Specific heat and latent heat of fusion

In summary, the problem involves determining the mass of remaining ice in a jar of tea after adding 112 g of ice at 0.0°C to cool the tea, which has a mass of 220 g and a specific heat capacity of 4186 J/Kg*C. After using the equations Q=Cp*m*\T and Q=m*Lf, it is found that the mass of remaining ice is 553.1g. However, it should be noted that this mass includes both melted ice and ice that still needs to be melted and heated to 15°C.
rahndezvous
Hi this is my first post and I'm stumped on my last HW problem, so I'm open to suggestions or solutions.

1. A jar of tea is placed in sunlight until it reaches an equilibrium temperature of 35°C. In an attempt to cool the liquid, which has a mass of 220 g, 112 g of ice at 0.0°C is added. At the time at which the temperature of the tea is 15°C, determine the mass of the remaining ice in the jar. Assume the specific heat capacity of the tea to be that of pure liquid water.

_______grams

2. specific heat of water 4186 J/Kg*C
Latent heat of fusion for water 3.33*10^5 J/Kg
Q=Cp*m*/\T
Q=m*Lf
m=Q/Lf

4186 Cp*.22 Kg*20 C=18418.4
18418.4/3.33*10^5 Lf = .5531
.5531*1000=553.1g

Why do I get more than i started with?

Physics news on Phys.org
please reply within the next 9.5 hours thanks :)

rahndezvous, don't forget that once you've melted the ice, you then need to increase the temperature of the melted ice to 15oC.

1. What is specific heat and how is it related to temperature?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of the substance's ability to store heat energy. The higher the specific heat, the more heat energy is required to raise the temperature.

2. How does specific heat differ between substances?

The specific heat of a substance is dependent on its molecular structure and composition. Different substances have different specific heats due to variations in their atomic and molecular interactions. For example, water has a relatively high specific heat compared to other substances, making it a good thermal regulator.

3. What is the latent heat of fusion?

The latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat energy required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state, or vice versa, without changing its temperature. This occurs at the substance's melting or freezing point. The latent heat of fusion is a measure of the energy required to break the intermolecular bonds and change the substance's phase.

4. How is the latent heat of fusion important in everyday life?

The latent heat of fusion is important in many everyday processes, such as cooking and refrigeration. When water changes from a solid (ice) to a liquid (water), it absorbs heat energy from its surroundings, making it useful for cooling drinks or preserving food. On the other hand, when water freezes, it releases heat energy, which can be used to heat homes in cold climates.

5. Can the specific heat and latent heat of fusion of a substance be changed?

The specific heat and latent heat of fusion of a substance are intrinsic properties that do not change. However, they can be affected by external factors such as pressure and impurities. For example, adding salt to water can lower its specific heat and increase its freezing point, making it useful for de-icing roads. Pressure can also affect the melting and freezing points of substances, which can alter their latent heat of fusion.