Vacuum required to generate specific amount of force

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the pressure created by a circular vacuum cup with a diameter of 4.5 inches in order to generate 120 pounds of force on a flat object. The solution involves using the equation P = F/A and converting psi to inches of mercury. The person seeking help has arrived at the correct answer, which needs to be subtracted from atmospheric pressure to get the absolute pressure inside the cup. They also apologize for their delayed reply due to being on vacation.
Chris@ETI

Homework Statement

I have a circular vacuum cup. The cup has a diameter of 4.5 inches. I need to calculate the amount of pressure, in inches of mercury (Hg), that the vacuum created by the cup would have to be in order to generate 120 pounds of force on a flat object.

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's been years since I've had to do any math or physics, but this is what I think is correct.

First, P = F/A, where P = pressure, F = force, and A=area
P = 120 pounds / ((2.25)^2 * pi) = 7.55 psi

Second, convert psi to Hg:
1 psi = 2.036 Hg, so 7.55*2.036 = 15.36 Hg

So, what I'm hoping for here is verification that I did this correctly or someone to set me straight on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds right, you have to subtract the answer from atmospheric pressure ( about 15psi) to get the absolute pressure inside the cup.
You have calculated the pressure difference.

Thank you for you assistance on this.

I also apologize for my delayed reply, I was on vacation.

1. What is vacuum?

Vacuum is a state of space in which there is no matter or air present. It is created by removing all air molecules from a confined space, resulting in very low pressure.

2. How is vacuum used to generate force?

In a vacuum, there is no air resistance or friction, allowing objects to move more freely and generate more force. This is due to the absence of air molecules pushing against the object and slowing it down.

3. How do you calculate the amount of vacuum required to generate a specific amount of force?

The amount of vacuum required to generate a specific amount of force depends on various factors such as the size and shape of the object, the weight of the object, and the desired force. A vacuum pump is often used to create and control the level of vacuum needed.

4. What are some applications of using vacuum to generate force?

Vacuum is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, manufacturing, and research to create powerful suction forces for lifting, holding, and manipulating objects. It is also used in vacuum tubes, electron microscopes, and vacuum chambers for testing and experimentation.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with vacuum to generate force?

Yes, working with vacuum can be dangerous and precautions should be taken to avoid injury. These can include using proper protective equipment, ensuring the vacuum system is properly maintained and monitored, and following proper procedures for handling and disposing of materials used in the vacuum process.