Incline Plane + Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks connected by a string over a frictionless pulley. The angle of incline is given and the kinetic coefficient of friction is mentioned. The question asks for the minimum value of the static friction coefficient to prevent one of the blocks from starting to move. The conversation also mentions the importance of drawing a free-body diagram and understanding the forces involved before solving the problem.
chaotixmonjuish
Two blocks with mass m1 = 4.6 kg and m2 = 5.6 kg are connected by a massless string over a frictionless and massless pulley. The angle of the incline is equal to 55.0°. The kinetic coefficient of friction between m1 and the incline is 0.17. What is the minimum value of the static friction coefficient that will prevent m1 from starting to move if it is at rest.

img:http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/jtdla/?action=view&current=prob02a.gif

I'm not exactly sure what this question is asking. I went ahead and set up a few equations.

M1
x: T-f-m1g*sin(theta)=m1a
y: N-m1g*cos(theta)=0

M2
y: T-m2g=ma

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that a string is always ONLY in tension and any transmitted force must therefore be in the same direction as the string.

I'm having another problem calculating the acceleration if m1 were going down the incline (I was able to calculate if it were going up).

For the static friction case, realize that the acceleration of the blocks must be zero.

When the blocks move, realize that kinetic friction always opposes slipping.

In this kind of problem, it is usually helpful to draw a free-body diagram. That is the block M1 with all the forces on it shown. Use arrows to show which way the forces act; if you don't know which direction, make a good guess. Don't worry about x-y components of the forces till you have them all accounted for. Before writing any equations, talk to yourself and say "Self, have I included every force mentioned in the problem? If not, why not." Ask yourself what will move (if anything) and in what direction. You should be able to reason this out before you start the math. If necessary, build a simple physical model and play with it. All this takes a lot of time but presumably you came here to learn Physics not to learn how to do this particular problem.

I actually got it. Though I need help justifying one part of me answer. later in the problem it asks about acceleration if M1 is moving up and down the incline. Why is it that the =m1a part stays negative while the friction stuff doesn't change.

chaotixmonjuish said:
Why is it that the =m1a part stays negative while the friction stuff doesn't change.
I don't understand this statement. The acceleration stays positive (up the ramp) while the friction changes direction depending upon which way m1 is moving.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is angled or sloped. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object from one point to another.

2. How does friction affect an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and it affects an inclined plane by making it more difficult to move objects up or down the slope. Friction increases as the angle of the incline increases, making it harder to move objects against gravity.

3. How can friction be reduced on an inclined plane?

To reduce friction on an inclined plane, you can use a lubricant such as oil or wax on the surface of the plane. This will help to reduce the contact between the object and the surface, making it easier to slide or roll.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the force needed to move an object?

The steeper the angle of the incline, the greater the force needed to move an object up the slope. This is because the component of the weight of the object acting parallel to the incline increases as the angle increases, making it harder to overcome with a smaller force.

5. How does the mass of the object affect its motion on an inclined plane?

The mass of the object affects its motion on an inclined plane by increasing the amount of force needed to move the object up the slope. Heavier objects have more weight, which increases the force of friction and makes it harder to move up the incline.