Japan Earthquake: Nuclear Plants at Fukushima Daiichi

In summary: RCIC consists of a series of pumps, valves, and manifolds that allow coolant to be circulated around the reactor pressure vessel in the event of a loss of the main feedwater supply.In summary, the earthquake and tsunami may have caused a loss of coolant at the Fukushima Daiichi NPP, which could lead to a meltdown. The system for cooling the reactor core is designed to kick in in the event of a loss of feedwater, and fortunately this appears not to have happened yet.
  • #7,491
MadderDoc said:
When I say pressure, you can assume that I am talking absolute pressure, Tepcos data are gauge. Thank you so much for pointing me to the tabular data, that is most convenient (drool).

Indeed, I had it also parked there, that since data appeared to say nothing particular happened -- reactor-wise -- then probably nothing of that sort happened. It could have been some plastic caught fire, lubricant, whatever giving off yucky smoke, but nothing really to see as a main development. Oh well.

The data is also in csv format if you want to manipulate it in some way. You should be able to spot the links on this page, as they are preceded by the word csv:

http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/fukushima-np/

None of the CAMS readings seem to do anything different at that point on the 21st at reactor 3, so I am still not really sure what to think. When reading the wikipedia entry it sounds like they blamed the fuel pool for the smoke on the 21st, and it was the darker smoke of the 23rd that caused more reactor suspicion at the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
  • #7,492
MadderDoc said:
This, elektrownik, is a most interesting document. It includes far more datapoints than I have seen before, including during the most interesting moments. I've previously estimated the pressure drop within the containment during the explosion of unit 3 to be >=0.1 MPa. Based on this document, the estimate of DW pressure drop must be revised to >=0.4MPa.

It is also news to me from this document, that the RPV during the period of the 'black smoke event' on March 21st briefly peaked out at >12MPa, before it dropped back abruptly and went down to to atmospheric. My,my.
Perhaps I am missing a physical connection between pressure in the drywell and the pressure in the building, but if there was one, a 0.4 MPa pressure drop would turn a SFP full of water at near 100°C into a SFP full of steam expanding at a rapid rate - possibly 340 m/s.

At 0.5 MPa, water will boil at 81.33°C.
http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_steam.htm"

• #7,493
MadderDoc said:
I agree, we can leave the theory that the exhaust stack pipes between unit 3 and 4 after the explosion in unit 3 would have been able to lead hydrogen from unit 3 to unit 4.

If I remember correctly Tepco's original idea was that the leak of hydrogen to unit 4 went through the 'gas treatment lines'. I suggest what could be meant there is the large pipe system running along the turbine buildings, leading to a minor building at the Centralized Radiation Waste Treatment Facility, and from there to the big south exhaust stack SW of unit 4.

I don't know if these lines have something to do with the reactor buildings. Visual analysis on the pictures seem to show that they are coming from the turbine buildings, but who knows how it's laid out inside. I don't see very well how this could lead to reactor hydrogen from N°3 going to reactor 4.

Did you remark by the way (i'm sure some did already :approve:) that a huge chunk of concrete from probably N°3 reactor landed right on the two long parallel tubings just at the level of N°4 reactor? This is a huge piece and i wonder from where it could come fron N°2 reactor (see the thickness of this!):

http://www.netimago.com/image_200794.html
On this view, based on some known distance (the distance between the pillars of N04 reactor for example), this chunk is around 7-8 meters wide and 4 meters thick...

http://www.netimago.com/image_200796.html
On this view, based on some known distance (the distance between the pillars of N04 reactor for example), this chunk is around 7-8 by 6-7 meters big...

The shape is very intiguing also...

Too thick to come from a regular wall, so maybe a piece of a floor or... a piece of containment?

I'm wondering if this is not one of the big chunk that we see falling down on the right side of plume during N°3 reactor explosion.

EDIT I correct immediately what i just said about this huge piece of concrete. It's not coming from N°3 explosion, as this piece doesn't appear at this place on satellite view after this explosion:

http://www.netimago.com/image_200872.html

This huge piece comes probably from N°4 "1st floor visible" (actually it is i think second floor) broken wall.

Look at this picture:

http://www.netimago.com/image_200874.html

The hole just behind the big chunk on the rightmost side of the wall is IMHO where it comes from.

