What is the value of vector a at t=pi given the initial conditions?

For example, it tells you that da_x/dt=-(the x-component of j x a). In this case, the x-component of j x a is just -a_z, so da_x/dt=-(-a_z)=a_z. Do you see how to use this to find the second derivative of a_x with respect to t?In summary, for the vector a, we have shown that d^2a_x/dt^2 =-a_x, da_y/dt=0, and d^2a_z/dt^2 =-a_z. To find the value of a at t=pi, we use the given initial conditions of a(0)=i+j and da/dt(0)=
EmmaK

Homework Statement

The vector a depends on a parameter t, i.e. [itex]a=a(t)=a_x(t)i +a_y(t)j +a_z(t)k[/itex]..
it satisfies the equation [itex]da/dt= j [/itex][tex]\times[/tex][itex] a[/itex]
show that [itex]d^2a_x/dt^2 =-a_x[/itex] , [itex]da_y/dt=0[/itex] and [itex]d^2a_z/dt^2 =-a_z[/itex].

For the vector a, find its value for t=pi if at t=0 [itex]a(0)=i+j[/itex] and [itex]da/dt(0)=0k [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] a.b = mod(a)mod(b)cos\theta [/itex]
[itex] a [/itex] X [itex] b = mod(a)mod(b)sin\theta[/tex] [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i have absolutely no idea how to start...

Physics news on Phys.org
To start you have to figure out what da/dt=jxa means in terms of the components of a, [ax,ay,az]. Can you find the cross product of the vector j with a?

EmmaK said:

Homework Statement

The vector a depends on a parameter t, i.e. [itex]a=a(t)=a_x(t)i +a_y(t)j +a_z(t)k[/itex]..
it satisfies the equation [itex]da/dt= j [/itex][tex]\times[/tex][itex] a[/itex]
show that [itex]d^2a_x/dt^2 =-a_x[/itex] , [itex]da_y/dt=0[/itex] and [itex]d^2a_z/dt^2 =-a_z[/itex].

For the vector a, find its value for t=pi if at t=0 [itex]a(0)=i+j[/itex] and [itex]da/dt(0)=0k [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] a.b = mod(a)mod(b)cos\theta [/itex]
[itex] a [/itex] X [itex] b = mod(a)mod(b)sin\theta[/tex] [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i have absolutely no idea how to start...

Have you written the second asked-to-be-shown equation correctly? I think it must be modified as follows: [itex]da_y/dt=c[/itex] (c being a constant).

To not get into the trouble of Latex, you can scan a photo of the printed question and put it on the forum.

AB

Last edited:
Altabeh said:
Have you written the second asked-to-be-shown equation correctly? I think it must be modified as follows: [itex]da_y/dt=c[/itex] (c being a constant).

[itex]da_y/dt=0[/itex] follows from [itex]da/dt= j \times a[/itex]

phsopher said:
[itex]da_y/dt=0[/itex] follows from [itex]da/dt= j \times a[/itex]

Oh, yes! I straightly put [itex]d^2a_y/{dt^{2}}=0[/itex] without looking at the first derivative. Thanks...

[itex]j[/itex] X [itex]a[/itex] will be [itex]a_z(t)i+0j-a_x(t).[/itex]

so,
[tex]\stackrel{da_y}{dt}[/tex]=0 , [tex]\stackrel{da_x}{dt}[/tex]=[itex]a_z (t)[/itex] and [tex]\stackrel{da_z}{dt}[/tex]= [itex]-a_x(t) [/itex]

EmmaK said:
[itex]j[/itex] X [itex]a[/itex] will be [itex]a_z(t)i+0j-a_x(t).[/itex]

so,
[tex]\stackrel{da_y}{dt}[/tex]=0 , [tex]\stackrel{da_x}{dt}[/tex]=[itex]a_z (t)[/itex] and [tex]\stackrel{da_z}{dt}[/tex]= [itex]-a_x(t) [/itex]

That's a good start. Can you continue from there?

I need to differentiate [itex]a_z (t)[/itex] with respect to t... can i just say it's [itex]-a_x [/itex] ?

Last edited:
EmmaK said:
I need to differentiate [itex]a_z (t)[/itex] with respect to t... can i just say it's [itex]a_z [/itex] ?

Well, no. da_z/dt isn't just a_z. Your last result says it's -a_x. Try looking at the second derivative part. You want to show e.g. d/dt(da_z/dt))=(-a_z). How would that work?

ahh i meant to write 'is it just -a_x'

can you integrate both sides? so da_z/dt is -a_x t , which is a function of t??

EmmaK said:
ahh i meant to write 'is it just -a_x'

can you integrate both sides? so da_z/dt is -a_x t , which is a function of t??

a_x isn't a constant. You can't integrate it by multiplying it by t. Just differentiate da_z/dt, that will give you the second derivative, right?

ok...but how do i differentiate -a_x(t) ?

ohhh, it's just -(the x -component of j x a)?

EmmaK said:
ok...but how do i differentiate -a_x(t) ?

ohhh, it's just -(the x -component of j x a)?

Right. da/dt=jxa tells you how to differentiate the components of a.

1. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are commonly represented as arrows in a coordinate system.

2. How are vectors typically denoted?

Vectors are typically denoted using boldface letters, such as v, or with an arrow on top, as in →v.

3. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical operation that involves finding the rate at which a function changes with respect to its input variable. It is used to calculate the slope or rate of change of a curve at a specific point.

4. How are vectors differentiated?

Vectors can be differentiated using the same rules as for differentiating scalar functions. However, instead of treating each component of the vector separately, the derivative of a vector is a vector itself.

5. What is the relationship between vectors and differentiation?

Vectors are often used in the study of differentiation, as they can represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or acceleration. In addition, differentiation can be applied to vector-valued functions, resulting in quantities such as the velocity and acceleration of a moving object.