Identifying Objects in the Solar System

In summary, the conversation involved identifying images of various celestial bodies and discussing potential signs of life on other planets. The conversation also touched on the possibility of life on other planets and the importance of keeping an open mind when considering evidence.
ElizebethDylan
I have found 11 of these but it's taken two days, if you have any idea where to even begin looking for these please help me out! The ones I can't figure out are 1,2,3,5,6,11,14, and 18. If you know what the others are feel free to let me know no problem in double checking! Thanks a ton

http://www.physics.utah.edu/~cassida...50_Makeup.html [Broken]

Dylan

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The link got cut off...

russ_watters said:
The link got cut off...
It's the ... in the URL, which results from not pasting correctly.

Hmmm.. this looks like fun! Lemme take a stab

2) One of the moons of Saturn. Enceledus?
3) Iapetus
4) Juptier
5) Blueberries on Mars
6) Volcano on Io (Loki?)
7) A ridge on Mercury due to contraction while cooling
8) Mimas
9) grrr can't remember
10) Haze in Titan's atmosphere
11) Triton and Neptune
12) Uranus
13) Radio image of Venus, I think
14) Pluto
15) Apollo on the moon
16) Cassini at Saturn
17) Gaspera and Ida from Galileo
18) The nucleus of Halley's comet

MaWM said:
Hmmm.. this looks like fun! Lemme take a stab

2) One of the moons of Saturn. Enceledus?
3) Iapetus
4) Juptier
5) Blueberries on Mars
6) Volcano on Io (Loki?)
7) A ridge on Mercury due to contraction while cooling
8) Mimas
9) grrr can't remember
10) Haze in Titan's atmosphere
11) Triton and Neptune
12) Uranus
13) Radio image of Venus, I think
14) Pluto
15) Apollo on the moon
16) Cassini at Saturn
17) Gaspera and Ida from Galileo
18) The nucleus of Halley's comet

These are the official Answers I'm turning in! Thanks for the help!
1. This one was a joke right…?
2. Surface of Europa, a moon of Jupiter
3. Iapetus, a moon of Saturn
4. Jupiter’s surface
5. Martian Blueberries
6. Lo
7. Mercury’s surface taken from the Mariner 10 on Sept. 21, main focus is the scarp, or cliff, that crosses the image diagonally from top left to lower right
8. Saturn’s satellite Mimus- taken from the Voyager in 1980
9. Picture of Uranus’s satellite Miranda taken from the Voyager 2 Mission in 1986
10. Saturn’s moon Titan in thick haze
11. Triton (front) Neptune (back)
12. false color picture of Uranus and its rings and moons from the Hubble Telescope
13. A 3-d view of Maat Mons on Venus taken during the Magellan mission
14. Pluto
15. The Surveyor 1’s shadow on the moon taken in 1966
16. Cassini at Saturn
17. Ida with it’s satellite Dactyl on the right
18. Halley’s Comet

B- Europa’s icy surface is cracked and they think that there might be water beneath that could contain bacterial life.
C-#10, Due to its substantial atmosphere made of nitrogen and methane, Titan has a similar atmosphere that Earth had in its initial state, leading to the conclusion that it might develop life in the future.

Why is #1 a joke? You're sure it's not the surface of a heavenly body?

#1 is not a joke, I've seen it before, but I don't remember which one it is. It looks like an icy moon, but it could be Earth's moon.

#6. It's spelled Io, not Lo.

#14. There's an object in the inset top left of that image. Do you know what it is?

tony873004 said:
#1 is not a joke, I've seen it before, but I don't remember which one it is. It looks like an icy moon, but it could be Earth's moon.

#6. It's spelled Io, not Lo.

#14. There's an object in the inset top left of that image. Do you know what it is?

haha oops. thanks and with 14 I think its pluto and and then a zoomed picture of it but idk and i know its not a joke but i can't find it and i didnt want to leave it blank

DaveC426913 said:
Why is #1 a joke? You're sure it's not the surface of a heavenly body?

haha imagine that- #1 the "joke" a picture in my textbook- maybe i should open it more often its Callisto

Nope, #1 is a closeup of the Mars meteorite that had the "life-form" inclusions in it.

On #14 the image in the corner is the "real' picture of Pluto, and the big picture is a computer enhanced digitised representation of a series of those Hubble shots (the pic in the corner is from Hubble BTW).

Oh, BTW, I believe that #5 is a picture of one of the other life-forms in our solar system!

BrainTeaser48 said:
Nope, #1 is a closeup of the Mars meteorite that had the "life-form" inclusions in it.

well either way i think I am going to take my textbooks word- but thanks

BrainTeaser48 said:
Oh, BTW, I believe that #5 is a picture of one of the other life-forms in our solar system!
No. The blueberries on Mars are definitely not signs of life. They're a well-known geologic process that occurs here on Earth (in fact, that's how they were identified)

But http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/mars-meteorite.jpg" [Broken] is hotly debated to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful with that KoolAid Eugene!

I suppose it is easier to blow off evidence in the face of skepticism, but...
What Earth based processes produce speroidal hematite separate in a hematite depleted layer of rock? Not any that are geologic! As a matter of fact the only processes that can separate hematite from a mineral matrix without active chemical processes is smelting, and any chemical process CAN be a clue of life. I am not saying the "blueberries" are life, or even an indication of life, but on Earth the only processes that do not involve crystalization that could have produced such spheres is life. Please keep an open mind or we may be responsible for the extinction of the Horta (StarTrek).

1. How do scientists identify objects in the solar system?

Scientists use various methods such as telescopes, satellites, and spacecraft to observe and study objects in the solar system. They also use data analysis and computer simulations to identify and track these objects.

2. What criteria do scientists use to classify objects in the solar system?

Scientists use several criteria, including the object's size, composition, orbit, and location, to classify objects in the solar system. For example, planets are large, round objects that orbit the sun, while asteroids are smaller and mostly found in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

3. How do scientists differentiate between natural and artificial objects in the solar system?

Natural objects in the solar system, such as planets and asteroids, follow natural laws of motion and have a specific composition. In contrast, artificial objects, such as satellites and spacecraft, have a human-made design and follow specific trajectories set by scientists.

4. Are all objects in the solar system visible to the naked eye?

No, not all objects in the solar system are visible to the naked eye. Some, like planets and the moon, can be seen without a telescope, while others, such as comets and asteroids, may require a telescope or binoculars to be seen.

5. How do scientists track the movements of objects in the solar system?

Scientists use mathematical equations and data from telescopes and satellites to track the movements of objects in the solar system. They also use computer algorithms and simulations to predict the future positions of these objects.