Solve the Puzzle: Draw 4 Identical Shapes from a Square

In summary: A,B,C,D. The midpoint of side A is at mA1 and the midpoint of side D is at mD1. The center point is mC.In summary, the squares are A,B,C,D. The midpoint of side A is at mA1 and the midpoint of side D is at mD1. The center point is mC. The puzzle can be solved by drawing a square, dividing it into four identical squares, removing the bottom left hand square, and dividing the resulting shape into four identical shapes.
suprabhu
Hi all,

Can anyone let me how the following puzzle can be solved :

draw a square. divide it into four identical squares. remove the bottom left hand square. now divide the resulting shape into four identical shapes

Thanks,
Suppie

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. I've attached my solution. I spent a few hours drawing the square. :biggrin:

Attachments

• square.gif
    square.gif
    2 KB · Views: 917
When I click to open d1ff's square.gif file, I get this puzzling message:

-----

Redbelly98, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

So do I. I think I did something wrong. I'll just describe it:

Label the squares A, B, and C. The center point of A is cA, B is cB, and c is cC. Clockwise, starting at the top, name each side of each square: A1, A2, A3, A4, etc. Note A2 = B4, B3 = C1. Call the midpoint of each side mA1, mA2, etc. The center point is the point common to all three squares. Then, connect the dots:

mA3 + cA + cB (through mB4 = mA2) + cC (through mB3 = mC1) + mC4 + center point + mA3 again

Now erase the bottom half of A2 and the left part of B3 --> this is the shape you need. If you have divided the original square into 4 squares and kept those lines, then you should have the puzzle solved.

There's nothing wrong with the image, there's something wrong with this particular forum. For some reason, the Brain Teaser forum will NOT allow you to view attached files as long as you're logged in. Log out, and you can see it just fine. Or, if you have a separate browser, you can view it with that-- I typically run Firefox, so I just launch MSIE to view images, where I'm not logged in already.

This has been reported a few times, but so far it seems either nothing can be done to fix the problem, or it's a little to complicated to warrant fixing.

DaveE

1. How do you solve the puzzle of drawing 4 identical shapes from a square?

To solve this puzzle, you will need to divide the square into four equal parts. You can do this by drawing a diagonal line from one corner to the opposite corner, creating two triangles. Then, draw a line perpendicular to the diagonal line, dividing each triangle into two equal parts. This will give you four identical shapes.

2. Can you provide a step-by-step guide for solving this puzzle?

Step 1: Draw a diagonal line from one corner of the square to the opposite corner.
Step 2: Draw a line perpendicular to the diagonal line, dividing each triangle into two equal parts.
Step 3: You will now have four identical shapes.

3. What is the mathematical concept behind this puzzle?

The mathematical concept behind this puzzle is symmetry. By dividing the square into four equal parts, we are creating four identical shapes that are symmetrical to each other.

4. Are there any other ways to solve this puzzle?

Yes, there are multiple ways to solve this puzzle. One way is to divide the square into four equal rectangles by drawing two lines parallel to each other. Another way is to cut the square into four equal pieces using a straight cut and rearrange them to form four identical shapes.

5. Why is this puzzle considered a brain teaser?

This puzzle is considered a brain teaser because it requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to find the solution. It also challenges our spatial reasoning abilities and tests our understanding of symmetry and geometry.