Can one skip masters courses in US grad school if already got masters in Europe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of skipping masters-level courses when applying to a US grad school and starting directly on a PhD program. The individual asking the question is concerned about having to retake courses they have already covered while obtaining their masters degree in Europe. The response states that it depends on the university and their policies, but in most cases, there will be some extra argument or qualifying exam required in order to proceed directly to PhD without retaking classes. The conversation also touches on the financial aspect, with some universities wanting to make more money by forcing students to retake classes. It is advised to check with the specific universities being considered for their policies on this matter.
elivil
Can one apply to the US grad school and skip masters level courses to start working on PhD in the first year? Because in Europe, masters degree is usually obtained instantly after undergrad, whereas PhD level studies are separated. One really wouldn't want after obtaining masters and getting into US grad school to attend standard classical mechanics, electrodynamics etc courses which one already covered studying for masters in Europe. Is it possible to wriggle out of them?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the school. Many of them will make you retake some or all of your coursework, even transferring from another US school. They might not make someone from Europe retake the masters entirely, but my friends from India and South America had to do their masters over again, even at low-ranked physics programs in the US. It depends on how good they judge your background to be. But if you can pass their qualifying exam coming in, you'd have a good argument for not having to retake classes.

eri said:
... But if you can pass their qualifying exam coming in, you'd have a good argument for not having to retake classes.

So if one arranges to sit the qualifying exam at the beginning and passes it, then one could proceed to PhD after that without retaking classes? Or it will require some additional argument?

elivil said:
So if one arranges to sit the qualifying exam at the beginning and passes it, then one could proceed to PhD after that without retaking classes? Or it will require some additional argument?

at most universities, it'll take some extra argument. Remember, these places are looking for money in terms of tuition, so if they can force you to take classes, they are going to do it.

Dr Transport said:
at most universities, it'll take some extra argument. Remember, these places are looking for money in terms of tuition, so if they can force you to take classes, they are going to do it.

Are you saying that if you could get more money out of people by forcing them to do something, you would?

Dr Transport said:

that doesn't make sense to me. at most phd porgrams in the US, it's the school/professors paying for your tuition and stuff. if they could move you right into research, why wouldn't they?

why would they spend their money making you take classes, classes that are suppose to build up the skill of students so they can do reserach (and said someone can move right into research)?

I can tell you for certain that at my grad school you are not required to take the standard courses in Classical Mechanics, E+M etc. Even students without a masters degree are not required to take them. They are just there to help you pass your qualifying exam. There is some coursework required but these are more advanced specialized courses.

In the end, you can probably ask the departments you are considering applying to what their policy is on this.

flemmyd said:
that doesn't make sense to me. at most phd porgrams in the US, it's the school/professors paying for your tuition and stuff. if they could move you right into research, why wouldn't they?

why would they spend their money making you take classes, classes that are suppose to build up the skill of students so they can do reserach (and said someone can move right into research)?

Even though I had a Masters and almost all of the coursework I needed for a PhD, I was only allowed to transfer 2 classes toward my PhD at my new institution. The reason i was given was that they wanted the $$ from my research contract for tuition... The university would not allow a person to directly enroll in a PhD program even with a prior Master's degree. Unless your new school allows it, you'll have to take a bunch of courses and pay tuition, either your pocket or your advisers, for the repeat of some of your coursework. In this economy, I would think that it would be worse than the early '90's.

Dr Transport said:
In this economy, I would think that it would be worse than the early '90's.
On the other hand, 20 years is plenty for people to come to their senses :smile:

I don't think it's helpful to try and discern why a university acts as it does. What is relevant is that universities have certain residency requirements for a degree, and these determine how many credits can transfer. This varies enormously from place to place, as well as circumstances. (A university hires a professor away from somewhere else, and he wants to bring his students with him. He will likely negotiate an arrangement whereby the students don't start from Square One.)

1. Can I use my masters degree from Europe to skip masters courses in a US graduate school?

It is ultimately up to the individual US graduate school to determine if they will accept your masters degree from Europe and allow you to skip certain courses. Some schools may have specific guidelines or requirements for international degrees, so it is best to check with the admissions office of your desired graduate program.

2. Will skipping masters courses affect my chances of getting accepted into a US graduate school?

This will depend on the specific graduate program and the courses you are trying to skip. In some cases, having a masters degree from Europe may actually strengthen your application and show that you have advanced knowledge in your field of study.

3. Can I still receive credit for my European masters degree if I am allowed to skip certain courses in a US graduate program?

Yes, it is possible to receive credit for your European masters degree even if you are allowed to skip certain courses in a US graduate program. This will also depend on the policies of the specific graduate school, so it is important to check with them beforehand.

4. Will skipping masters courses affect my ability to obtain a work visa in the US after graduation?

In most cases, skipping masters courses in a US graduate program will not affect your ability to obtain a work visa after graduation. As long as you have completed the necessary requirements for your degree, you should still be eligible for a work visa.

5. Are there any other factors I should consider before trying to skip masters courses in a US graduate program?

It is important to thoroughly research the policies and requirements of the specific US graduate program you are interested in. Skipping courses may also mean missing out on valuable knowledge and experiences, so it is important to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.