Bessel Function First Kind: Can Someone Help with C and RK Method?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bessel functions of the first kind in calculating mutual inductance between two inductors. The equation to be solved is provided, along with a reference to a book for further details. One person suggests using numerical techniques for practical use, while another asks for help with writing a program in C to compute Bessel functions and solve the Bessel equation using the Runge-Kutta method.
salla2
Hi everyone, I need some help solving a bessel function of the 1st order. The equation is used to calculate the mutual inductance between two inductors. The equation is:

M=(1.45*10^-8)*integral [J1(1.36x)J1(0.735x)exp(-13.6x)]dx

the integral is from zero to infinity.

Can someone help? please?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally for Bessel-functions of order [tex]\nu[/tex] we have the following:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}J_{\nu}(ax)J_{\nu}(bx)e^{-cx}dx = \frac{1}{\pi\sqrt{ab}}Q_{\nu - \frac12}\left(\frac{a^2+b^2+c^2}{2ab}\right)[/tex]

Here Q_n(x) are legendre functions of the second kind.

For more details check "Watson: A treatise on the theory of Bessel functions" If you need something considering Bessel functions, then its in this book... :D

salla2 said:
Hi everyone, I need some help solving a bessel function of the 1st order. The equation is used to calculate the mutual inductance between two inductors. The equation is:

the integral is from zero to infinity.

Can someone help? please?
Thank you.

You asked this before...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=301041"

The answer is the same... it is not an easy question, if you need to understand the answer, look into the book given by Thaakisfox. It is considered one of the most complete and advanced books on Bessel functions. It will take up a lot of time to read. I use it for looking things up.

coomast

Last edited by a moderator:
J1(x)=(x/2)[1-(((x/2)^2)/(2*!^2))+(((x/2)^4)/(3*2!^2))-...]

I substituted x with 1.36x for the 1st term in the equation above and 0.735x for the 2nd term in the equation above, then plugged the value of J1(1.36) and J1(0.735x) in

and calculated the value of M from zero to infinity using a TI89 calculator, I was able to obtain the value for M as 2.76585x10^-12

Is this process correct? I also got the book Thaakisfox mentioned from the library today and I'm working to see if there's an alternative solution that I can actually understand. Thank you guys for your help, I appreciate it.

salla2

Hello salla2,

I did this using the software program maxima and got the following output:

[tex]2.82623 \cdot 10^{-12}[/tex]

I assume this will be the same value as the one you have if you would use more terms. Attached is a picture of the maxima console. It is best to use numerical techniques for this kind of integrals especially if you are interested in a numerical value and not as such in a formula. The formula's are often very difficult to handle practically. This does not mean that they do not have any meaning, they are important for theoretical investigations.

best regards,

coomast

Attachments

• bessel_integral.png
    bessel_integral.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 426
anyone could help me with writing a programme to compute bessel function first kind with C
n=0,1,4
aslo soving Bessel Equation first kind by RK method with C

1. What is a Bessel Function of order 1?

A Bessel Function of order 1, also known as the first kind of Bessel function, is a special mathematical function that arises in many areas of physics and engineering. It is defined as the solution to the Bessel differential equation of the form x^2y'' + xy' + (x^2 - 1)y = 0.

2. How is the Bessel Function of order 1 used in real-world applications?

The Bessel Function of order 1 is used in various real-world applications, including in signal processing, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. It is particularly useful in describing the behavior of waves, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the mathematical representation of the Bessel Function of order 1?

The Bessel Function of order 1 is represented by the symbol J_1(x), where x is the variable. It can also be expressed in terms of its Taylor series expansion or through other special functions, such as the modified Bessel function.

4. How is the Bessel Function of order 1 related to other Bessel functions?

The Bessel Function of order 1 is closely related to other Bessel functions, such as the Bessel Function of order 0 and the Bessel Function of order 2. These functions are all solutions to the same Bessel differential equation, but with different values for the order parameter.

5. Are there any important properties of the Bessel Function of order 1?

Yes, the Bessel Function of order 1 has several important properties, including orthogonality, recurrence relations, and asymptotic behavior. These properties make it a powerful tool in solving various mathematical problems and analyzing physical phenomena.