Feynman propagator on the cylinder - position space representation

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for the position space representation of the Feynman propagator on a cylinder for a scalar quantum field. Suggestions are made to look in Kleinert's book on Path Integrals or to use screened coulomb interactions with periodic boundary conditions. However, the desired expression involves a sum/integral that has not been found in any literature. Some notes from MIT OCW provide a solution for the 1D version of the problem, but it may not be applicable to the 2D case.
DrFaustus
Hi all!

Does anyone know the position space representation of the Feynman propagator on the cylinder? The momentum space representation is the same as in Minkowski 2D space, but the position space representation is different because the integrals over momenta are now sums. Or could someone point me to some specific literature where I could find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DrFaustus!

Did you have a look in Kleinert's book on Path Integrals? He did a lot in curvelinear coordinates, maybe you find something.

Best regards

Hey Sunset, thanks a lot fo the hint but it doesn't appear to be of any use. I had a browse through the book and it seems to me that he's "only" dealing with quantum mechanical systems and not with fields. Which made me realize I wasn't too precise in my question...

I need the Feynman propagator for a scalar quantum field on the cylinder. Any other suggestions?

Quantum mechanics has the same form as 1+0 dimensional QFT. I found the propagator in cylindrical coordinates in a paper of Grosche
http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0305-4470/30/5/025"
(see also the attachment)

I think one should only add the [tex]\int d^3 x[/tex] in the exponential.

The problem is that it's a quite difficult expression ;)

I'm curious, for what do you need it? Thought about the singularity at the pole r=0?

Martin

Attachments

• PropCylinder.png
    PropCylinder.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 541
Last edited by a moderator:
Searching for (screened) coulomb interactions with periodic boundary conditions might help (since 1/(q^2+m^2) is just screened coulomb. The Ewald summation literature might have it as an example.

The 1d version (on a circle) is tractable, I have the answer in some notes somewhere.

Sunset -> Thanks for the help... but it again doesn't help :( I know QM is 1+ 0 D QFT, but the one spatial dimension makes a world of difference. The QM propagator in cylindrical coordinates is not the same as the field theoretical propagator on the cylinder. When I say "on the cylinder" I mean that the spacetime I'm living on is a cylinder, i.e. [tex] \mathbb{R}\times\mathbb{S}[/tex]. So it's 2D. It seems to me that the expression in your attachement is the propagator for a problem in QM with axial symmetry in 3 spatial dimension (judging by what I'm guessing are spehrical harmonics in the last line.) Basically what I'm looking for is an explicit expression for

[tex]
\int d \omega \sum _{p \in \mathbb{Z}} \frac{e^{i \omega t - i p x}}{- \omega^2 + p^2 + m^2 - i \epsilon}
[/tex]

which is the inverse Fourier transform of the Feynamn propagator in momentum space. (M is a positive constant and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is a small positive infinitesimal.) In Minkowski space the sum would be another integral and one can find that expression in books. But with the sum, I was not able to find it anywhere... I need it just for "completness" as my supervisor wants to put in into the paper we're workin on.

peteratcam -> I'm not sure if a screened coulomb interaction is actually of any help. Do your notes include a sum/integral as above?

Oh ok, thought you were talking about fields in cylindrical coordinates. Since you're talking about space-time in cylindrical coordinates, my atachement is of course of no use for you.

Best regards

DrFaustus said:
peteratcam -> I'm not sure if a screened coulomb interaction is actually of any help. Do your notes include a sum/integral as above?
I don't know if screened coulomb is any help either!
The result I remember is from some notes which used to be on MIT OCW, but now I can only find them here:
http://www-math.mit.edu/~etingof/
http://www-math.mit.edu/~etingof/lect.ps
Page 51, Quantum Mechanics on the Circle.
The notation takes a while to get used to, but it essentially gives you the answer to the question:
[tex]
\sum_p \frac{e^{ipx}}{p^2+m^2}
[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the Feynman propagator on the cylinder in position space representation?

The Feynman propagator on the cylinder is a mathematical expression used in quantum field theory to describe the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another on a cylindrical spacetime surface. It takes into account the effects of both space and time on the particle's movement.

How is the Feynman propagator on the cylinder derived?

The Feynman propagator on the cylinder can be derived using the Feynman path integral method, which involves summing over all possible paths that a particle can take between two points on a cylindrical spacetime surface. This results in a mathematical expression that takes into account the probability amplitudes for each path and the interactions between the particle and the surrounding fields.

What is the importance of the Feynman propagator on the cylinder in quantum field theory?

The Feynman propagator on the cylinder is an essential tool in quantum field theory as it allows for the calculation of transition amplitudes and scattering processes in a non-perturbative manner. It also provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles in curved spacetime and in the presence of external fields.

What are the limitations of the Feynman propagator on the cylinder in position space representation?

One limitation of the Feynman propagator on the cylinder is that it assumes a static cylindrical spacetime, meaning that it cannot be applied to dynamic situations. It also does not take into account the effects of quantum fluctuations, which can be significant in certain scenarios.

How is the Feynman propagator on the cylinder related to other propagators in quantum field theory?

The Feynman propagator on the cylinder is a specific case of the more general Feynman propagator, which describes the probability amplitude for a particle to travel between two points in any spacetime. It is also related to other propagators, such as the Schwinger-Keldysh propagator, which takes into account the effects of both forward and backward in time propagation.