Maximum Speed and Banked Turns in Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum speed a car can have while driving over a circular hill with radius r, and the range of speeds the car must maintain to stay on a circular turn of radius r=50m on a wet, inwardly banked road. The equations a = mv^2 / r and v = wr are relevant to the problem. The speaker is unsure of how to find the maximum speed in part A and is struggling with visualizing the problem in part B. They are seeking help and clarification on the problem.
Sean77771

Homework Statement

Part A) A car drives over a circular hill (hill radius is r). Is there a maximum speed that the car can have and still remain in contact with the road? If not, why not. If so, find an expression for the maximum speed.

Part B) Now, the car (with mass = 1000kg) enters a circular turn of radius, r=50m. The road is inwardly banked at an angle of 15 degrees. The road is wet so the coefficients of friction are: static u_s = 0.15, kinetic u_k = 0.08, rolling u_r = 0.02. Determine the range for the speed (v_min < v < v_max) that the car must maintain to stay on the circular turn.

Homework Equations

a = mv^2 / r
v = wr

The Attempt at a Solution

Very lost with this problem. I am assuming for part a that there is a maximum speed (this makes sense just thinking about it physically) but I don't know how to find this. I also can deduce that the greater the radius is, the greater the max speed will become. For part b, I tried drawing a free body diagram, but it seems to be in three dimensions because of the bank in the curve and I'm not sure how to account for that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please? I could really use some help.

Even if it's just A or B?

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is moving at the same speed but changing direction constantly, resulting in a circular motion.

2. What are the key characteristics of uniform circular motion?

The key characteristics of uniform circular motion include constant speed, constant direction, and a circular path. These characteristics are what differentiate it from other types of motion.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object in uniform circular motion. This force is necessary to counterbalance the object's tendency to move in a straight line due to its inertia.

4. How is uniform circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force acts as the external force that keeps the object in its circular path. This is also related to Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

5. Can an object in uniform circular motion have a changing speed?

No, an object in uniform circular motion cannot have a changing speed. This is because the speed of the object must remain constant for it to maintain a circular path. However, the object's velocity, which includes the direction of motion, is constantly changing due to the change in direction of the object's motion.