Terminal Velocity of a sky diver

In summary, the problem involves a sky diver of mass 83.0 kg jumping from a slow-moving aircraft and reaching a terminal speed of 46.0 m/s. To calculate the acceleration of the sky diver at a speed of 30.0 m/s, the formula R=-bv is used, with R representing the resistance force, b being the constant, and v being the speed. Solving for b and plugging it back into the equation results in an acceleration of 3.41 m/s^2. However, there may be a discrepancy with the answer due to different assumptions or parameters used in the online homework applet.
mkwok

Homework Statement

A sky diver of mass 83.0 kg jumps from a slow-moving aircraft and reaches a terminal speed of 46.0 m/s.
(a) What is the acceleration of the sky diver when her speed is 30.0 m/s?

Homework Equations

R=-bv
mg-bv=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

since R is the resistance force acting on the sky diver: R=mg
therefore I set:
83*9.8 = -b(46),
and solve for b, b = -17.683
then plug the same numbers back into mg-bv=ma to solve for the acceleration at 30m/s
(83)(9.8)-(17.683)(30)=(83)a
a = 3.41m/s^2

but this is not correct, can someone please tell me what i did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks fine to me. Though you usually take fluid friction proportional to v^2, not v.

well, so how would I approach this question with v^2?
I know for sure that I got the answer incorrect because I typed it into my online homework applet, it came out to be wrong.

You'd do it exactly the same but use R=-bv^2 instead. But all of this depends on what you are supposed to assume. Did the problem ask you to take R=-bv? This is always a problem with these applets. It could be expecting a minus sign (since the acceleration is down), it could be expecting a different number of significant figures, who knows? But it you think you should take R=-bv, then you did it correctly.

What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object, such as a sky diver, can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air. It occurs when the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity acting on the object.

How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the formula v=√(2mg/ρAC), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

What factors affect the terminal velocity of a sky diver?

The terminal velocity of a sky diver is affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the sky diver, the density and viscosity of the air, and the shape and orientation of the body.

Can a sky diver exceed terminal velocity?

It is not possible for a sky diver to exceed terminal velocity due to the balancing forces of gravity and air resistance. However, the sky diver can change their body position and reduce their cross-sectional area, potentially increasing their speed temporarily before returning to terminal velocity.

How does altitude affect the terminal velocity of a sky diver?

At higher altitudes, the air is less dense and therefore offers less resistance, resulting in a higher terminal velocity for a sky diver. However, this effect is typically small and does not significantly impact the overall terminal velocity of a sky diver.