show, F(x) = F(0) *(1-(x/L)^2)

I, have made several attempts, and I am not sure what to do.
I have determined
p = -qL - rL^2
and
p = -1.5qL - rL^2

how do i proceed?
-cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Well firstly I would evaluate F(0) [i.e. compute the integral]. Then see if you can show that the statement holds.

evaluate F(0) [i.e. compute the integral]

I have done that, and ended up with

p = -1.5qL - rL^2,
that hasnt help and i don't know how to proceed.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value or quantity of a function over a certain range or interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You will also need to know the limits of integration and any given constants or coefficients in the function.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as the result. An indefinite integral does not have any limits and gives a general formula as the result.

4. Can integrals be used in real-life applications?

Yes, integrals have many real-life applications, such as finding the area under a curve to calculate the distance traveled by an object, determining the amount of fluid in a container, or finding the average value of a function over a given time period.

5. How important is it to understand integrals in science?

Integrals are crucial in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to solve problems and model real-world situations, making them a fundamental concept in scientific research and analysis.