Where Can I Find a Quality Dewar Flask for Under $400?

• Thread starter Guthran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flask
In summary, a group of friends are looking to surprise their physics teacher with a gift at the end of the year. They are considering a Dewar flask, but are unsure about the cost and availability. Some options for purchasing a Dewar flask within their budget are suggested, including a plastic flask specifically designed for LN2 and a steel flask. Additionally, a suggestion is made to visit a welding supply store to rent a Dewar flask. One member of the group shares their experience with buying a gift for their professor in the past.
Guthran
I wasn't quite sure which category this fit into, and if it's not this one, I'm sorry.

A couple of friends and I are great friends with our physics teacher. He is a great guy.
He likes to use LN2 alot, but to rent a dewar flask is fairly expensive he says and they're not always available.

A couple of friends and I are deciding to surprise him at the end of this year with a "you're awesome, thank you" gift at the end of this year. We were planning on getting him a Dewar Flask, about 4 L big. If anyone can help me out in picking out a good quality one for under around 400$ that would be great.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alas, it's a bit out of your budget:

http://www.fishersci.com/wps/portal/PRODUCTDETAIL?productId=1588209&catalogId=29104&pos=1&catCode=RE_SC&fromCat=yes&keepSessionSearchOutPut=true&brCategoryId=null&hlpi=y&fromSearch=Y [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, a Dewar flask is my hip pocket Scotch supply. You can get one for about $5.

If, for some reason, you can't manage to get an affordable Dewar flask, you could always go with a Klein bottle instead. :biggrin:
http://www.kleinbottle.com/" [Broken]

Actually, I hadn't thought about this before, but that would be a great way to keep my stash away from parasitic visitors who aren't smart enough to get the Scotch out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I know you wanted to buy one, but here's what our physics teacher said he used to do. He'd go to a welding supply store to buy some LN2 and when asked if he had a Dewar flask he'd simply say no and they would let him sign for one and put down something like a $500 deposit. Sounds like a cool gift.

Guthran said:
A couple of friends and I are deciding to surprise him at the end of this year with a "you're awesome, thank you" gift at the end of this year. We were planning on getting him a Dewar Flask, about 4 L big. If anyone can help me out in picking out a good quality one for under around 400$ that would be great.

Thanks.
With $400, you should be able to easily buy a nice, silvered glass 10L dewar if you don't mind buying used.

Last edited:
At the end of my last semester as an undergrad, I bought my aero professor a bottle of booze because I enjoyed his class the most of all the ones I had that semester. That was the only time I bought a teacher anything. It was more like, cheers, I am done with this sh!t! Hes a good professor though, and a good guy. Hes pretty young for a professor, early 30's.

1. What is a Dewar flask?

A Dewar flask, also known as a vacuum flask or cryogenic flask, is a specialized container used for storing and transporting cryogenic materials, such as liquid nitrogen or helium. It is designed to keep the contents at a low temperature for an extended period of time.

2. Why is it important to find a quality Dewar flask?

It is important to find a quality Dewar flask to ensure the safe storage and transportation of cryogenic materials. A high-quality flask will have a strong and durable construction, as well as good insulation to maintain the low temperature of the contents. This reduces the risk of accidents and damage to the materials.

3. Can I find a quality Dewar flask for under $400?

Yes, you can find a quality Dewar flask for under $400. Many reputable scientific supply companies offer a variety of Dewar flasks at different price points. It is important to research and compare options to find the best quality flask within your budget.

4. Where can I purchase a quality Dewar flask?

You can purchase a quality Dewar flask from scientific supply companies, such as Fisher Scientific or VWR, or from online retailers, such as Amazon or eBay. It is important to ensure that the seller is reputable and the flask is from a trusted brand.

5. How do I know if a Dewar flask is of good quality?

A good quality Dewar flask will have a strong and sturdy construction, with thick walls and a well-sealed lid. It should have good insulation, such as a vacuum layer or foam, to maintain the low temperature of the contents. It is also important to check the flask for any defects or damage before use.