Looking at how thick this piece of concrete is, we can imagine the force of the explosion at this place to break such a piece in a place which seems a little far from the attic SFPs where H2 "could" have originated (the only place in fact where there was fuel). Did the explosion at N°4 originated in the lowest floors in this area? The only place where the roof has disappeared is above this place and the north wall is heavily dislocated.

• #7,494
MadderDoc said:
I agree, we can leave the theory that the exhaust stack pipes between unit 3 and 4 after the explosion in unit 3 would have been able to lead hydrogen from unit 3 to unit 4.

If I remember correctly Tepco's original idea was that the leak of hydrogen to unit 4 went through the 'gas treatment lines'. I suggest what could be meant there is the large pipe system running along the turbine buildings, leading to a minor building at the Centralized Radiation Waste Treatment Facility, and from there to the big south exhaust stack SW of unit 4.

(off topic)

This helicopterfootage shows (at 5:30) some piping next to reactor 4 that has been ruptured and seems to be coming from the exhaust stack between units 3 and 4
There's some strange yellowish material that is laying on the pipe.

Looking at the posted high resolution arial photo of this area I notice a ' streak ' of yellow material that seems to point towards the big hole on top of the turbine building next to unit 3
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8693/reactor4piping2.jpg

And then I notice the shape of the hole compared to the yellow cap visible in unit 4 :

(Highly speculative ...)

Could this hole in the roof have been formed by the yellow reactorcap from unit3 ?

And the yellow streak be scattered debris from the impact ?

What else here is yellow ( not yellowcake I presume ?)Not that I expect a confirmation of course , I don't know if TEPCO has even been able to investigate that part.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/561/aerial201133002011yello.jpg

• #7,495
jlduh said:
Where did you get this picture? When was it taken? Are you sure it was there (the scaffold builder) when the explosion occurred? I don't see it on the pictures...

I found that old picture from Reuters here:
http://hken.ibtimes.com/articles/124108/20110318/fukushima-daiichi-nuclear-power-plant-risks-at-each-reactor-japan-stricken-plant.htm

It is from 2008, so their work should be done.

Very good observations from you, but my english ist too limited to discuss in this professional circle. Let me say just thanks to all contributors of this excellent thread!

• #7,496
jlduh said:
One possibility IHMO being that the RPV got eaten by the corium, maybe helped with some local criticality... Your opinion?

By the way, the BLACK SMOKE was reported on March 23, not 21 if I'm not wrong...

But of course, black smoke can be the visual effect seen from outside of an event started earlier inside the RPV.

I haven't been able to form an opinion on things like criticality or corium traveeling past the rpv, I don't feel like I have enough information yet and there seem to be sensible arguments both for and against these things.

There were several smoke events during that week, and you are correct that the latter one is the one that seems to be described as black. I think I just talked a little bit about this in my last post, I will say more once I have looked at more data.

• #7,497
SteveElbows said:
I do wonder if there has been a large release of data officially at this time because of the leak to the newspaper, and this is TEPCO responding by publishing the material themselves.

For example the following Japanese page appears to have some very large pdfs which contain the raw data from the period, collected in a bewildering array of forms and those little measurement graphs that get plotted in realtime by clunky old equipment at the plant:

http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/fukushima-np/index10-j.html

OK I've had a bit more time to look at documents on this page, wow its a treasure trove. And it does seem quite likely that its the same material a newspaper got hold of, so TEPCO have released it themselves to stop further speculation I guess.

Many of the documents are going to be hard for us to understand due to language issues, or extremely technical nature of the documents, or just poor legibility. However I believe that documents in sections 5 and 6 of that page contain a wealth of reactor data from the hours immediately following the arthquake. Some of it we have seen in far more readable form elsewhere, such as the other documents that we have been talking about today which show some additional reactor pressure, temperature, water level & CAMS readings. But there is far more, it seems to show us when certain pieces of equipment are switched on and off, stuff to do with RCIC and other systems including what look like flow rates upon first inspection. I have no doubt it will take a while to figure all this out, and there may not be a huge amount of interest, but for someone who undersatnds this stuff there may be some stories of some of the things that went wrong in the first hours, buried in this data.

Documents in section 4 looks like notes and is going to be tough to comprehend but should be skimmed through anyway because there are some photographs of some hideous whiteboards from hell that likely show the frantic scribblings of those first responding to the disaster.

