Work on Block with an opposing force

In summary, the problem involves a block on a frictionless surface being pushed by two forces, F_1 = 75.0 N and F_2 = 20.0 N, in opposite directions. The block starts at position x_i = -1.00 cm and ends at position x_f = 2.00 cm. The task is to find the work done by each force on the block. The equation W = F*d can be used, but it is important to consider the angles between the forces and the displacement. The hint given involves finding the smaller angle between the force and displacement vectors.
Ltcellis

Homework Statement

Two forces, of magnitudes F_1 = 75.0 N and F_2 = 20.0 N, act in opposite directions on a block, which sits atop a frictionless surface, as shown in the figure. Initially, the center of the block is at position x_i = -1.00 cm. At some later time, the block has moved to the right, and its center is at a new position, x_f = 2.00 cm.

Find the work W_1 done on the block by the force of magnitude F_1 = 75.0 N as the block moves from x_i = -1.00 cm to x_f = 2.00

Do the same for W_1 by force of magnitude F_2 = 20

Homework Equations

W= F d

Since it's already parallel no need for cos

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, apparently I found out that F * d does not give the correct answer. I also tried subtracting one force or one resultant work from the other but it still isn't correct. The hint that is given to us has something to do with vectors and angles but I don't see how that will apply since the force is already parallel to the surface distance. Is there something hidden that I'm missing? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ltcellis said:

Homework Statement

Two forces, of magnitudes F_1 = 75.0 N and F_2 = 20.0 N, act in opposite directions on a block, which sits atop a frictionless surface, as shown in the figure. Initially, the center of the block is at position x_i = -1.00 cm. At some later time, the block has moved to the right, and its center is at a new position, x_f = 2.00 cm.

Find the work W_1 done on the block by the force of magnitude F_1 = 75.0 N as the block moves from x_i = -1.00 cm to x_f = 2.00

Do the same for W_1 by force of magnitude F_2 = 20

Homework Equations

W= F d

Since it's already parallel no need for cos

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, apparently I found out that F * d does not give the correct answer. I also tried subtracting one force or one resultant work from the other but it still isn't correct. The hint that is given to us has something to do with vectors and angles but I don't see how that will apply since the force is already parallel to the surface distance. Is there something hidden that I'm missing? Any thoughts?

Thanks
F.d should work if applied correctly. Perhaps if you showed more detail we could help you out.

Well the only thing I can add on is the diagram

MWE_wi_5.jpg

Other than that, all that I said is all the information given.

The hint says something like this :

The work W done by a force F_vec in producing a displacement s_vec is given by

W = \vec{F} * \vec{s} = \\vec{F} *\vec{s} *\cos{\phi},
where \vec{F}\ and \\vec{s}\ are the magnitudes of \vec{F} and \vec{s} respectively, and phi is the smaller angle between the two vectors.

The only thing is, I don't see how an angle is applied if the forces are already parallel.
I tried F * d but it says its incorrect.

I'll say again, you can apply W=Fd here provided that you apply it correctly.

You need to be careful with the angles. Are both the forces applied parallel to the displacement?

Last edited:

1. What is work on a block with an opposing force?

Work on a block with an opposing force is a physical concept that describes the energy exerted to move an object against an opposing force, such as friction or gravity.

2. How is work on a block with an opposing force calculated?

The work done on a block with an opposing force is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work on a block with an opposing force?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J), which is equivalent to one newton-meter (Nm). This unit represents the amount of energy required to exert a force of one newton over a distance of one meter.

4. Can work on a block with an opposing force be negative?

Yes, work on a block with an opposing force can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This indicates that the force is doing work against the motion of the object, resulting in a decrease in its energy.

5. How does the angle between the force and displacement affect work on a block with an opposing force?

The angle between the force and displacement affects the amount of work done on a block with an opposing force. When the force and displacement are parallel, the work done is equal to the force multiplied by the distance. However, when the force and displacement are at an angle, the work done is equal to the component of the force in the direction of the displacement multiplied by the distance.