Line Integral Question (Vertical line issues)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of a wire using a line integral. The wire lies along a piecewise linear curve from (2,2) to (12,4) to (12,9) and its density is given by (xy)=2xy+6x. The conversation also mentions using two separate line integrals and provides a parametric equation for the line segment from (12,4) to (12,9). The final step is to parametrize the linear density and integrate to find the mass of the wire.
Lothar

Homework Statement

A wire lies along the piecewise linear curve extending from the point (2,2) to the point (12,4) to the point (12,9). If the density of the wire is given by (xy)=2xy+6x, use a line integral to find the mass of the wire.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to do two separate line integrals and add them.

For the first half (2,2 to 12,4) I got
integral from 2 to 12 of [(2(t)((1/5)t+(8/5))+6t] sqrt(1+(1/5)^2) which comes out to be 890.629

For the second part, I know it should be integral from 4 to 9, but I'm having issues finding the correct equation for the line from (12,4) to (12,9).

I've tried just using the y parametrization of p(x,y) which is <t,(1/5)t+8/5>, but I'm not getting the right answers.

Can anyone help me out with this? I have an exam during the next week.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A parametric equation of the line segment with the starting point (12,4) and end point (12, 9) is: r(t)=(1-t)(12,4)+t(12,9)=(12, 4+5t), where 0=<t=<1.

That is x(t)=12, and y(t)=4+5t. Now just parametrize the linear density, and integrate. Don't forget the ds term though.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path or curve. It takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the function at each point along the path.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve, while a line integral calculates the value of a function along a specific path or curve. In other words, a regular integral is two-dimensional, while a line integral is three-dimensional.

3. What are "vertical line issues" in a line integral?

"Vertical line issues" refer to a specific problem that can arise when calculating a line integral along a vertical line. This is because the path along a vertical line does not have a well-defined direction, which can cause issues when evaluating the integral.

4. How can "vertical line issues" be resolved?

There are a few ways to resolve "vertical line issues" in a line integral. One method is to break the original path into smaller, non-vertical segments and calculate the integral for each segment. Another method is to use a different coordinate system, such as polar coordinates, which can avoid the issue altogether.

5. What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to calculate work done by a force, electric fields, fluid flow, and more. In computer graphics, line integrals are used to calculate lighting and shading effects on 3D objects.