• #7,498
Another translation by EX-SKF:

PM Assistant Hosono said that there was no water being poured into the Reactor 1 for 14 hours and 9 minutes, Reactor 2 for 6 hours and 29 minutes, and Reactor 3 for 6 hours and 43 minutes. He said "We should be prepared for the possibility of the complete meltdown of the reactor core."

http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/05/asahi-shinbun-core-meltdown-in-reactors.html

• #7,499
The same source:

According to TEPCO, based on the records, the Reactors 1, 2 and 3 stopped automatically after the quake, and there was no sign of any physical damage to the reactor. Emergency diesel power generators were working. TEPCO concluded that all the equipments were working normally after the quake and there was no major damage to the plant until the tsunami hit.Well, this last bit is highly questionable. Other reports say that the emergency core cooling system stopped working even before the tsunami hit, and that a very high level of radiation was detected at the reactor building of Reactor 1 on the night of March 11, too high unless the RPV and the Containment Vessel were breached by the earthquake, not by tsunami.

• #7,500
Uagrepus said:
I found that old picture from Reuters here:
http://hken.ibtimes.com/articles/124108/20110318/fukushima-daiichi-nuclear-power-plant-risks-at-each-reactor-japan-stricken-plant.htm

It is from 2008, so their work should be done.

Very good observations from you, but my english ist too limited to discuss in this professional circle. Let me say just thanks to all contributors of this excellent thread!

Ok, thanks, if it's 2008 the work should be finished, yes :smile: I was thinking of a recent picture just before the accident...

• #7,501
triumph61 said:
The same source:

According to TEPCO, based on the records, the Reactors 1, 2 and 3 stopped automatically after the quake, and there was no sign of any physical damage to the reactor. Emergency diesel power generators were working. TEPCO concluded that all the equipments were working normally after the quake and there was no major damage to the plant until the tsunami hit.Well, this last bit is highly questionable. Other reports say that the emergency core cooling system stopped working even before the tsunami hit, and that a very high level of radiation was detected at the reactor building of Reactor 1 on the night of March 11, too high unless the RPV and the Containment Vessel were breached by the earthquake, not by tsunami.

We should be able to learn more about the using the data that was released today, including the hard to grasp documentation that I have been describing as a treasure trove here today.

http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/fukushima-np/index10-j.html

Ive been working backwards through that page seeing what the documents are. In addition to the useful sections I mentioned earlier, section 3 contains a number of raw logs and a lot of detail about the control rods and their status once the earthquake hit.

• #7,502
jim hardy said:
not showing off here, just trying to help non-boiler folks get a handle on what it means.

Thanks, I don't see it as showing off but rather as good, useful info. Just one question, if you have the time to answer:

Say you're running a 700 MW(e) plant. 400 tons of sea water (that is, about a swimming pool's worth, I liked your comparison a lot) suddenly show up in the condenser, some of it even makes it into the boiler before you realize something's wrong.

Is this a "corroded pipe bust a leak" or a "turbine blade sliced open the condenser" kind of event?

• #7,503
GJBRKS said:
This helicopterfootage shows (at 5:30) some piping next to reactor 4 that has been ruptured and seems to be coming from the exhaust stack between units 3 and 4.
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8693/reactor4piping2.jpg

I don't think, it is ruptured. Just a matter of perspective:

2e4k7z7.jpg

• #7,504
Did you notice this one?

The company says it took steps to make the waste facility more watertight, and received approval from the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency.
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/16_25.html

If a building is designed to be watertight you cannot make it any "more" watertight. It's either watertight or not. If there is even one leakage path, it's not a watertight building. And because this is a nuclear plant the general assumption is also that the watertight systems are still working if a building was designed to be watertight.

I am afraid that the waste facility was not designed to be watertight and now they are trying to fix this design flaw. Or alternatively, it has lost its watertight capabilities during years and now they are trying to fix leaks. Either way, now it seems that the waste facility is a potential leak source into the ground/groundwater because even if they try to fix it they might fail as they have to do it in a short time frame, I presume.

• #7,505
~kujala~ said:
Did you notice this one?

If a building is designed to be watertight you cannot make it any "more" watertight. It's either watertight or not. If there is even one leakage path, it's not a watertight building. And because this is a nuclear plant the general assumption is also that the watertight systems are still working if a building was designed to be watertight.

I am afraid that the waste facility was not designed to be watertight and now they are trying to fix this design flaw. Or alternatively, it has lost its watertight cabapilities during years and now they are trying to fix leaks. Either way, now it seems that the waste facility is a potential leak source into the ground/groundwater because even if they try to fix it they might fail as they have to do it in a short time frame, I presume.

