Can you google search PF blogs?

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of students potentially stealing homework or project work posted on a public forum. The possibility of preventing this from happening through privacy settings or changing titles is mentioned. The time it takes for new content to be indexed on Google is also brought up. There used to be an option to make journal posts private, but it is unclear if it is still available. The conversation concludes with suggestions for controlling who can view the blog and preventing search bots from crawling it.
_Mayday_
Hey all,

Well recently I have been somewhat reluctant to post homework help, and other project work on here that I am far into in the fear that other members of my class can steal it. This information is like numbers, and often requires a lot of work, but there would never be any evidence supporting the fact that they had copied me. Are the PF blogs likely to come up into google if you typed something related to it in google. With my homework questions it is sometimes the first link that comes up. Is there a way to actually stop this all from happening? If there isn't I'm cool with that, and I guess I will just reword some of the question so that they don't come up.

Some people may think its stupid I have a problem with this, but when grades are being continuously compared with others, and there are end of year prizes coming I find it frustrating that people who do not work hard can benefit from mine.

Thanks

_Mayday_ :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
_Mayday_ said:
Are the PF blogs likely to come up into google if you typed something related to it in google.

Once the blogs are indexed, yes

What would the time period be from say the moment the blog is published until it has been indexed?

Thanks for the response.

_Mayday_ said:
What would the time period be from say the moment the blog is published until it has been indexed?

Thanks for the response.

Only google knows the exact time, but usually new content will show up on google within a week of publishing.

Thanks. =]

Greg Bernhardt said:
Only google knows the exact time, but usually new content will show up on google within a week of publishing.
I've had it show up same day.

Ah right, thanks Evo. I think I will just keep doing what I am but just change a few words in titles of the work etc. and I should be fine.

Thanks for the help you two! :smile:

_Mayday_

There used to be a selection for making journal posts private, that should keep them off search engines.

Is that option still available? Which members would be able to see them?

_Mayday_ said:
Is that option still available? Which members would be able to see them?
On your blog options page you can control what different users can see/do. There are three groups of users, contacts, those users on your ignore list and everyone else. I would guess that if you were to only allow your contacts to view your blog, then the search bots would be barred from crawling your blog.

I haven't restarted my blog, but there used to be a "make private" option. This would block anyone from seeing your post other than you.

1. What is a PF blog?

A PF blog is a personal finance blog, where individuals share their personal experiences, tips, and advice related to managing money, saving, investing, and achieving financial goals.

2. Why should I google search for PF blogs?

Google search allows you to find a variety of PF blogs from different sources, making it easier to find the ones that align with your interests and needs. It also allows you to compare and contrast different blogs to get a well-rounded understanding of personal finance.

3. How do I know if a PF blog is reliable?

Look for PF blogs that are written by experts in the field, have a strong following and positive reviews from readers, and provide evidence-based information. It is also important to do your own research and fact-check information before implementing any advice from a PF blog.

4. Can PF blogs help me improve my financial situation?

Yes, PF blogs can provide valuable insights, tips, and strategies for managing your money, saving, and investing. However, it is important to keep in mind that everyone's financial situation is unique, so it is essential to tailor the advice to your specific circumstances.

5. Are PF blogs only for people with a lot of money?

No, PF blogs are for anyone who wants to improve their financial literacy and make better financial decisions. They can be helpful for people at any income level and can provide valuable information on budgeting, saving, and investing for all individuals.