Does your understanding of Quantum mechanics complete

In summary, understanding quantum mechanics is a gradual process that can take years, even after earning a PhD in physics. Simply taking an undergraduate course may not provide a complete understanding, as different books and teaching styles can greatly impact one's understanding. Graduate courses can further improve understanding, but even then, it may take continued study and research to fully grasp the subject. Despite the challenges, studying quantum mechanics is highly rewarding.
noblegas
... after you've taken your first undergrad course in quantum mechanics? Or does it take years , perhaps even well after you've earned your pHd in physics , for your understanding of the basic and advanced principles of quantum mechanics to be complete? Too hard to tell for me, but if I only paid attention to how my professor teaches quantum mechanics and not fully sought after any other QM book that presents QM in a entirely different fashion from the way the professor presents it, my understanding of QM would not be compete even if I passed my professor's class.

Physics news on Phys.org
noblegas said:
if I only paid attention to how my professor teaches quantum mechanics and not fully sought after any other QM book that presents QM in a entirely different fashion from the way the professor presents it, my understanding of QM would not be compete even if I passed my professor's class.

This true of many things, not just quantum mechanics.

Hmm, that's an interesing question. My best guess is that if you normalize to 1 being "perfect" understanding, then an undergrad course will put you at about .55. This is usually good enough if you're doing research that isn't heavily quantum mechanical, but which may once in awhile refer to it (i.e. particle astrophysics, biophysics, etc.) A year of graduate quantum will put that up at .75, which I think is enough to read papers that are quantum-heavy. This is usually a good idea if you're in high energy or (especially) condensed matter.

Of course, I'm taking field theory right now, and I feel like I'm back down to .05. So maybe something is wrong with my model.

If a one-semester undergraduate course in QM gave a complete understanding of the subject, why would graduate students have to take two semesters of it? :confused:

It's been close to two decades since I took my first quantum mechanics class, and it's one of those things that the more I learn about it, the less I think I really understand it.

depends which book your class is taught from.

those who read from Cohen-Tannoudji are better off than those who read from griffiths

I'm halfway through my first semester of graduate QM and only now are things starting to come together a little bit.It takes a while, but don't let that deter you from continuing your study of the subject. It's well worth it!

Question 1: What is Quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is a fundamental theory that has been widely studied and accepted by scientists.

Question 2: How does Quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of objects of large size and mass, while Quantum mechanics describes the behavior of objects at a very small scale. Quantum mechanics also incorporates the concept of uncertainty, where the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known.

Question 3: What is the importance of understanding Quantum mechanics?

Understanding Quantum mechanics is crucial for many technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a vital role in fields like chemistry, biology, and even cosmology.

Question 4: Is Quantum mechanics a complete theory?

The current understanding of Quantum mechanics is considered to be complete in terms of explaining and predicting the behavior of particles at a small scale. However, it is not yet fully integrated with the theory of general relativity, which describes the behavior of objects at a larger scale.

Question 5: Can Quantum mechanics be understood by non-scientists?

While the mathematical concepts behind Quantum mechanics can be challenging to grasp, the basic principles and implications of the theory can be understood by non-scientists. Many popular science books and documentaries have been created to make Quantum mechanics more accessible to the general public.