Maybe the earthquake damaged the plant enough for it to leak?
It just seems implausible that anyone would design a leaky nuclear waste water treatment plant.

• #7,506
It was a 9.0 earthquake, can't be to surprised something broke or got loose. Then there is the tsunami where the sea reportedly receded leaving 300 feet of the sea floor exposed before the tsunami arrived. No intake for the water cooling system during that period and a gusher heading into any unprotected channels and pipes leading back into the plant during the peak of the tsunami.

• #7,507
GJBRKS said:
(off topic)
What else here is yellow ( not yellowcake I presume ?)

Going further off topic. Rock wool is yellow. It is found in roofs, for purposes of insulation.

I cannot imagine a kind of explosion that would smash that cap into tiny little pieces. Not even a nuke could do that, the cap would vaporize first.

Small explosions might rock it a bit off its seat or maybe bust a hole clean through if there was something small and heavy inside that got propelled real fast by a high speed blast (another thing I don't believe in, because the horrible amount of damage suggests low speed, long pulse, plenty of time for concrete to realize what's happening and start to crack).

Big explosions could make it fly off as a whole or maybe (maybe!) crack at a seam and open up like a can of sardines, IF it has any seams, IF it was too well anchored.

I do not believe in many small chunks of high-grade steel, all of them falling painted side up and not scorched/blackened by soot in the aftermath of the explosion that made them part company.

• #7,508
Here is TEPCOs english description of the document treasure trove:

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11051610-e.html

So they have not translated the data to english yet (im not surprised given the form it takes), but at least we have more context for why this data is suddenly with us. It is the report containing data that NISA demanded TEPCO hand over about various parameters of the plant at the time of the quake and the hours immediately afterwards, TEPCO finally delivered it.

I still would not be surprised if this is what that newspaper got their hands on very recently.

• #7,509
First post, not a journo or troll, being an engineer just interested, please bear with me I have one question
I remember that in the Chernobyl incident that they tunnelled under the reactor core. Initially to install a large air conditioning unit. Then decided to fill it with concrete.To stop the corium core hitting water below which would have caused a very large explosion. How do this relate to this incident ?
God bless the miners that dug that "room"
tia

• #7,510
etudiant said:
Maybe the earthquake damaged the plant enough for it to leak?
It just seems implausible that anyone would design a leaky nuclear waste water treatment plant.

Sorry, I forgot that damn quake! :redface:
(It is the third alternative, of course.)

• #7,511
http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/betu11_e/images/110516e12.pdf

After the tsunami, the paper records of reactor pressures stopped in units 1 and 2.

"We assume that because of Tsunami, electricity for instruments was lost, the pressure transmitter’s signal became abnormal and the chart stopped."

So immediately after loss of power, the operators were blind? How can crucial equipment be allwed to be so dependent on mains power?

Unit 3 has data of the water level after the tsunami. Within about an hour, it goes of scale. After two hours it comes back, and oscillates a few times with a huge amplitude. Difficult to understand what is going on there.

• #7,512
elektrownik said:
Here are 60 pages of data plots: http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/fukushima-np/plant-data/f1_8_Parameter_graph.pdf

Page 30 shows CAMS readings from the Unit 2 suppression chamber (B) from the middle of April till now. I cannot really pinpoint dates, but there are large peaks (up to 160 Sv/h) with a valley of about 40 Sv/h.

There seems to be a correlation with drywell temperature RPV (C):
http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~stolfi/EXPORT/projects/fukushima/plots/cur/plot-un3-full.png

Is this where the corium is, in the middle of the torus? Is it going critical some weeks?

• #7,513
SteveElbows said:
None of the CAMS readings seem to do anything different at that point on the 21st at reactor 3, so I am still not really sure what to think. When reading the wikipedia entry it sounds like they blamed the fuel pool for the smoke on the 21st, and it was the darker smoke of the 23rd that caused more reactor suspicion at the time?

Of the March 23 smoke event there seems no trace of in the data.

Using the tabular data reveals that the high pressure event on 21 March was already early during the night hours, so the smoke event we have seen on daylight photos from that date might well also not have anything to with each other.

Concomitant with the 21 March high pressure measured by the RPV A sensor, the B sensor went the other way and measured a drop to atmospheric pressure, also unstable water level was registered around at that time. The event was followed by the CVs dropping to atmospheric pressure during the morning, it has stayed at atmospheric ever since The wet-well pressure appears to have been critically high, about 0.5 MPa, in the evening on March 20 before the high pressure event past midnight on March 21. Pressure data for the wet-well is absent, from late March 20 until early March 24.

