Feynman Rules : Propagator Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of momentum flow in a diagram and how it affects the equations used in the amplitude calculation. The direction of momentum flow is determined by the direction of the arrows on the propagator, which can be chosen to align with the spinor arrows for easier momentum conservation at the vertices.
Hepth
Gold Member
I know I should know this, but I have a quick question.
Let's say we have a diagram:

Code:
1-->----------2
          | 
          |   <- "q"
          v 
          | 
3--<----------4

Lets assume:
1 = "quark"
3 = "antiquark"
2 = W boson
4 = photon
q = same quark flavor as "3"

Time flows from left to right.

Now let's say I start writing the diagram at point 2:
[tex]
W_\mu \bar{u}_1 \gamma^\mu (1- \gamma_5) \frac{i}{\not q - m_3} (- i e \gamma^\alpha)\epsilon^{*}_\alpha v_3
[/tex]

I think that's right.
For every dirac spinor propagator I write [tex]\frac{i}{\not q - m}[/tex]

Now if I want to write out WHAT "q" is, I have to choose a direction of momentum flow. Is it convention, or by rule, that I drew the diagram from top to bottom, so the direction of "q" is up (against the direction of writing the amplitude).
so [tex] q = p_3- p_4[/tex]

Where both p1 and p3 are flowing IN and p2 and p4 are flowing OUT.

Or would it be down, and if not then why? What decides which way I write the momentum flow for the propagator as if I choose differently I get a different result.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, your arrows do not match your amplitude! With the arrows as you drew them, I would have written:

[tex]\overline{v}(p_3)(-ie\gamma^\mu)\frac{i(\not\!q+m)}{q^2-m^2}\left(ig\gamma^\nu\frac{1}{2}(1-\gamma^5)\right)u(p_1)\times\varepsilon^{\gamma*}_{\mu}(p_4) \varepsilon^{W*}_{\nu}(p_2)[/tex]

Now you just conserve momentum at each vertex. If you are letting TIME go left ---> right, as you seem to be doing):

[tex]q = p_1-p_2=p_4-p_3[/tex]

In other words: for an internal fermion line, you can always choose your momentum to flow in the direction of your spinor arrows. Then just apply the usual rules of momentum conservation at each vertex. That's all there is to it!

Blechman made it. You had it bad, because your arrows was on bad direction. Of you change direction you would have it good.

No, the arrows are what I want. I made a mistake with the spinors, yes. But my question had more to do with, as the arrow on the propagator is now, which way should i draw the current.
The answer being that I draw it with the arrow, thus letting me use conservation of momentum at the vertices.

Hepth said:
No, the arrows are what I want. I made a mistake with the spinors, yes. But my question had more to do with, as the arrow on the propagator is now, which way should i draw the current.
The answer being that I draw it with the arrow, thus letting me use conservation of momentum at the vertices.

If by current you actually mean MOMENTUM, then yes. When using Dirac spinors you can always chose the momenta on internal lines to be in the same direction as the spinor arrows.

Gah, i used to be an electrical engineer... sorry :)

1. What is a propagator in Feynman rules?

A propagator in Feynman rules is a mathematical expression that represents the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point in space-time to another. It is used to calculate the contribution of a virtual particle to a specific interaction in a Feynman diagram.

2. How is the propagator calculated in Feynman rules?

The propagator is calculated by taking the inverse of the quadratic term in the Lagrangian equation for the particle. This inverse term is then integrated over all possible paths that the particle can take between the initial and final points in the Feynman diagram.

3. What is the significance of the propagator in Feynman rules?

The propagator is significant because it allows for the calculation of the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another in a Feynman diagram. This, in turn, allows for the calculation of the overall amplitude for a specific interaction to occur.

4. How does the propagator change for different types of particles in Feynman rules?

The propagator can change for different types of particles in Feynman rules depending on their mass and spin. The form of the propagator is dictated by the specific Lagrangian equation for the particle, which takes into account its properties.

5. Can the propagator be used to calculate real particle interactions in Feynman rules?

No, the propagator is used to calculate the contribution of virtual particles to interactions in Feynman diagrams. Real particle interactions are calculated using the full Feynman diagram, including virtual and real particles, and taking into account conservation laws and other factors.