Lead/Lag compensator - lead and lag time to pole and zero locations

In summary, you would need to convert the poles and zeros of the compensator into lead and lag time, respectively, in order to figure out how to adjust the compensator for stability.
adamkse
Hi,

I am having difficulty understanding how to convert pole and zero locations of a lead lag compensator into lead and lag time and vise versa.

I have a digital lead and lag compensator which requests: gain, lead time (min) and lag time (min). However i have the gain zeros and poles of the compensator.

If someone can tell me how to do this i would be most grateful.

Adam

Engineering news on Phys.org
adamkse said:
Hi,

I am having difficulty understanding how to convert pole and zero locations of a lead lag compensator into lead and lag time and vise versa.

I have a digital lead and lag compensator which requests: gain, lead time (min) and lag time (min). However i have the gain zeros and poles of the compensator.

If someone can tell me how to do this i would be most grateful.

Adam

Given the DC gain and poles and zeros of the transfer function, you should be able to make a Bode Plot that will show you your gain and phase margin. A pole gives you lead, and a zero gives you lag. You can adjust the position of the poles and zeros to ensure that you have adequate phase margin to ensure stability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot

Although I notice that the concept of lead-lag compensation may be treated a bit differently in control theory, compared to the circuit design context that I'm familiar with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-lag_compensator

Hope that helps.

yes i know that you can draw a bode plot from it to get the phase and gain margins but my specs are in the time domain so I have it in transfer function form like K.(s+zd)(s+zg)/(s+pd)(s+pg) where d is for lead and g is for lag. I don't understand how I can get this lag or lead time from either the bode plot or the root locus.

1. What is a Lead/Lag Compensator?

A Lead/Lag Compensator is a type of control system used in engineering and science to improve the performance of a feedback control system. It is designed to modify the frequency response of a system, allowing for better stability, accuracy, and speed in achieving the desired output.

2. How does a Lead/Lag Compensator work?

A Lead/Lag Compensator works by introducing a pole and a zero into the open-loop transfer function of a control system. The location of the pole and zero can be adjusted to achieve the desired frequency response and improve the performance of the system.

3. What is the difference between lead and lag time in a Lead/Lag Compensator?

Lead time refers to the time it takes for the output of the system to reach its steady-state value after a change in the input. Lag time, on the other hand, refers to the time delay between the input and the output of the system. In a Lead/Lag Compensator, the lead and lag times refer to the location of the pole and zero, respectively, in the frequency response.

4. What are the advantages of using a Lead/Lag Compensator?

Some advantages of using a Lead/Lag Compensator include improved stability, faster response time, increased accuracy, and better control over the system's frequency response. It can also help to reduce overshoot and improve the system's ability to reject disturbances.

5. How do I determine the optimal pole and zero locations for a Lead/Lag Compensator?

The optimal pole and zero locations for a Lead/Lag Compensator can be determined through analysis and simulation using mathematical models of the system. The locations can also be adjusted through trial and error, taking into account the desired performance and response of the system.