I've no idea what went on, but there seems to me too many indications of changes going on concurrently to dismiss it easily as just a data fluke.

Last edited:
  • #7,514
From the http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/05/asahi-shinbun-core-meltdown-in-reactors.html" Posted by arevamirpal::laprimavera, his interpretations...
The data disclosed on May 16 was the data right after the earthquake on March 11. It took TEPCO some time to retrieve the data from the central control room of the plant because of the long period of power outage and the radioactive materials on the recorded printout. The data in 4 large binders includes graphs on the printout and operation diaries kept for each shift.
With pin-feed printouts and notes caught in the fallout which had to be de-contaminated and not being sent electronically using battery backup to an offsite network server via satellite, kinda funny...okay maybe not.

• #7,515
~kujala~ said:
Did you notice this one?

If a building is designed to be watertight you cannot make it any "more" watertight. It's either watertight or not.

I have noticed that sometimes discussion focuses on one word. Although that may be very important, I would like to suggest that in such cases you need to consult the original text!

I am not a native speaker of English, but even to me it looks like the translations you find in our media are not provided by native speakers of English. Am I mistaken? Do you find the English reports from Kyoudou News and NHK are proper sounding English?

For exact analysis you need at least a translator who is a native speaker and who can correct errors in the translation. This is just my opinion.

• #7,516
jlduh said:
This huge piece comes probably from N°4 "1st floor visible" (actually it is i think second floor) broken wall.

Look at this picture:

http://www.netimago.com/image_200874.html

The hole just behind the big chunk on the rightmost side of the wall is IMHO where it comes from.

Looking at how thick this piece of concrete is, we can imagine the force of the explosion at this place to break such a piece in a place which seems a little far from the attic SFPs where H2 "could" have originated (the only place in fact where there was fuel). Did the explosion at N°4 originated in the lowest floors in this area? The only place where the roof has disappeared is above this place and the north wall is heavily dislocated.

I think perhaps this chunk might be from the top level of panels. From the low position it would seem a big ventilator thing have miraculously escaped the collision. Against this thought speaks the apparent low grade damage to the pipe on which the chunk fell.

The more I look at unit 4, the more an impression forms of a building thoroughly filled with a mixture of hydrogen and air enough to cause a widespread deflagration, if not an explosion.

I've attached a frame from the THawk trip along the turbine buildings showing the chunk.

Attachments

• unit4_chunk.jpg
    unit4_chunk.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 455
  • #7,517
i have played a little bit with the new data.
no big conclusions yet (except that the CAMS data of #1 was definitely invalid after that 100Sv peak in early april)

but maybe it's a starting point for someone else (i have converted the date to hours after scram and the exponential [text]values of the CAMS data into real numbers. bonustrack: double logarithmic diagram time/CAMS ;-))

as this forum does not allow openoffice uploads, and no excel larger than 100kb, i have put them on my server:

http://bytepirates.com/fuku/unit1data.ods
http://bytepirates.com/fuku/unit2data.ods
http://bytepirates.com/fuku/unit3data.ods

or excel, if you need it

http://bytepirates.com/fuku/unit1data.xls
http://bytepirates.com/fuku/unit2data.xls
http://bytepirates.com/fuku/unit3data.xls

• #7,518
ernal_student said:
Am I mistaken? Do you find the English reports from Kyoudou News and NHK are proper sounding English?

For exact analysis you need at least a translator who is a native speaker and who can correct errors in the translation. This is just my opinion.

The English in the news from Kyodo and NHK is proper English. Perhaps a little bit awkward but difficulties in keeping literality of meaning and tone between the two languages is obvious.

Very interesting but OT - semiotics:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0297830015/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Note: I am native English with so-so Japanese.

• #7,519
ernal_student said:
I have noticed that sometimes discussion focuses on one word. Although that may be very important, I would like to suggest that in such cases you need to consult the original text!

I agree. Here is the original article:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/genpatsu-fukushima/20110516/1655_3gouki.html

wherein the phrase used is "水漏れ対策," or "water leak counter-measures" -- i.e., they fixed a leak (or some leaks).

I am not a native speaker of English, but even to me it looks like the translations you find in our media are not provided by native speakers of English. Am I mistaken? Do you find the English reports from Kyoudou News and NHK are proper sounding English?

NHK's written English is pretty good, actually. In the referenced article only one error jumped out at me: "there is about 22,000 tons of [...] water" instead of "there are about 22,000 tons of [...] water." But that is an error a native speaker might make, if distracted by "water" being an uncountable noun.

Yes, that is also my opinion. Some organizations use non-native translators, and then have native English speakers simply correct the grammar. But that will not catch translation errors, unless the native English speaker can check against the original Japanese (in which case they might as well have done the translating in the first place). The result is then polished-sounding, but incorrect. Which may be more dangerous than an obviously flawed translation, which should at least alert readers not to over-interpret.

(I don't know what NHK's policy is.)

Last edited:
  • #7,520
jlduh said:
<..> could it be possible that they were doing some maintenance on the vent at this place, so the pipe was disconnected at this point when explosion happened?

A photo taken right after the tsunami shows the pipe connected and in fine shape, one can also glean from the photo how it was then supported, see attachment.

Of interest, on later pictures, we can see that the curved tubing that was intact after the explosion in now... bent towards the ground!
Well seen. It has also now gotten a new interim support.
Edit: on further consideration, this is not a new support, it is the original support now just bent with the pipe. The existence of the support could be why this part stands back unscathed while the connecting pipes to the reactor building were snapped off and crunched on the ground by falling debris.
See it:
http://www.netimago.com/image_200769.html

Do you think they bent it purposely in between? Why? For the crane to go maybe?

It does not look to like an intentional damage, and it would also not make much sense for anyone to bother making it. A possibility is the fallen concrete structure from the service floor SW corner, it might have hit the pipe. The structure was aloft after the explosion, but in this photo series it is up there no more.

Attachments

• 20110311_unit3_west.jpg
    20110311_unit3_west.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 422
  • #7,521
rowmag said:
I agree. Here is the original article:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/genpatsu-fukushima/20110516/1655_3gouki.html

wherein the phrase used is "水漏れ対策," or "water leak counter-measures" -- i.e., they fixed a leak (or some leaks).
The sentence where this appears could also mean something like "... TEPCO performed water leak countermeasures at a different building" - which, from what is written before that, could mean that the current facility is overburdened and they need to prepare another place.
In any case, whether it means fixing leaks, in my opinion "more watertight" is not a good translation. It is also logically wrong (someone already said that).

Even if you think the translations are good English (something I can probably not judge), I think we should look at the original text when there is some strange sounding information.

Thank you also for correcting my impression.

• #7,522
The NRC is winding things down in Japan...

"The United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission said on Monday that its 24-hour operations center had stopped monitoring the nuclear reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant because the situation there had improved. “The conditions at the Japanese reactors are slowly stabilizing,” said William Borchardt, the agency’s chief staff official."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/17/world/asia/17briefs-Fukushima.html?_r=1

Sayonara!

• #7,523
Here is one of the stories that emerges with the early data:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/17_04.html

An emergency condenser system at the Number 1 reactor functioned for less than 10 minutes after the earthquake. The failure lasted for 3 hours.

The utility suspects that workers manually shut down the system as pressure inside the reactor became so low that they were afraid of damage.

• #7,524
pdObq said:
Looking at that webpage, it says "built on solid bedrock" explicitly only for Daiichi. So, should I interpret that as Daini and Kashiwazaki Kariwa are not?

ernal_student said:
I tried to locate a Japanese page with the related information on the TEPCO website, but many pages have been replaced by a note concerning the emergency since the earthquake, and I have been unable to find such information in Japanese. I would not argue about the English text until you have seen the Japanese original. That is just my opinion.

Yes, I fully agree with you. My comment above was intended to be somewhat ironical.

• #7,525
Find attached photos from two angles of a cylindrical oject lying leaned to the roof wall of turbine building 3. Seen from the THawk angle, one can well interpret the object as being connected to the piping there, i.e part of the original installation, albeit somewhat damaged. However, seen from the west in a zoom from one of the herostratic high resolution photos, it can be seen that it is not mounted, but has crashed on top of the original pipe. It has not been possible for me to find any satellite photo from before the unit3 explosion showing this object. So, I am led to believe that this object could be one of the ballistic objects. I have no idea what it could be, and where it sat in the building before the explosion. No high hopes that anybody can identify it, there are few clues except shape and a peculiar coat it appears to have been lined with.

Attachments

• bal1.jpg
    bal1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 465
  • bal2.jpg
    bal2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 467